1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer didn't put enough oil in my engine

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nh_yota, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Jan 28, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Bilstein Shocks under bed lighting all weather mats window rain guards bed mat
    what dip stick, We are in a lifestyle with all this great technology. Yea right. Just like the jets that have crashed. It has a computer that runs it. It will be ok. We are teaching the younger people to rely on all the new gizmos and when they don't work they don't know what to do.

2. Jan 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    metal4130

metal4130 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Central IL
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB PreRunner
    You will never know the extent, if any, of the damage that has been done. Sounds like you also don't even know how low the oil really was. If it was really 3+ quarts low it is tough to believe there isn't some kind of damage. I also believe that if you paid for the service and walked out without it being recorded then anything that happens in the future will be your fault and not the dealer. Assuming it is not under warranty at that time.

I agree you get more done with a firm and calm approach but I don't know if I would have been so quiet myself.

Tough situation to be in and in my short time on this forum this is the 2nd post I have seen with this situation.

Lesson learned, check the dip stick before leaving the dealer.

3. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    "As soon as I get in the truck I notice the oil light is on"

That is fucked up. Then he drove it back to the service area! Oil light mean low or no oil pressure.

4. Jan 29, 2014 at 6:10 AM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I worked in an oil change shop when I was in high school... The numbers the oil gun displays should only be a guideline, ALWAYS check the dipstick. (Except for one model of 80s or early 90s Cadillac where the computer specifically said DO NOT USE DIPSTICK FOR OIL LEVEL INDICATION.)

5. Jan 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    nh_yota

nh_yota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    Okay I had it documented in my file that they didn't fill it with enough oil and ran it for 5 minutes on low oil. It seems to be working fine now. Is there anything else I could/should do now, or just take it as a lesson learned?

6. Jan 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I would file complain with Toyota corporate. Engine maybe good now but not in 10 000 miles. If you run engine and drive with oil light on you pretty much fked up engine. Remember this guys take truck for test run before he gave back so he probably run it that loner what you just saw. There is no excuse for that.

7. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    nh_yota

nh_yota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    I just called Toyota Corporate to open a case and document the situation to cover my ass if things break in the future.

8. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    oldswab

oldswab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    14 dbl cab TRD OR 6MT
    Had a similar thing happen at one of those Iffy Loob joints. The new tech started the engine on a very posh Nissan Maxima (leather/Bose/venerable 3.0L V6 that they used in everything from their turbo-charged Z supercars to the Pathfinder...) that I would later bend around a guardrail. It became a moot point when State Farm paid out more than it was worth on the total.

Anyways, it only ran for a second or two, amid shouts of "TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF!!!", but I had them document that they started 'er without engine juice on the receipt in case the engine fell off at any point shortly thereafter.

Dern. I wouldn't trade my Taco for one, but I sure do miss that car sometimes. Comfy, great mileage, fast for a sedan, just the right size, and chicks dug it.

9. Jan 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    It should say NO oil pressure not low oil pressure. You are giving them an out by saying low oil pressure.

10. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    My personal feeling is there was no oil added, probably dry except for residual lube from oil drain...

Opening a case with Toyota is the right thing to do...

This really sucks....

11. Jan 31, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    sideways19

sideways19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access Cab
    That's exactly what I was thinking. There's no way the low oil pressure light would come on if it had 3.5 quarts in it as they claim. I also don't think the engine would be so audible unless it was critically low on oil. It sounds like they flat out forgot to put oil back in it after it was drained.

12. Jan 31, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Run it for a week or so, then replace the oil filter. Cut the old one open (or have a different, reputable shop do it) and inspect the media for metal flakes and filings. If there is anything alarming found in the filter media, put it in a heavy zip-loc bag and take it to the service manager to discuss replacement of your engine. Its pretty clear to me that there was no oil put in the engine until after you pointed out the oil pressure light. Whatever you do, do not leave the evidence with the dealership, keep it in case you have to persue legal options. Here's to hoping that the filter media is clean, in which case, you should be good to go.

13. Jan 31, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    ^^I agree!

My thoughts are it most likely did not hurt anything given the short amount of time and residual oil inside.

Still makes you feel like crap though.
    I had the oil plug fall out of my 2011 Hayabusa 40 miles away from the dealership that performed the maintenance.
    I immediately shut the bike off though and much remaining oil drained out of the bike (of course a cup looks like a gallon on the pavement).

14. Jan 31, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    4banger4x4

4banger4x4 Probably should'nt have done that.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    if it had more then a qt in it its fine. I know plenty of tards that have run there oil almost dry and not changed there oil for a year and when I filled it back up for them it sounded normal again and still running fine. and one of them was a jeep motor that i did over a year ago. drained my sisters oil the other week and drained .75qt and he car is still running and sounding fine.

15. Feb 3, 2014 at 4:26 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    Unfortunately, with this type of thing, it may take several months or more for any signs of damage to show up. Make sure that this gets well documented.

16. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Man, two stealership oil change horror stories in the same week - WTF is going on with the service dept's @ Toyota!?!?!?:eek:

17. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
  18. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    +1 GREAT idea for peace of mind.

19. Feb 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Oh jezez, another one of these threads settles it. I'm not taking toyota up on their free oil changes. Ill do them myself.

Products Discussed in

To Top