Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New brakes lines and pads.......rotors to?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Question New brakes lines and pads.......rotors to?

I am looking at doing an easy upgrade to my truck by upgrading my brake lines and pads, but should I do the rotors also? I can do the following components for around $382 shipped from AutoAnything:

Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
EBC Sport Rotors
Goodridge G-stop SS Brake Lines

Subtract about $200 from the price without rotors. If I don't need the rotors I would rather not spend the $220 on them. Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
You're asking about rotors, but your list has them listed? I don't understand.

Anyway, get some SP Performance slotted rotors and Hawk pads to go with those SS lines, total package that way.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
This is one of those you gotta decide things man.

You will notice a difference if you put the new rotors on the truck...but you don't NEED them. What is more important....220 bucks in your bank account or better brake response/feel??

Are you going to be unhappy if you don't do it- Cause if you don't do the rotors now and you decide you want some better feel- You'll need to take the whole wheel assembly apart again to do the rotors if you order them down the road.

Personally- I like doing things right- So I'd do all of it at once even for the extra money- and I would prolly look at the SP rotors and Hawk pads hate was talking about.

Good luck deciding!!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Thanks fellas. I was looking at the SP rotors, but what is the difference between those and the EBC sport rotors besides the dimples and slots on the EBC rotors? I thought having both dimples and slots might be a little better and the EBC rotors are not fully cross drilled so cracking shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2work View Post
You're asking about rotors, but your list has them listed? I don't understand.

Anyway, get some SP Performance slotted rotors and Hawk pads to go with those SS lines, total package that way.
I guess what I was trying to say is that do I really need the rotors? I have been doing some reading and I am hearing really mixed reviews on going with slotted or slotted and dimpled rotors. If I don't need to spend the $200 for new rotors I would rather not have to, but I will if they are necessary.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Not necessary if your rotors are in spec.
If you want to spend smart money, bleed existing brakes first, then see how much better they feel.
Chances are, the lines will just be for looks.
Trust me.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Trust me.
I've heard and read that many times.
I believe it.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
If you want to spend smart money, bleed existing brakes first, then see how much better they feel.
Trust me.
Not true- The stainless lines on my bike have saved my life multiple times. It's not the difference between grabbing a sponge and a rock...but the distance to actuate brakes and stop is shorter.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Trust me.
I know I need new pads at the least, so I need to purchase those for sure.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I've heard and read that many times.
I believe it.
These are not just for look. I am buying the extended lines since my truck is lifted. Should help prevent stretching the factory lines when offroad.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Not true- The stainless lines on my bike have saved my life multiple times. It's not the difference between grabbing a sponge and a rock...but the distance to actuate brakes and stop is shorter.
The only thing I can say is I put a set in a '69 Corvette I owned and didn't feel any difference at all and felt it was a waste of $$$.
However the brake pedal wasn't spongy before like in the Tacoma.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
The only thing I can say is I put a set in a '69 Corvette I owned and didn't feel any difference at all and felt it was a waste of $$$.
However the brake pedal wasn't spongy before like in the Tacoma.

i put some on an 81 Vette and thought they made a difference....but the rubber lines were over 20 years old at that point.