1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NAV auto dim Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mrremax, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jan 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    mrremax

mrremax [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Toledo
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX/PRO
    Hi I have a 2012 TX/PRO TRD with JBL NAV and backup camera.
    The NAV has options to set it to day, night, or auto dim mode.
    I have it in auto dim mode, but it does not auto dim.
    Been to dealer 3 times. They "updated" the system with a flashdrive from Toyota with the latest version, but still no auto dim?

Any ideas?

Thank you

Mr. Remax

2. Jan 24, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    I have a '14 with the same system and the NAV has no "Auto Dim" option, only "Day" or "Night". It does however dim automatically when the lights are turned on. Sorry I can't help further. - MarkC

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. Jan 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Yep one more reason the navi is retarded. My 12 is the same.

4. Jan 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    Randys13taco

Randys13taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    Bushwacker fender flares, husky floor mats, avs bug deflector. Avs in-channel vent visors,victory 4x4 roofrack, Naturnest rooftop tep wedge tent, Naturnest shower, Amp power steps, Fuel Vector bronze wheels, 12" antenna, snugtop cap, redline tuning hood struts, Magnum front and rear steel bumpers, rough country 2" front leveling spacer, ridgid dually driving lights, 50qt ARB fridge, 175 watt flexible solar panel and 30 watt solar charger, Rexing dual front and rear dash cam, Viair 150 psi compressor
    I had this same problem you are in day mode, what you need to do is touch your setup button, then in the upper right hand corner touch the display button, then in the next screen turn your headlights on and an additional button, saying day mode will appear, touch that and now anytime you turn on your parking or headlights it will auto dim.

5. Jan 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I never turn my parking lights off yet I have never seen it dim?

I will have to play around with this.

6. Jan 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Good to know. Thanks for the info. My only complaint is when I have to turn on my headlights in the daytime (due to rain etc...) it auto switches to night mode making it hard to see the streets on the map. Not sure this will take care of it but that is the only annoying thing I can find with the nav system. If I leave it in daytime mode it is too bright at night. Will this auto dim take care of that problem?

7. Jan 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    Randys13taco

Randys13taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    Bushwacker fender flares, husky floor mats, avs bug deflector. Avs in-channel vent visors,victory 4x4 roofrack, Naturnest rooftop tep wedge tent, Naturnest shower, Amp power steps, Fuel Vector bronze wheels, 12" antenna, snugtop cap, redline tuning hood struts, Magnum front and rear steel bumpers, rough country 2" front leveling spacer, ridgid dually driving lights, 50qt ARB fridge, 175 watt flexible solar panel and 30 watt solar charger, Rexing dual front and rear dash cam, Viair 150 psi compressor
    No it won't take care of that problem. Unfortunately it's one or the other. I find myself leaving it in day mode and if I go out after dark I just hop into the setup and change it then, it's really a design flaw it shouldn't dim until after dark, much like a lot of the after market stereos.

8. Jan 25, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    cquester5

cquester5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    hmmmm I have a 2014...TRD Sport DC where do you find the day/ night option?
    ooops! nevermind I found it!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. Jan 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    mrremax

mrremax [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Toledo
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX/PRO
    Thanks Randy and others for the input/reply.
    I usually use my day running lights all the time, so the "fix" as Randy suggested won't work for me. Although it is the best solution to the problem that the dealer has no answers for.
    My wife's 04 Camry's NAV auto dims just fine at night - go figure.
    I am a bit disappointed in Toyota
    While I am complaining, My 03 Tundra (man I loved that truck) had a locking tailgate which I miss a lot since I store stuff in the bed with Leer cap.
    Thanks again to all.
    Rich (Mr. Remax)

Products Discussed in

To Top