Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Opinions on Intake & Exhaust system: MPG/HP vs Cost?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Death Proof is on a distinguished road

Death Proof's Tacoma Gallery

What Intake & Exhaust systems have you found to best increase in MPG/HP vs the purchase investment?

I've found in the past, I've spent a lot (on certain setups) for somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% gains.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
The best ones are fully boxed intakes, and urd/dynamax/afe/trd/borla/aero turbine are all popular for exhaust
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
They won't improve mileage at all, and will make it worse. Free flowing exhaust and intake will make any engine run rich. The mileage improvement occurs when you tune with these less restrictive devices in place, and even then will take many thousands of miles to pay off. You can buy a lot of gas for the ~$1000 intake, exhaust, and tuning cost.
http://urdusa.com/Electronics-Perfor...b93591b9834bbc
Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
rruhl48 is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
rruhl48's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 3inch AFE stainless cat back and it with out a doubt is the most.beautiful sounding exhaust ive ever heard on our trucks. Also I have the volant ram air.intake
Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Mods listed in my build

Mpg avg on highway is 21mpg using gps
HP is yet to be seen because any hp claims are worthless without a dyno slip and I havent been on rollers yet.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Mark
1of7627's Tacoma Gallery
I'm installing an MBRP dual system, not because I think it will give any functional improvements, but because I grew up in the 60's when any V-type engine HAD to have duals. Didn't matter if it was a '40 Ford Flathead or a 409 Chevy with dual quads. (Hey, everyone has to have justification for what they do and mine is as ridiculous as anybody else's.) I know I won't recoup the cost ever, but I'll also keep the stock system to put back on later if I need to.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of7627 View Post
I'm installing an MBRP dual system, not because I think it will give any functional improvements, but because I grew up in the 60's when any V-type engine HAD to have duals. Didn't matter if it was a '40 Ford Flathead or a 409 Chevy with dual quads. (Hey, everyone has to have justification for what they do and mine is as ridiculous as anybody else's.) I know I won't recoup the cost ever, but I'll also keep the stock system to put back on later if I need to.
Then you are doing it for the right reason. I run an intake and exhaust too, for the same reason. It sounds nice around redline. Having tuned lots of 1GR-FE's with an actual wideband gauge I can assure you these mods make the motor run rich. Tuning really improves how these motors run...