Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spongy Brake Pedal ?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery

Everybody is just trying to help. At this point, I think there are too many unknowns.

If it was my problem (if it is a problem), I'd follow the FSM bleeding process closely and see if that helped.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03is300ztk View Post
Wrong. Not all toyotas are soft pedal feeling.

And please go back through and real all comments before asking pretty much every question that's already been asked.
Wow....get up on the wrong side of the bed today or what?

The questions weren't directed towards you anyways - so - Thank You for your deep and sincere response.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Wow....get up on the wrong side of the bed today or what?

The questions weren't directed towards you anyways - so - Thank You for your deep and sincere response.
Sensitive much? Apparently. The questions were already answered but hey not every one passed reading comprehension.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lighten up, folks. We all want to help the OP, right?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #25
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Lighten up, folks. We all want to help the OP, right?
Trying but asking the same questions over because there too lazy to read helps no one. And them being sensitive for being called out.

But your right let's move forward.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #26
randyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandyjaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Name: Randy
randyjaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to cause all the hard feelings.
It drives and stops with no noticeable problems. It may have been spongy from the get go. I just noticed that after I replaced the front pads and felt that the pedal wasn't as stiff as I thought it should be. In fact, if I pushed hard enough the pedal would go to the floor. I bled the brakes and it didn't make any noticeable difference. Since I was afraid I would screw up the anti-lock, I didn't go any farther. That is when I queried the group. I have been driving since then. The fluid is clean and clear. The truck is a 2007 model with 101K miles on it. I haven't experienced any other problems with the truck. It is still as tight as the day I bought it. Can't complain.

Randy
Old 03-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #27
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjaco View Post
It drives and stops with no noticeable problems. It may have been spongy from the get go. I just noticed that after I replaced the front pads and felt that the pedal wasn't as stiff as I thought it should be. In fact, if I pushed hard enough the pedal would go to the floor. I bled the brakes and it didn't make any noticeable difference. Since I was afraid I would screw up the anti-lock, I didn't go any farther. That is when I queried the group. I have been driving since then. The fluid is clean and clear. The truck is a 2007 model with 101K miles on it. I haven't experienced any other problems with the truck. It is still as tight as the day I bought it. Can't complain.

Randy
Don't worry about it. TW excels at hurt feelings. We've even adopted the U.S. Army report.

If you feel like investigating further, you could always take it in for a free inspection. We can theorize all we want, but having a shop take a look would probably find a problem, if there is one.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjaco View Post

Randy
No hurt feelings here...... I don't know what I said but it was obviously not taken the same way it was meant to be taken. Different frame of mind I guess....

Hope it continues to be solid for you. This has always been a great forum and resource - don't be afraid to stop back often!!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #29
stumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stumblestacks's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I had figured this problem out, but it came back again. I'm just accepting that I have to "pre-pump" my brakes to see wtf they are going to do.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #30
FishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FishaRnekEd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblestacks View Post
I thought I had figured this problem out, but it came back again. I'm just accepting that I have to "pre-pump" my brakes to see wtf they are going to do.
Thats terrible... I have accepted a similar issue with my ignition...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #31
stumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stumblestacks's Tacoma Gallery
The old "is my key going to turn the ignition this time, or tomorrow, or the next day?" I had that about 10 years ago. After months of finding the sweet spot that allowed me to turn the key, it finally refused to turn and left me stranded. The new ignition started to do it last summer so I got a few new Keys cut and it's less finicky with the sharper edged new keys. It happened with both of my door locks to. On a month long trip with lots of valuables in my truck and I couldn't lock it. It seems that the brakes, ignition, and door locks are a common problem on first gens. I don't know if the later generations are better, or just too new to know what will fail.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #32
FishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FishaRnekEd's Tacoma Gallery
^ my key always turns, but sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it starts (2nd gen)
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #33
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm... after reading all this I think I am going to flush all my brake fluid. I added longer brake lines and we bled the brakes and a week or so later I noticed that when sitting at a stop light the brake pedal would start creeping to the floor after a few seconds. If I let go of the pedal and push it again the brakes are solid but after a second or two it starts creeping to the floor again.

It hasn't affected my brake performance or anything other than sitting on the brakes. I've started just putting it in park at stop lights.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #34
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
I have question for you guys??

my Brake pedal went limp over the last couple days. Y. what would you do first?
-check brake fluid
-check if brake lines
-bleed brakes
-get new shoes and rotor

Granted i just replace the shoes and rotors front/back not that long ago.

or just take to a mechanic

Not sure if it is the master brake cylinder
Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #35
Backdoor Commentator

Limp, as in it goes to the floor with little resistance?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #36
nucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
nucktaco's Tacoma Gallery
ive had the same spongy brake issues with my 08 since the truck hit 50k kms. replaced calipers multiple times, rotors, pads, master cylinder, booster. everything short of the brake lines themselves which are next on the list. nothing helps.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #38
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
A full brake system flush can make a world of difference in pedal feel.