Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Gas Door install

Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
eAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
eAreEyeSee's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Gas Door install

Here's the write up for those of you who have purchased or are interested in getting my locking gas door kit. This is for the 2nd genTacoma.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/311761-locking-gas-door.html

Please note
If you have one of the newer 2ndgens and don't have the bed storage pockets that would allow you to gain access behind the gas door you can go from under the fender liner. In which case this its not quite the easy bolt on project. Some members have done it but it does add some difficulty so just a heads up if your reading this to see whats involved.

• Install and wire up your momentary button. Since everyone will have their own preference on what button they want and where to put it I will leave that part up to you. Basically one wire of the actuator goes to ground and the other wire will go through your momentary button to a constant 12+ or to ignition controlled 12+. Again, its whatever you prefer. I started with the standard issue radio shack button and ended up using a VW button I got from ebay for about $14. It's an illuminated button but I didn't feel like wiring that part up.There are random rubber plugs under the seats in the cab that you can cut a small slit into and use to run the wires outside the cab and to the bed of the truck.

• Remove the bed storage pocket and reach in and pinch together the top/bottom barb like prongs and wiggle out the post toward the gas cap. I was able to do both of these steps while standing on the outside of the truck and just reaching over the bed rail.

• Next, pull your wires from the dash button through the pocket and connect them to the actuator. You can use female bullet connectors to match the male plugs on the unit or cut them off and use crimp caps, solder/ heat-shrink or whatever you like. The blue wire on actuator gets connected to ground and the green goes to 12+ through your momentary button.

• Remove the 14mm nut off the unit and feed the threaded end of unit through the empty square hole left by the removed post. I might be a tight fit and but it should go through. You might have to give it some sweet talk or lightly file the hole just a bit. Unscrew the factory door clip and replace with the machined latch. The slot on the latch for the screw allows you to adjust it fore and aft so you can get it as close to the nut without hitting it while the door swings open/close.

• You may or may not need to get a spring for your install. I've installed and uninstalled a number of times for testing and each install seems to vary just a little bit. Once I was able to get some spring action off the rubber bumpers alone. Another time the door had no spring at all so it just sat still when unlocked and would just relock itself after I hit the button. I found one at my local ACE Hardware to help kick the door open when unlocked. I slightly closed up one of the coils so it would push onto one of the bumpers without falling off. I tried a variety of spring types and got most of em to work such as foam weather strip or metal strapping band. The Ace one I ended up with is .500 diameter x .530ish in length with .040 coils if that helps. I also stuck a piece of electrical tape on the door to protect the paint.

That should be it.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
d2mikey is on a distinguished road
d2mikey's Tacoma Gallery
Interested as well.........nice job
Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
HandOfGod is on a distinguished road
HandOfGod's Tacoma Gallery
That is a great idea. Add that to the mod list. I just need to come up with the money now
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
And you lost me at broncos
Old 01-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. I see a lot of guys worried about locking gas caps and this mod. Guess I just don't live in a place where stealing gas through an unlocked gas cap is a problem. Is there a reason you go with a locking gas cap plus this mod?

Not being negative, just wondering. Like the idea though.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
eAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ive personally have never had a problem with vandalism or theft. It was just something I wanted to do. Yes, I realize its only a deterrent and if somebody really wants to get in then they will. I guess the same could be said for locking your doors when leaving the truck but it doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing it.

I currently don't have the locking cap and the locking door on the truck at the same time. Some of those pictures were from when I was test fitting the thing.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
What if you already have a Tail gate lock already wired to the door sill wires? Can we just tape the the wires further down from that?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Yessir. That's exactly what I did but my write up doesn't show that. I did the write up as a clean virgin install so it would be less confusing and more clean looking.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
d2mikey is on a distinguished road
d2mikey's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to post a follow-up to my installation of Eric's locking gas door.

I have a 2013 Access Cab so access to the gas filling area from behind is non existent. But with the pulling of a couple of wheel liner retaining pins, I was able to reach up behind the liner and remove (some challenge) the existing "post". After that, installing the locking solenoid bracket/mechanism was fairly easy. Eric did a very nice job and the solenoid/plunger assembly.

Running the wires went quite well. The main electrical harness to the rear of the vehicle runs along the frame nearby and up through the floor just underneath the driver's seat. I ran my new harness along side the existing and up through the same plug under the driver's seat. Then ran the wiring harness further under the door sill and into the emergency brake panel area.

Finding the right wires to tie into was a little more of a challenge. The color coding on my '13 AC was as Eric described but the two wires were in separate harnesses going up into the door. Actually, to be more specific, they are in separate harnesses going into the door but tied and taped together near where they exit near their respective harness plugs. Once I figured that out, finding both wires needed and connecting into them was quite easy. I did cut back some of the shielding around the harnesses to expose more of the wires in the harness and allow easier access to use the splices. Wire length for my AC was perfect.

Also, I left the little adjustable bracket that attaches to the gas door with a very slight interference to the plunger nut. This eliminates the need for the magnet to hold gas door closed for the plunger to line up upon closing.

As Eric described, the solenoid does make a slightly louder sound than the door lock solenoids. When I get a chance, I was going to try and wrap the solenoid/plunger assembly with a bit of insulation to see if that would quiet it down some. It is very hollow up inside the wheel well with no insulation so any noise is going to appear loud just from the echo.

Nice job Eric.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod and writeup, but no thief is going to bother with going through the door. These scumbags drill a hole from the bottom and steal the gas that way.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
d2mikey,

Thank you for the kind words and your feedback on the effort required for install on trucks without the pockets. I'm glad it all worked out for you and you got it working.

I recently happen to come across a random piece of foam at work about the size of 8x8x1.5 and figured why not try it. I folded it in half and shoved in the fender area so it sorta wedged between the actuator bracket and the fender liner. I must say it's quite a bit quieter now by just having the foam to dampen the sound. Rather than the hollow clack, it's now more of a dull thud. Maybe you could try something similar. I'll probably experiment some more once it gets above freezing here.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Key for gas cap and locking door. I guess with gas prices these days...
Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #13
Yeah, I guess I should take new pictures for the write up so it doesn't look like that huh? It would be too much to assume people would figure out the key cap is before the door lock mod and the pictures after the mod have the regular cap back on. It makes it look like I live in the super hood when actually I'm in a nice area and have never had any problems.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
That's so cool!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome.

I need to do this

:beer:
Old 03-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #20
Pyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Pyrite Mica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Great mod and writeup, but no thief is going to bother with going through the door. These scumbags drill a hole from the bottom and steal the gas that way.
This is fact but....it will protect you from the as*hol* who wants to drop sugar or something in you tank! There are a lot of loons out there and it doesn't take much to piss them off.

Nice product and write ups!