Moving to Colorado with a Prerunner, have some ?'s

Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
I like turtlessss
cflks411 is on a distinguished road

Army: 1st Cav
Name: Kris
cflks411's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to Colorado with a Prerunner, have some ?'s

So as the title says, Im being stationed in Colorado. Ive never really driven in snow or ice except when I was overseas. I have an 05 prerunner which is RWD. Im thinking of getting a front bumper with a winch in case I do end up off the roads and all terrain tires/snow tires if I find any. Im not sureif this is even worth the time/money since the vehicle is just a road truck right now til its paid off. Is there anything else I should look into getting? Cant go to a 4x4 since Im still paying this off (has been les than a yea since I owned it). any help would be great. Thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a dedicated set of ice/snow tires for the winter, not AT tires for winter.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
I like turtlessss

Just swap between normal tires and these when the snow comes?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Stupid should be painful!
W Bishop is on a distinguished road
Name: Walt
W Bishop's Tacoma Gallery
What 104X4 says and put a little weight in the back maybe 2 sand bags from Lowe's and drive safe. You are probably going be in the foot hills, so not much to be concerned about. They get snow but not like you will have to deal with it every day.

With all that weight you be putting on I would think you need to beef up the front end some, more money.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on a set of ice/snow tires. Don't put money into a winch or bumper and don't go off-road. Now you know why people in snowy states think prerunners are pointless and there is never a "can I convert my 4X4 to a prerunner?" thread on TacomaWorld.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
I like turtlessss

Im going to be in Colorado Springs. Don't know the climate there really, I went during the summr last time was there. Family that lives about 20 minutes south of there ha a bunch of snow yesterday. When you say beef up the front end, are in talking about adding more weight per say?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
I like turtlessss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post
X2 on a set of ice/snow tires. Don't put money into a winch or bumper and don't go off-road. Now you know why people in snowy states think prerunners are pointless and there is never a "can I convert my 4X4 to a prerunner?" thread on TacomaWorld.

Im stationed in texas right now and Im from Forida origionally, never needed 4x4. Some stuff came up and pow, im going to CO lol. Wish I knew this before I bought the truck. Oh well
Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

Don't worry about the front end. A nice set of high pressure gas shocks on all four corners would be nice, though.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
I like turtlessss

Appreciate the help. I have to get my wife a vehicle once we get out there. Maybe Ill be getting myself a new truck and letting her use this one
Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #11

^^ Problem solved.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Stupid should be painful!
W Bishop is on a distinguished road
Name: Walt
W Bishop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflks411 View Post
Im going to be in Colorado Springs. Don't know the climate there really, I went during the summr last time was there. Family that lives about 20 minutes south of there ha a bunch of snow yesterday. When you say beef up the front end, are in talking about adding more weight per say?
No I was talking about you adding front bumper with a winch that's a lot of weight and you would need to beef up the front springs and shocks. Just my thought.

Col Springs is cool. I would live their and not have any concerns about the winters. Now you go in the mountains you might get some snow chains as they have chain laws they can put in affect any time it gets bad.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
I like turtlessss

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Bishop View Post
No I was talking about you adding front bumper with a winch that's a lot of weight and you would need to beef up the front springs and shocks. Just my thought.

Col Springs is cool. I would live their and not have any concerns about the winters. Now you go in the mountains you might get some snow chains as they have chain laws they can put in affect any time it gets bad.

ahh gotcha, I planned on getting a new suspension anyways regardless if I get the bumper or not.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just swap between normal tires and these when the snow comes?
+100

Most RWD vehicles will be fine with dedicated snow tires and in our case some weight in the back. In CoSprings you won't get snow very often but when you do it could be gnarly. It melts in a week or so in any-case.

Most of our snow hits in early March stretching to April depending on the year and it comes in waves. Nothing, nothing, nothing, then we'll get 1.5 ft and it melts in 3-14 days. When I first moved here five years ago I though the weather was very erratic.

If you go into the mountains every weekend in the winter you might want to consider a 4wd/4x4 but it's not required. For summer trails on mountain passes I wouldn't even consider it in a 2WD unless the trail can be conquered in a car.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
TugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
TugBoatTrash's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So as the title says, Im being stationed in Colorado. Ive never really driven in snow or ice except when I was overseas. I have an 05 prerunner which is RWD. Im thinking of getting a front bumper with a winch in case I do end up off the roads and all terrain tires/snow tires if I find any. Im not sureif this is even worth the time/money since the vehicle is just a road truck right now til its paid off. Is there anything else I should look into getting? Cant go to a 4x4 since Im still paying this off (has been les than a yea since I owned it). any help would be great. Thanks
I have been had many winters with RWD trucks. They are not so bad as long as you are careful. It can even be a heck of a lot of fun. You don't necessarily need dedicated snow tires. Just a good set of AT's. Drive smart and put some weight in the bed.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugBoatTrash View Post
I have been had many winters with RWD trucks. They are not so bad as long as you are careful. It can even be a heck of a lot of fun. You don't necessarily need dedicated snow tires. Just a good set of AT's. Drive smart and put some weight in the bed.
That works until ice hits and you are trying to go up a mountain.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
TugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
TugBoatTrash's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
That works until ice hits and you are trying to go up a mountain.
If its mostly ice your not getting up in four wheel drive either…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KyLuhdDQ
Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry too much, the Front Range is pretty mild, my 5-lug gets me around just fine with 4 60lb bags of sand.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #19
voodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

voodoojk's Tacoma Gallery
just get dedicated snow tires like Nokian Hakka 7's or the new Nokian R2. Put sand bag in the bed over the rear axle and carry a set of chains/cables for the just in case situation. I can guarantee that you will go explore the mountains at some point and if you dont then ...well its just a waste. lol

FYI: Chain laws for normal cars/trucks dont exist in colorado. Only Commercial vehicles. If the roads get that bad they just close them and plow for a few hours then re-open. So chains are not needed...its just a back up if you are out exploring.

Take my advice for what it is... but i live in the co mountains, i sell snow tires for a living and work at land rover so i pretty much covered all the basics ( mountains, tires, off road) lol
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
^^^X2^^^
Snow tires, sand in back, rear tire chains. Thats for mountain driving. You won't need it in Col Springs. That town is one of the prettiest in the US. You will do fine.:-)