1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chattering noise fron engine compartment 2014 tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Traker, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Jan 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    Traker

Traker [OP] Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    14 tacoma TRD
    Hell guys, this is my first time on one of these forums. I just purchased a 2014 tacoma TRD sport and i noticed a faint metallic chattering noise that only happens when accelerating, most noticeable when lightly accelerating over 40 MPH, i took it back to the dealer and two of the mechanics tell me that they hear it, but there is not much they can do until it gets worse, i am told it is to difficult to locate because it only happens when the vehicle is moving, i have since taken 3 more of these vehicles on test drive and none of them make this noise. PLEASE can anyone help me?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    I've read some of these motors have a lot of valve noise...... You may have either have badly adjusted valves from the factory, mis machined cams, or a bad timing chain tensioner causing some chain slap. Those could cause noises your describing? KEEP ON IT!
    My honda crv has had a gurgle coming from the motor from day one and the culprit was a bad exhaust header gasket. It was diagnosed after my warranty ran out. At 120k miles its still there.

3. Jan 26, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    Traker

Traker [OP] Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    14 tacoma TRD
    Thanks for your advice i appreciate it. I am not a mechanic, but if it were any of the things you mentioned above wouldn't i still get this noise when the truck was in park and i hit the gas, or when i put it in drive hold my foot on the brake and gradually give it gas?

4. Jan 26, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    SAXD Taco

SAXD Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    Does it sound like a light metallic tapping? Does it usually occur traveling around 40 mph, in top gear, & up a slight incline? If so, my truck had a similar problem. Turns out the engine was pinging on 87 octane gas. Try running some 93 octane gas & see if the problem goes away.

5. Jan 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    Traker

Traker [OP] Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    14 tacoma TRD
    thank you! i will try this first thing tomorrow morning and see what happens, i may even try it tonight if i can't sleep thinking about it. I will keep you posted

6. Jan 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    Traker

Traker [OP] Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    14 tacoma TRD
    I tried running the 93 octane and still the same noise, I drove for 30 miles to make sure it had time to work through the lines.

The noise Sounds like a cross between an old spidomiter cable and valve chatter, it is very faint but enough to drive anyone crazy that just spent $32,000.00 on a vehicle, for me that is a substantial amount of money. Toyota has called me back and said they don't believe the dealer is doing everything they can, and that they will contact them and get back to me.

7. Jan 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    Coastie80

Coastie80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DCSB Super White
    Definitely keep us posted. I have it in my 2013 as well. I was hoping that it was just spark knock using the gas in Guam. The truck is almost on its way back to the states so I wanted to see what it does with decent gas.

BTW….I consider this a lot of money invested as well. The military doesn't pay THAT well. ;)

8. Feb 21, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    14trdor

14trdor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Traker does the noise sound like a cricket chirp? My 2014 TRD OR has the same noise I believe. Any further luck on this issue?

9. Feb 22, 2014 at 4:15 AM
    Traker

Traker [OP] Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    14 tacoma TRD
    My noise is fairly faint but does seem louder on Some days, and it is more like a metallic chatter, the chatter/ticking sound is very consistent anytime you give it gas between 25 and 45 mph, much faster than 45 mph the chattering becomes so fast that it just blends in with the road noise. I have a couple possible ideas of what it could be, I am going to look into those today, also in two weeks from now they are sending out their regional manager and technician to look at my truck. I will keep you posted.

10. Feb 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    14trdor

14trdor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Traker.
    Your description of the issue sounds the same as mine. I'll keep you posted on my end too.

11. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:50 AM
    Traker

Traker [OP] Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    14 tacoma TRD
    14trdor, I was wondering if you have contacted Toyota headquarters and told them about this problem? I am currently working with them and they tell me that this is the first time they have heard of this, I don't believe this for a second because I have spoke with a number of people that have the same problem, I have been going back and forth with Toyota for almost two months now, I think that it is unacceptable that we spend $32000 on a new vehicle and when we have a problem they drag their feet fixing it, I think it will help get us all some satisfaction if anyone having the problem contacts Toyota and let's them know about it, the contact number for Toyota is (800) 331-4331. Good luck with all of you that have this problem, and please don't just accept it.

12. Feb 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    14trdor

14trdor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Traker, I have not contacted Toyota yet. I will.
    If your regional manager and technician can't find the problem, you should insist that Toyota's engineers look into the problem. I'm sure if they looked into it, they would find the cause of this chatter noise.

13. May 28, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    Brandon9281

Brandon9281 Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road double cab
    Softtopper, wet okole,
    Any update? I have the same problem. I can really hear it when softly accelerating between 30-40 mph. The sound is like a coke can filled with pebbles being lightly shaken under the hood. I checked the heat shield and all the skid plates nothing is loose. I changed octane and it quieted down a bit but it's still there.

14. Jul 20, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    update? I hate the chattering noise on my 2012!!

15. Jul 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    im thinking rear diff. but not sure

16. Jul 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
  17. Jul 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Has anyone tried putting their truck on a lift / stands and running it in drive? Maybe that could be a clue of where the problem might be?

18. Jul 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Ok, I'll throw out some wild guesses.

Any of the poster having this problem a Manual ??? It looks like all? of the posters with the issue are recent automatics Tranny?? IF so That might be relevant.

Starter Bendix / starter solenoid springs weak and chattering at certain vibrations / RPM.
    Tranny bell housing inspection plate loose and rattling?
    Loose bolts on tranny, Torque converter, bell housing, etc.
    Drive shaft splines in transmission rear end lacking grease?
    Ditto - Dry u joint(s) / carrier Bearing from factory?
    All I see so far are Automatics and Double cabs??

If I think of More I'll re post....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  19. Jul 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    stuartcnc

stuartcnc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4X4
    3" suspension lift
    I've had it since I bought it a year ago and haven't mentioned it to the dealership yet... jackass move on my part. I'm going to bring mine to dealership tomorrow, my uncle in law is in upper management, so maybe that will help me get answers quicker. Will update as soon as I hear something.

20. Jul 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Have you heard anything yet? This noise is anoying. I think its still coming from either under the truck or towards the rear. I cant for the life of me figure it out. Oh and I also have a vibe around 50mph and it seams to be worse around that speed also

Products Discussed in

To Top