Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lucky 07 PreRunner to 4x4 Conversion

Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
lucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud of

Army: 13 Fox, FO.  3rd AD, 7th ID, 10th Mtn, 25th ID
lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Lucky 07 PreRunner to 4x4 Conversion

Like many before me, I should have bought the 4x4 to start with. Although my 1-wheel drive prerunner has done ok over 7 years and 175K miles, there have been many times i really needed at least 1 front wheel pulling. Not much of a market for high mileage prerunners, so I'm keeping what I got and converting.

Following the guidance of RST and others, I have started collecting the parts.

My setup will include an FJ x-fer case and I will probably do twin stick. I added twin stick to my 77 FJ40 and love 2Lo... Will be equally cool in Taco.

I have the front diff and 4x4 hub assemblies. CV axles, grease caps and new seals will arrive on 1/18. I'll start posting pics this weekend.

The front diff will go in this month. The 4x4 trans, FJ case, fab'd crossmember and custom drive shafts next month.

More to follow.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
lucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud of

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Got my hubs.

Got my clamshell (includes acuator) - it has some surface cancer - bought it on ebay from upstate NY salvage yard. Insides appear good. Mounting brackets also have some surface cancer.. Started to wire-wheel all of it and spray it down with wd40. Its looking better. Will definitely replace front flange.

Also got a few rainbows on Saturday morning.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
A7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
A7xschecter6661's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck!

I've done 4 wheel disc conversions before. That was bolt for bolt swap so nothing difficult. Good luck on something much harder!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Honestly I believe this to be a pretty easy project because of the wealth of info posted to TW on what and how to do it.

In the meantime and until I get the rest of the parts, I'll post fishing pics.. Here's last weekend rainbows.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #6

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
And the weekend before that.... If I can turn wrenches like I land rainbows, I'm good to go.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet always love following projects and good luck on this
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #8

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
My CV's and grease caps didn't show up this weekend as expected. I guess I'll have them early this week. As soon as that stuff arrives, the whole front end is going in.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
White and purple truck showed up this morning. CVs from rockauto. Yes they are Cardone Select. I intend to eventually replace with rebuilt OEM Yota CVs, but rock was the quickest and cheapest so I could get this project moving. They will be spares when I get some OEM's done.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #10

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Grease caps delivered as well. They been in my mailbox since saturday. It might be game-on this weekend...
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
can't wait to follow this! i want to do this someday so bad!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
Hritz has a spectacular aura aboutHritz has a spectacular aura aboutHritz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Trevor
Hritz's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for sure i also have a prerunner and shes paid off, but god knows i want and need 4wd!!! keep us posted!!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #14
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #15
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #16
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wanted to do this till I found out 4x4 have different frame
Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #17
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomonazul View Post
wanted to do this till I found out 4x4 have different frame
don't you just have to make a new crossmember out of some square piping?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezinstangl View Post
don't you just have to make a new crossmember out of some square piping?
Here's the thread
http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396
Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
Mounting brackets also have some surface cancer.. Started to wire-wheel all of it and spray it down with wd40.
I would have painted it with some rustoleum after removing the rust with the wire wheel. Paint will last longer than wd40. Now you will have to use some de-greaser to get the wd40 off before you paint.

I just had to remove my front diff and axles to fix a cracked frame. That bracket on the top of the diff with the vacuum line and breather line has to be installed after the diff is lifted into place and it is a Bitch to get installed. You need really small hands.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #20

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, that was my intent... i wanted to let the wd sit on it a few days, then wire wheel again- clean it with purple or simple green, then paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
I would have painted it with some rustoleum after removing the rust with the wire wheel. Paint will last longer than wd40. Now you will have to use some de-greaser to get the wd40 off before you paint.

I just had to remove my front diff and axles to fix a cracked frame. That bracket on the top of the diff with the vacuum line and breather line has to be installed after the diff is lifted into place and it is a Bitch to get installed. You need really small hands.