1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loss of power at high end (mountain passes/near-full throttle)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by czyhook, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Sep 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    czyhook

czyhook [OP] Member

Member:
    Cashmere, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 4dr TRD 6speed tow
    235/85/16s Custom flaps, ha.
    I have an Ultraguage enroute. So sometime in the next week (depending how long I'm away at work this time) I'll be able to start doing some more diagnosis. I contacted a place with a dnyo to see if they'll let me fiddle with the taco there/help out.

While I've thought quite a bit about compression, there have been no other indications, such as fluid transfer.

Thanks for all the info. One of these days I'll post some good news, and pictures.

2. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    If you have problems with the valve seats then you will not see any fluid transfer. Just loss of compression. And who knows maybe something is up with the vtec? I don't really know much about it myself.

3. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    VVT-I. ;)

4. Feb 26, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    czyhook

czyhook [OP] Member

Member:
    Cashmere, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 4dr TRD 6speed tow
    235/85/16s Custom flaps, ha.
    Alright, back to this.
    I've been busy with other things (the wife's '05 Passat TDI ) and ignoring the taco issue.
    The ultra gauge scanner has shown 16MPG average, over the last 80 hours of operation, or four plus months. So I haven't been driving the beast much, to say the least.

First pic is touching nothing, truck not running. https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/templink/Y0WhGl0rr5t5zkTyJIip0MS9gxoyuBl_kIniFprlFWkLAYspN?viewBox=1366

Second pic is full pedal/throttle, truck not running.https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/templink/8XH_Wy65s_06hzZX_w6HT0A0EPLGHIDWCVzmJy4qc_8LAYspN?viewBox=1366

And third pic shows just after engine start.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. May 28, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    dviz4x4

dviz4x4 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6
    I read through this entire thread because this is the problem I am currently experiencing!!! Was this issue ever resolved? How did you fix it please? @czyhook

6. May 28, 2021 at 7:55 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    It's best to start a new thread rather than bring a 7 year old thread back from the dead.

7. May 28, 2021 at 9:55 PM
    dviz4x4

dviz4x4 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6
    I suppose so.. i know it'd consist of answering the same 4 pages of questions that this OP went through. He seemed close to a solution so I was hoping he'd respond

Products Discussed in

To Top