1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having a few minor issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NightShades, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Jan 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    NightShades

NightShades [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Bug Deflector, Bed Extender, Roof Racks
    So, i have 94,000 miles on my Tacoma and its an 05.. been very well maintained, and I want to know if other people have experienced these issues..

1. The Door locks of this truck constantly fail. Had them replaced under warranty once, and to this day 1 or 2 of the doors do not lock or unlock when you press the button.. I think Toyota uses a really bad door lock maker... and I dont think its worth it to pay 1,000 for them to be replaced again.

2. The suspension is making weird sounds, especially on dirt roads... I dont ever go offroad,, but it sounds like the shocks are going out or they are hiting the bump stops on dirt roads... sounds very weird.. anyone notice this.. (normal driving, not huge bumps or jumps..) (Should i get it checked out? Driving on normal roads, i never experience this..)

3. THe brakes kinda suck... It seems like the anti-lock brake system activates sometimes when it shouldnt, prematurely..... Even after a brake job, and getting them tested at a brake place, i have always experienced this where the brake pedal locks up and you get the anti-lock kicking in and u slide, and then get pedal feel back...

Wanting to know if other people experience this, and i should do something about it, or its just normal for this truck....

Thanks.

2. Jan 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    My electric locks have 0 issues, and I have an '05 and lock and unlock that bitch constantly during the course of a day. Now that I brought it up, mine will probably shit the bed.

3. Jan 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Don't know about the door lock issue. The suspension now, your at 94k miles I'd replace the shocks, I say shocks are good for about 50k miles. Need more info on this? The sounds your hearing etc.
    The brakes on the tacomas have always been a little soft, mine were kinda crappy and I bled the brakes and the pedal feel is way better. I don't know about the abs issue you speak about, haven't had this problem. I'm at 79k with original brakes ( that need to be replaced next year):D

Thanks,

Brett

4. Jan 13, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    NightShades

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Also when I take off from a stop after starting the truck before I go I hear a weird groan.. But it's only right before I leave.. Then it goes away.

5. Jan 13, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    Sounds like an aquarium pump type sound? That's the ABS self checking, happens when you start the truck, then move in either direction.

6. Jan 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    NightShades

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Smith. Exactly. I was worried it was something I would have to fix

7. Jan 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    Tacoma Off Course

Tacoma Off Course Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Houston, KS
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB Prerunner SR5
    Stuff
    I have no problems with the locks and I have an 05 with 175k miles. I bought mine with 150k and lifted it and replaced the shocks. The stock were in very bad shape so I'd replace those. Also I have only felt the ABS twice and both times it acted when it was supposed to, when I was slipping on snow and during rain. Other than that I never felt it activate for probably 20k miles.

8. Jan 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    I've never heard of lock issues with the Tacomas (I've had 3 tacos myself). Not sure what that's about.

Have you ever had the shocks replaced? You are wayy overdue if not. That could account for the clunking. And after 94k miles, i'm sure your leaf pack is saggy, which likely would account for the bottoming out and hitting the bump stops.

The abs is super sensitive. Mine kicks in and 'groans' anytime I leave the even pavement.

9. Jan 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    NightShades

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Well I guess everyone's trucks are slightly different.

10. Jan 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    NightShades

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    When I replace the shocks, do they replace the leaf pack as well? I dont know much about suspension, what I should buy and how much it might cost.

11. Jan 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    There are many routes to go. If you're a dealer kind of guy, you could just take it in to them and they would do the work (for an arm and a leg) with oem parts. Or you could order some online and have a mechanic do the shock swap. These seem to be a popular upgrade for the money here:
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com...able-5100-front-and-rear-5100-shock_p_31.html
    These will make a big difference for your suspension problem.
    And no, a leaf pack swap isn't part of a standard shock service. I imagine the dealer would charge 4-500 bucks for a new one (plus labor). Or like many people here you could order an add-a-leaf for your existing leaf pack to prop it up and firm it up some.
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com...af-for-Tacoma-with-rear-TSB-springs_p_16.html

12. Jan 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    Tacoma Off Course

Tacoma Off Course Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Houston, KS
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB Prerunner SR5
    Stuff
    I used a rear AAL and it lifted about 2" and stiffened the suspension extremely. Then the addition of longer rear shocks made the ride smooth.

Products Discussed in

To Top