Your new truck -Auto transmission is low on fluid directly from factory

View Poll Results: Was your transmission low on fluid
Was your transmission fluid low -brand new ? 6 75.00%
fluid low after dealer said it was fine ? 1 12.50%
fluid low after dealer did transmission work ? 1 12.50%
fluid low after lube shop changed fluid ? 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Your new truck -Auto transmission is low on fluid directly from factory

Hey folks .
I try and assist with most transmission related questions at TW .
I wasnt sure how to word the post so all of you guys catch wind of the issue so hopefully the way its worded will attract your attention .

This post covers ALL YEARS of the 4 LITRE ENGINE WITH NO TRANSMISSION DIPSTICK
EDIT : UPDATE - DEALERS DO NOT CHECK THE FLUID WHEN THEY SELL YOU THE TRUCK

What I am finding as well as many others here at TW ,is 99 percent of the transmission complaints are caused by a low fluid condition . Shudders , delays , torque converter failure, solenoid codes caused by friction clutch sediment and premature transmission failure .
Some of you are lucky enough and the problems occur within the factory warranty timeline but others are finding out far too late and end up having to pay for a transmission overhaul . From what some of the members here have gathered , your brand new truck is possibly low on transmission fluid .

Toyota calls WS fluid a lifetime fluid and doesnt need to be checked .Its not a lifetime fluid . No fluid is lifetime . The only reason they called World Standard transmission fluid a lifetime fluid good for 100K was to get away from enviromental tax fees . Other manufacturers recommend changing their fluid much sooner and have to pay an enviromental fee for every vehicle they sell to the public . Sell a million cars and trucks and the enviromental fees add up quick . Toyota comes up with a lifetime fluid that is good for 100k and saves millions . They did not create a quality transmission fluid , they simply worded it to save enviromental fees . WS is no better than anything you get off the shelf in Walmart in fact even at Walmart you can purchase better quality transmission fluid than WS . Why did Toyota recently decide to change their transmission fluid replacement from 100k down to 60k ? .....far too many warranty issues

At this point in time we are not positive as to why your transmission is low on fluid or what YEARS are involved but can guarantee after reading this , some of you will find a low fluid condition .This post / poll is to make you aware that there is a problem with the transmission fluid level .

The transmission is built by Aisn Warner and considered a sealed unit meaning " NO FILL TUBE WITH LEVEL INDICATOR UNDER THE HOOD " its filled with enough transmission fluid and dyno tested to make sure it functions properly before it is shipped to Toyota for installation . Once at the Toyota factory , the transmission is then installed and additional components are added such as transfer cases for the 4 wheel drive version and transmission coolers for the towing package . Some take more fluid , some take less but Toyota has to follow a temperature fill guideline using the vehicle ECM and their Techstream scan tool .Not sure whats being overlooked here but some members are finding after a dealer transmission service , their transmission is "still " low on fluid when they perform a fluid check using the trucks on board diagnostic system at home .

Fortech created an excellent write up on how to properly check the fluid at home . If you are interested to see if your truck is low , click the link below and Remember that the engine has to be running when you check your fluid .
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html

Here is the PDF from Toyota showing how to fill / check the fluid . Scroll down to page 18 for the details http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/A750E.pdf

And then read here http://www.purefjcruiser.com/docs/20...d/01600210.pdf

All we are looking for in the poll is to verify the condition and to possibly save the members here a few bucks .
Its unfortunate that you can only add to the poll for a week before it closes . Many many members are finding their fluid very low when checked using the two guidlines noted above . Some guys are reporting that their fluid level is fine and others are reporting the fluid level low . With this said , its hit or miss as things stand now .
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Went back in my records and it looks like the dealer did service my transmission . Went outside and followed the fluid check guide . Sure enough I am 3 quarts low on fluid .
Topped up the trans with Max life fluid and it shifts much better .
The torque converter shudder at 45 is completely gone .
Check your fluid level people . Do not trust your dealers
Thanks for the write up Foretech .
My vote is in

EDIT : Sorry if i didnt post a poll with your choice . Maybe your fluid level is fine etc etc
What fluid did you use ?
how,s the transmission been working ?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
I might need to check mine, it doesn't always shift as smoothly as it should.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
ramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really nice

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
I'll look into this
Old 01-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
I shall look into it on my 3 month old 2013 taco...
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 AM   #9
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Checked the dipstick on mine and it is spot on.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:31 AM   #10
OverPar is on a distinguished road
Name: Dirt Guy
OverPar's Tacoma Gallery
Well that's nice. And I'm guessing if its brought to their attention they're not taking responsibility for it. God forbid anyone take responsibility for their actions. Yea. Instead of trusting them, put it this way. I checked my trans fluid level. Its low. It came that way. Top it off please. I will check again when I get home and be back if its not properly done. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #11
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
My fluid was flushed with the "drain the pan and add more fluid" method 2 or 3 separate times at the dealership before I bought my truck, according to the service history forms I got with it. I was planning to do a full flush soon when I decide which ATF I want to use. I'll check the level with the procedure before I start the flush and get my vote in.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
Lucky guy . You have a dipstick .
Us unlucky owners have to crawl under the truck and remove a stupid plug , then spend the time to put the ECM into temperature mode .
Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Lucky guy . You have a dipstick .
Us unlucky owners have to crawl under the truck and remove a stupid plug , then spend the time to put the ECM into temperature mode .
Could we not simply add transmission fluid cool until dripping out of the overflow, then run the truck for a few miles until the transmission temp was up to normal operating temperature and then remove the overflow (not drain) plug until no more hot fluid came out? To me, that would be the proper level; hot to the top. Then no need to jump circuits to get the ECM into some special temp mode.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Easy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud of
Easy rider's Tacoma Gallery
Just FYI....I blew up my 2013 transmission after losing only a little bit (a couple ounces at most)of fluid after I ruptured a line offroading. I trail fixed it and limped it back to camp and lost all of my gears/boom (zero warning lights). Toyota refused to back their warranty due to my suspension modifications...I will be starting a neutral 3rd party arbitration soon due to the AT temp sensor not flipping on and toyota blaming it on my suspension.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post

There's an ATF dipstick ?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #16
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
think my 1998 4runner still has one, wait on a looksee it does have a stick.
what
Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoda View Post
Could we not simply add transmission fluid cool until dripping out of the overflow, then run the truck for a few miles until the transmission temp was up to normal operating temperature and then remove the overflow (not drain) plug until no more hot fluid came out? To me, that would be the proper level; hot to the top. Then no need to jump circuits to get the ECM into some special temp mode.
Its a good idea King . Should at least get your fluid level into the ball park range should it be low but according to the proper procedure , the trans has to be between 46C (115F) and 56C (130F) to accurately check the fluid level. Its possible the temp during factory fill could be the issue as to why sooo many guys are having slipping / shuddering issues and premature trans failure .

Edit : Your idea of cold and my idea of cold are two different temps . Transmission fluid does expand and so do the alluminum /steel parts within the trans . If we follow what Toyota specifies , we know the level will be adjusted according to manufacturers specs .

At least we know there is an issue and hopefully find the problem soon
Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
There's an ATF dipstick ?

^^

I'm serious , is there an ATF dipstick on my 2009 ?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #19

Hey OZ . fairly certain on the 4 bangers there is a filler tube with level indicator .
If you got some spare cash , order one up and modify to fit the 4 litre

This means OZ hasnt checked his transmission fluid and he owns a 2009
Old 01-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Hey OZ . fairly certain on the 4 bangers there is a filler tube with level indicator .
If you got some spare cash , order one up and modify to fit the 4 litre

Thanks