1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front license plate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chrisefaw, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Mar 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    chrisefaw

chrisefaw [OP] Member

Member:
    Knightdale, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Acess Cab
    Is there a front license plate mount for Tacomas? I have a pewter East Carolina University plate that was on my old vehicle that I would really like to put on the front. I haven't done a ton of searching online but figured someone might have the answer here. Thanks!

it's not this one but the design with black lettering is similar

[​IMG]

2. Mar 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    Not really a mount, mine just had 2 holes in the front bumper for the screws.

3. Mar 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    chrisefaw

chrisefaw [OP] Member

Member:
    Knightdale, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Acess Cab
    i've got the two indentions, doesn't seem very sturdy to screw it right into the bumper though...that's why I was hoping there was a plastic mount toyota made or after marker

4. Mar 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Use Nylok nuts with proper sized bolts and drill thru the bumper. Use washers to distribute the pressure and you should be fine.

5. Mar 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    that's what I did. It's been on there for about 4 months now and haven't had any problems.

6. Mar 22, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    chrisefaw

chrisefaw [OP] Member

Member:
    Knightdale, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Acess Cab

can you post a picture? thanks!

7. Mar 22, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    If my state did not require front plates, I would go w/out. Looks much cleaner. :)

8. Mar 22, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    09 tacoma trd

09 tacoma trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 black tacoma dbl cab trd sport
  9. Mar 22, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy day. I'll post a pic when I get back to my computer. I'm on the girlfriend's computer right now. I only have 1 pic of it, but i'll take more of the bolts/washers whenever I get a chance if you need it after the 1st one.

10. Mar 22, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    chrisefaw

chrisefaw [OP] Member

Member:
    Knightdale, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Acess Cab
    thanks for the help dwalden2

11. Mar 22, 2009 at 10:51 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd

That's the only one I have right now. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic...and the dirty tag. I just put a small pilot hole in the dimples and then put a bolt through it. There is a washer on the outside and on the inside of the bumper. I thought it might make it a little more stable. I have lock nuts on the back. Might want to check it after a few days to make sure nothing's comin loose from the bumps and vibrations. I checked em a few days later, then about every other month

12. Mar 22, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    i took mine off (even though its californian law) cause the bottom of the plate was scratching my bumper. ANd i think it looks better.. except for the holes

13. Apr 2, 2009 at 4:11 AM
    dpd327

dpd327 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Everett, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport Double Cab SB 4X4 w/TRD CAT/BK
    Goodyear Wranglers, De-badged, Aviation Radio added (VHF and Marine band)
    Hey Folks,

This whole front license plate issue really sucks. What the heck is Toyota thinking? Did the engineers go to lunch when it came to designing something robust here? I guess those same knucklehead Toyota Engineerings are still out to lunch too BTW.

I take delivery of my Speedway Blue Taco tomorrow and told the dealer don't drill the holes...I am having the 3M product put on the whole front end and I will figure this out on my own.

License plates of the frontal variety are required here in Washington. As a Reliability Engineer for Boeing for 26 years, and working with design engineers all day every day, I am gonna come up with something in the near future. So far the Nylok bolts sound reasonable (they will stop an anode/cathode reaction between differing metals (License Plate and bolt) and should be secure. I am gonna see if I can create a nice looking bracket or something. I oughta charge the knuckleheads at Toyota for my labor too!

DPD327 (Jim)

14. Apr 2, 2009 at 5:59 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    Me 2, but I've gotten pulled over and issued a warning for not having my front plate. I wasn't doing anything else, no speeding, didn't run a stop sign, simply got pulled over and was told it was against texas law not to have a front plate. Cop even inspected that I had the holes in the bumper, I just had to install it.

15. Apr 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    dpd327

dpd327 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Everett, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport Double Cab SB 4X4 w/TRD CAT/BK
    Goodyear Wranglers, De-badged, Aviation Radio added (VHF and Marine band)
    Simon,

Obviously that trooper has way too much time on his hands...should have told him that the license plate was there last night when you came in the house....

DPD327

Products Discussed in

To Top