1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Single Clunk When Starting Out (passenger side)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2006tac, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Jan 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    2006tac

2006tac [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlo
    LA
    Vehicle:
    06 stock 2.7l
    Hey guys,

First time poster here. I have a bone stock 2.7l 5 spd manual 2006 Taco. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue I do which is as follows. After the car sits for a period of time, sometimes for as little as 20 minutes, I go to start out again and get a single clunk from what sounds like the passenger front. It happens whether or not the car is in gear, or if I just let it roll. I checked the u joints and can feel no play. The car doesn't vibrate at speed. Any ideas on what I should check? Motor mounts? LCA? etc. Much appreciated guys.

-Carlo

2. Jan 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    You sure it isn't the whine from the ABS self test?

3. Jan 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    Could be brake pads from when you shift directions. Weird, i know, but mine has always done it. kind of a loud clunk. could be squeeky suspension too. my rear also does that too. You could always jack up the front of the truck and spin the wheels to see if you have any bearing/balljoint/cv issues.

4. Jan 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Did you get an alignment ever? Alot of times the tech won't torque the lower control arm alignment cam bolts n nuts to spec, and you will get a clunk or pop noise. All four need to be torqued to 100 ftlbs. If you do this, you should notice no more clunking.

5. Jan 28, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Is it a five lug, prerunner, or 4x4?

6. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    2006tac

2006tac [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlo
    LA
    Vehicle:
    06 stock 2.7l
    Hey guys, thanks for all the help. It's a five lug. Texoma, I did get an alignment recently and that's approx. when the noise started. I will check that first and get back tomorrow. Texoma, Are there any pictures or descriptions you could provide me of the bolt that needs to be torqued?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  7. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I don't have any pics, but should be easy to identify once you're under the vehicle. Each of the lower control arms attach to the frame in two spots, this is where your alignment cams are located as well. Not sure what the nut n bolt size is for 5 lug, but mine are 19mm or 3/4". Good luck, and you may be able to search the 5 lug thread for pics

8. Jan 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    Gilly21

Gilly21 Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCLB
    It's your brake pads. Mine does the same thing. I bet it makes the "clunk" as soon as you touch the brake pedal....and it probably happens after you have gone in reverse. For some reason the brake pads have a small bit of forward and back "play" within the brake calipers. If you travel in reverse and use the brakes, then the pads will shift...go forward and hit the brakes and the pads "clunk" in the opposite direction.

Products Discussed in

To Top