1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

p2238 code and cel.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by anotherreject, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Jan 21, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    anotherreject

anotherreject [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I searched and only found answers related to first gens.
    I have 2005, 130k miles.
    The check engine light came on, got it scaned at advance auto, they told me o2 sensor, also told me to take it someplace with a better quality scaner.
    Took it to a local mechanic ive been to before, they scaned and told me the code was p2238 air fuel ratio. They wanted $90 "to further diagnose" to give me a more exact answer, i said no, figured id ask on here before wasting $90
    Anybody have a suggestion on what this is?

I will also vent here too, ive had this truck 2 years and im not exaggerating every few months something else needs replaced or fixed, getting tired of this.....i dont daily drive it any more and the most extreme conditions it sees is my gravel driveway

2. Jan 21, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Always here to help with what we can! Don't think you are "wasting $90" because here is the thing. You can get a lot of guesses and speculation from hundreds of us here. And yes, that info is free. But for the $90 diagnostic fee, you are getting a person who can actually put their hands on your truck and do a proper diagnostic. We can only make guesses, since scan tool data and testing is impossible for us. Also, you mention that you have a 2005, but we would really need more info. What engine? I am assuming the 4.0. The code mentioned has to do with the sensor the is before the catalytic converter, known as the A/F or air/fuel sensor. While it LOOKS exactly like an O2 sensor, it is much more sensitive to fuel ratio changes. This code sets when the measured voltage signal from the A/F sensor is out of the expected range. This can be caused by a number of things from a bad sensor, to an exhaust leak, or a shorted wire. A quick check would be to inspect the sensor and wires to make sure the harness is not damaged, or possibly has contacted the hot exhaust and melted. IT is not REALLY common, but it is a simple and fast check. Other than that, without having access to your truck and seeing the data on a scan tool, we can only guess. And guessing sometimes can get expensive. Let us know what you find.

3. Jan 21, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    anotherreject

anotherreject [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry, forgot to add, it is the v6. For me to find the sensor to look at it for any visible damage should i be looking from underneath or can i see it from the engine bay from the top

4. Jan 21, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    You will need to trace the harness from the sensor itself, to the main engine harness, or above the exhaust manifold.

Products Discussed in

To Top