1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just When You Think You Can Trust The Dealer, I Discover This....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by File IFR, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    File IFR

File IFR [OP] "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    When I bought my truck 21 months ago, I took advantage of the 'free' service oil change and check-up.

Along with the free check-up, the dealer checks the pad and shoe wear thicknesses in milimeters for the brakes and documents their findings on thier report sheet for the customer.

The one thing I discovered today while rotating my tires is they NEVER removed the rear brake drums to examine the shoe lining. While the tires were off, I thought I'd remove the drum and look at the shoes.

I took the drum off and found that the factory places paper between the drum and bolt flange to prevent it rusting together.. or something like that. As I'm removing the drum, paper is ripping from both the drum and the flange.... It appears I'm the FIRST guy to remove these drums since the truck was born.

How can the 'techs' or service kids determine the shoe wear if there are NO observation holes in the drum?... The answer is you can't. The drum has to be removed to see this and it never was removed

I took pictures of the driver's side after I noticed this on the passenger side that I started first.

Lesson learned about putting 100% trust in your deale's 'free' check-up. :mad:

P1260087.jpg

P1260088.jpg
    P1260089.jpg
    P1260091.jpg

All cleaned up and rust protected...

P1260092.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    It's the principal, I understand but rear drums will last a while even under very heavy braking conditions.

3. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    Badgtho

Badgtho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD sport 6spd
    TRD exhaust, TRD beadlock wheels, moto xtender
    So how thick did they say the pads were and were they right?

4. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:

Amoung all my saved reports, one report said 4 millimeters, another report said 5mm.... They're actually 6 millimeters thick, because I measured them:)

I was a little pissed the kid techs put bullshit (average numbers) on the sheet, but I'm not surprised.

5. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:

True, that's probably why they don't go through the full routine on new vehicles.

6. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Still trying to figure out the drama in this thread. And because the tech didn't measure down to the nearest .00001 thats a problem? Wow.

7. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:

Let me help you understand.... The drums were never removed.

Let me know if you need more help.

8. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    Hbr01

Hbr01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DBC 4x4
    I dint think that is the issue here, the issue is he paid the dealer for the service and it did not get performed. The tech lied about the actual thickness of the pads and even performing the service.

1-2mm off is not the tech not measuring down to the .00001 of a mm. 1-2 mm off could be the difference between being in spec and out of spec.

9. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    There are observation holes in the back of the drum

Derp

10. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:

You're shitting me? No?

Gonna check it out now.

11. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Soo... even though it's included and you get charged for it did you actually think they rotate the tires and grease the driveline too? :rofl:

12. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    You're wrong. No holes at all.

Derp:D

Yeah, I know they don't do that much. I've already done it. :)

13. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Apprehended by the TRUTH

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2012 4 cyl. 4x4 "Plain Jane" stock like old men drive
    Secure tailgate, Cobra 29, Firestick, Cree LED back-em up lights, Front LED's,In toolbox inverter, Bed mounted Jerry, Hardwired mounted Stream Light, CCW Holster, Weather tech mats, K&N filter, Wet Okole, Powder coat tool box, LE vertical LOCKED riot shotgun rack,
    Bought my 2012 "new" from Bryan Easler Toyota, Hendersonville, NC. Real nice folks!:D!....so several thousand miles later I decided to take her in for the complimentary oil change / service, paid for by TOYOTA. I signed the ticket so they can get their cash, and left. Everything went fine until before getting on I-26, I heard a voice telling me to check my oil. Sure enough, it had not been changed. I went back to the dealership and told the "nice" salesman the deal and he stated that the bulk oil was not as clear as the factory oil.:confused:....I pulled the stick and he agreed, no oil change. The service manager told me to go have a seat AGAIN and they would change it right away. I just stayed with the truck. Some kid in a nasty t shirt walked up and asked me how many quarts does she take????? When I got home , I called TOYOTA customer service. They didn't care. I called the dealership to complain to the manager. The girl at the switchboard stated that the manager was out for the day and could she help me. I told her what happened. She told me not to tell anyone that she told me, but they do that kind of stuff all the time. Long story but no tire rotation either. I would say that is a little drama in my book. Guess who services my truck? NOT TOYOTA

14. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Let me let you understand.
    FYI there is an inspection hole in the backing plate.
    The paper coming apart is the reason they don't pull the drums.
    It requires a complete cleaning like you did to keep a pulsation from developing.
    It's a free check and the tech did not get paid more than likely anyway.
    How long did it take you to do that? I work enough for free with all the junk I have to do. We pull the inspection plug and look. If you have plenty of shoe, you have plenty of shoe.
    I'd like to get rid of this free check and car washes. Save about 10 to 15 min of time I'm not getting paid for.

15. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Apprehended by the TRUTH

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2012 4 cyl. 4x4 "Plain Jane" stock like old men drive
    Secure tailgate, Cobra 29, Firestick, Cree LED back-em up lights, Front LED's,In toolbox inverter, Bed mounted Jerry, Hardwired mounted Stream Light, CCW Holster, Weather tech mats, K&N filter, Wet Okole, Powder coat tool box, LE vertical LOCKED riot shotgun rack,
    "When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed."

16. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    I just looked at the back plate. I only saw rubber plugged holes where the spreader spring goes. No holes on the sides where the shoes are.

Got any pics as to where the hole would be to see the shoes? I'm not arguing with you, I just don't see where you can determine shoe wear on the back plate.
    Trust me, I would LOVE to see the shoes instead of pulling the drums.

17. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    adamv22

adamv22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    29 Palms, California
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma Sport
    6" Rough Country lift, Toyota roof rack, Tepui RTT, Hidden 12000lb winch Pioneer 6.1 DVD stereo, Cobra III CB radio,
    Yea, im also done with the "free" service the stealership gives you. I let them change my oil once because i figured, hey free oil, free filter, why not? I got home after the oil change and opened up the hood. There was an empty oil quart lodged in the engine bay with my belt eaten halfway through it.

18. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Jesus mike it's 10 degrees outside and I'm old. Hehehehehe
    Primary side (front) of backing plate. Plug is about the size of a dime towards the edge of the plate.

19. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    there are 2 hole on the back on the drum (1 is circle other is ovalish), the ovalish hole is for star adjustment the circle is for checking the brake lining. use a flash light and you will see might need some brake cleaner

20. Jan 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    HEHEHEHEHE WTF Dude
    I do this every day.
    You obviously don't know so go away...
    We are trying to help someone..

Products Discussed in

To Top