1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roaring sound when turning left and coming to a stop

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ham Bone, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    Ham Bone

Ham Bone [OP] Welder at Kaufman Trailers of N.C

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    09 / Double Cab SR5 / 4x4 / 6 Speed Manual
    4" lift / T Rex billet grill / Spyder halo projection headlights / Bully bull bar / OEM running boards
    I have had and changed bad wheel bearings on this truck before and have checked everything that I can think of. I know that if you cant feel that it is loose or hear sounds when you spin the wheel that it doesn't necessarily mean that it is not a bad wheel bearing but the reason that I am posting this is because it is not doing the typical things that my truck does when the bearings go bad. That may sound funny because I guess nothing is ever typical!!! Anyway I was wandering that if the camber was out at the top on my right side and in to much on the left top if that would cause this sound? I recently put a ball joint in the right top and a wheel bearing in the left and I noticed later that if I stand in front of the truck that both wheels look like they are leaning to the right at the top and I haven't had the time to get an alignment yet. The alignment and new bearing are about the same price and I can only really afford one right now. that's why im asking which problem do y'all think is causing this. I have very knobby M/T tires with side tread so I don't know , could be alignment. SORRY SO LONG

2. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    check your brakes, sounds like a pad telling you it is worn out...if it is grinding, then one side or the other of the rotor, or both sides will show grooves, not good....

and, borrow some cash, get an alignment, and your investment in your huge knobby tires is losing value as they wear with the incorrect camber...

3. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    4" lift / T Rex billet grill / Spyder halo projection headlights / Bully bull bar / OEM running boards
    I'm thinking that I should go get the alignment an see if that helps , because I know it needs that. I guess it couldn't hurt anyway. if it still does it I will just park it till next payday. what you think if it is the bearing left or right. I'm thinking right

4. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    toyotaman29

toyotaman29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR Prerunner Silver
    LED upgrades, Husky weatherbeaters, Black 16’’ wheels
    I would get that alignment done as soon as you can and then go from there, maybe rotate your tires to see if it makes any difference.

5. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Check your rotors and pads, I have not heard one mention of that being done...do the visuals first, that way you can eliminate the obvious...

It sounds like a brake problem, I got this from your first postage....it could be tires rubbing from the 'need an alignment' statement, what size do you have presently....

6. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Absolutely get the alignment. You're gonna ruin expensive tires if you don't.

Then see what you have after that.

My 2 cents.

7. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    35 12.50s 20'' rockstar wheels

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. Jan 19, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    35 12.50s 20'' rockstar wheels....

obviously you have a lift too? otherwise those tires would rub at the slightest bump or turn....

With that kind of cash invested in rims and tires, it is sacrilegious to be hurting the tires with a poor alignment...

does the lift have new UCA's to help with rubbing when aligned properly?

EDIT: I just checked the pricing on your tires and rims, you are looking at over a $2800 investment with taxes and mounting, spending $80 on a proper alignment should be a no brainer....are you yanking our chain?

Do you have pics of the truck to share?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. Jan 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    trollolol :notsure:

10. Jan 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    He has a 4" lift as mentioned in his profile.

11. Jan 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    I saw the lift in his profile after I posted....add he has changed wheel bearings and one upper ball joint, if he did the work himself, then checking the brakes should be one of the first things to do, as far as the wheel bearing, jack up suspect side by the LCA and give the wheel the spin check and the 6 and 12 check, pads and rotors while at it...

It would be nice to know if the UCA has been changed out to aftermarket, 4" of lift will not allow for proper alignment with all stock components leading to all sorts of additional problems...

Products Discussed in

To Top