1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking to buy need advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by docdiaz, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jan 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    docdiaz

docdiaz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raul
    NC
    First off hello this my first post here.
    secondly i need some input from all of you here since you are all well versed in the Tacoma platform. im looking for a daily driver weekend type of camping vehicle that the whole family can fit. Right now Im leaning at a V-6 double cab short bed 4x4 perhaps TRD Off road. Also looking at a 3" lift arb bumper and winch.
    My first question is Auto vs Manual. My wife and can both drive manual but she says im too old for it. I really dont mind either but would appreciate some pros and cons.
    Also gas mileage with this setup gearing etc. all comments are helpful.
    I currently have a dodge Ram 2500 diesel that is not what i need anymore.
    Thanks

2. Jan 17, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    I think the auto will be fine for you. I went through the same mental gymnastics, but the toughest thing I do is take my truck fishing. The autos are pretty good now. If you know someone who has an auto ask him about his experience and maybe he will let you take it around the block. Good luck and have fun.

3. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Not sure how old you are, but I use my rig for a lot of the same things as you.

I bought manual because: A) I'm the only one in the family who can drive it which therefore ensures no one will ever drive/take my truck :D, and B) I think sports cars and trucks are more fun to "drive" with a manual trans, IMO.

Good luck and welcome!:wave:

4. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    The autos are good in tacomas... The manual trannys are very clunky and awkward IMHO... Test drive both and pick your favorite.

5. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    I have a 2014 double cab short bed trd offroad. I have a 3 inch lift with an all pro high clearance bumper. I also have rock sliders and full steel skids underneath. My milage is approximitly 18.5 mixed street and freeway.

6. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I had a 2013 TRD Sport with an auto, and now I have a 2014 TRD Off Road with a manual. No question about it I like the manual better. The automatic downshifting thing when going down hill and the "Taco Bump" (look it up) were two things about the auto that I really couldn't stand. Only downside is no easily cleaned, removable cup holders, although I haven't really had a problem with that. Also I took a 2MPG hit when I switched to the manual trans. Bottom line is if you're a manual trans guy go with the 6 speed. You won't regret it.

7. Jan 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Pretty sure I read on here somewhere that the throwout bearing issue has been fixed.

8. Jan 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    docdiaz

docdiaz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raul
    NC
    thanks for all the replies please keep it coming.

9. Jan 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Autos are nice just throw into drive and go. I wanted a manual but after driving the autotaic I would buy another one in a heartbeat

10. Jan 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Personally, and this is just my opinion, if I were to do it over again I'd go with a 4WD, Double-Cab, Long-bed, SR-5 and Tow Package...

My reasoning for that is the Off Road package has quite a few bells and whistles that I never touch (A-TRAC, Downhill Assist Control, and the E-Locker barely gets used) but with the cost difference I could upgrade suspension and tires....which if you go with a ARB and a winch you'll need new springs anyhow.

Auto vs. Manual debate: I prefer automatics in daily drivers... Manual transmissions to me (<---Disclaimer) is like replacing your homes thermostat with an on/off switch...you might have control at your fingertips but honestly which is more convenient?

11. Jan 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    I have an 06 sport with the automatic and it's great my 92 had a stick and was great too but sucked in traffic. I like both but test them both and make your decision that way IMO that's the best way to know for sure.

12. Jan 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff

I have owned a TRD sport and Offroad. Two weeks ago if I didnt have the locker I would have had to have been pulled up the hill. If your going to use your truck offroad to get to remote camp sites and such. You will need the locker.

13. Jan 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed

Which is why I said "barely gets used"....normally 4-LO and good tires is enough, depends how remote you camp though. I see you have aftermarket tires on yours though, was it super snotty mud?

14. Jan 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    It was that shale rock that just breaks when you grip it.

15. Jan 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    My older (pre 95) Toyota 4WDs were all manuals 5 speeds. I remember the pedals squeaked way back then. I test rode the 2GEN manual and found 1st gear very short, awkward for me personally after many years driving stick decided to go with the auto trans and haven't regretted it. It is really a personal preference thing I would suggest you drive both & see what you like. :)

As far as the packages, I have had one DC 4wd SR5 pkg (2006) & now a 4WD DC TRD OR (2013). If I was going to buy another one tomorrow, it would probably be a DC 4WD LB so that would have to be either a Sport or an SR5. It would be nice to have the extra bed room because I use the bed a lot.
    Good luck with your purchase.

16. Jan 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Las Vegas NV
    Vehicle:
    05&04 Tacoma SR5
    Home Built Front Bumper HID Headlights LED Cab lights 2013 Radio swap MOLLE DC Insert Traffic Cam F&R 6'' Procomp lift Custom Grillie
    Go Auto 4x4 TRD Off road w/ Locker on procomp(or equivalent) 3'' lift(Cheaper)! Or Get pricey and do Fox(or equivalent) Coil overs! Easy to install and Great ride, My 05 is my primary and I try to do little off roading as in it. But not afraid to take it out and play. I get about 18MPG in my 05. I have just the SR5 No locker :( I mostly use it as a daily driver but I have taken it out and played pretty hard with just 4x4.

Products Discussed in

To Top