1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New brakes lines and pads.......rotors to?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Snyperx, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Mar 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    Snyperx

Snyperx [OP] Seniore Marcos

Member:
    I am looking at doing an easy upgrade to my truck by upgrading my brake lines and pads, but should I do the rotors also? I can do the following components for around $382 shipped from AutoAnything:

Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
    EBC Sport Rotors
    Goodridge G-stop SS Brake Lines

Subtract about $200 from the price without rotors. If I don't need the rotors I would rather not spend the $220 on them. Thoughts?

2. Mar 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM
    hate2work

hate2work Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 standard cab
    You're asking about rotors, but your list has them listed? I don't understand.

Anyway, get some SP Performance slotted rotors and Hawk pads to go with those SS lines, total package that way.

3. Mar 22, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This is one of those you gotta decide things man.

You will notice a difference if you put the new rotors on the truck...but you don't NEED them. What is more important....220 bucks in your bank account or better brake response/feel??

Are you going to be unhappy if you don't do it- Cause if you don't do the rotors now and you decide you want some better feel- You'll need to take the whole wheel assembly apart again to do the rotors if you order them down the road.

Personally- I like doing things right- So I'd do all of it at once even for the extra money- and I would prolly look at the SP rotors and Hawk pads hate was talking about.

Good luck deciding!!

4. Mar 22, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Snyperx

Member:
    Thanks fellas. I was looking at the SP rotors, but what is the difference between those and the EBC sport rotors besides the dimples and slots on the EBC rotors? I thought having both dimples and slots might be a little better and the EBC rotors are not fully cross drilled so cracking shouldn't be an issue.

5. Mar 22, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    Snyperx

Member:
    I guess what I was trying to say is that do I really need the rotors? I have been doing some reading and I am hearing really mixed reviews on going with slotted or slotted and dimpled rotors. If I don't need to spend the $200 for new rotors I would rather not have to, but I will if they are necessary.

6. Mar 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Not necessary if your rotors are in spec.
    If you want to spend smart money, bleed existing brakes first, then see how much better they feel.
    Chances are, the lines will just be for looks.
    Trust me.

7. Mar 23, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've heard and read that many times.
    I believe it.:)

8. Mar 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Not true- The stainless lines on my bike have saved my life multiple times. It's not the difference between grabbing a sponge and a rock...but the distance to actuate brakes and stop is shorter.

9. Mar 23, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    Snyperx

Member:
    I know I need new pads at the least, so I need to purchase those for sure.

10. Mar 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    Snyperx

Member:
    These are not just for look. I am buying the extended lines since my truck is lifted. Should help prevent stretching the factory lines when offroad.

11. Mar 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    The only thing I can say is I put a set in a '69 Corvette I owned and didn't feel any difference at all and felt it was a waste of $$$.
    However the brake pedal wasn't spongy before like in the Tacoma.

12. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1

i put some on an 81 Vette and thought they made a difference....but the rubber lines were over 20 years old at that point.

Products Discussed in

To Top