1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difference between SR5 and TRD Sport

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GANGGREEN, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    GANGGREEN

GANGGREEN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been on Toyota's website and it's not very easy to compare different packages and models; honestly, after a while, my head starts spinning. Ideally I want a double cab and think I'd prefer the long bed but I'm flexible about that. I want a decent looking set of rims and probably 17 inch wheels and I also need the tow package. After that, my needs and wants are mostly flexible (I want tube steps, bed mat, all weather floor mats and likely a few other things). Can anyone tell me what I'd be getting or missing with the SR5 package versus the TRD Sport? I'd like the keep the price down if possible and hate the thought of paying thousands of dollars for options that don't appeal to me but like I said, my head is already swimming from doing research over the last few days and I was curious what all you fine folks might suggest.

2. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    TRD sport will get you better seats, 17 inch wheels the toe package, bilstein shocks, and other stuff it pretty much is just a hood scoop and painted body panels.

3. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    and the bed outlet

4. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    OP , if you wanna go less expensive get a DCLB 4x4 SR5 with the tow package

timothom likes this.
  5. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    X2 if you don't want or need the trd extras the sr5 will suit your needs fine.

6. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    GANGGREEN

Member:
    Out of curiosity, what if I went with the SR5 package and an upgrade on the wheels/tires? Has anyone done that and what would the cost of the wheel upgrade be versus the TRD package. Truthfully, I know it's just cosmetic but I do like the looks of that hood scoop, even though I know it's only aesthetic and I like the wheel upgrade as well. I'm just not sure if it's worth $1500 more.

Thanks for the responses, I'm new here and several of you jumped right on this to help and it's appreciated.

7. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    What you should do is go test drive an SR5 and a sport edition and see which one you like the best.

8. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

If you like the scoop and you want 17" wheels and the tow package , just get the Sport

9. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    billinwoodland

billinwoodland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    N. Cal
    The DC with long bed is a lot of truck. Examine your needs and that will help you determine the best vehicle. For me, I did not want the wider turning radius but needed the extra room in the bed so I went with the AC. Glad I did.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  10. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    When I bought my 09 SR5 Prerunner, tow package was a separate $650 item on both SR5 and TRD packages - has this changed ?

Also, the bed inverter was only available on TRD's.

Sorry, Oz, had a senior moment and overlooked your post on the inverter

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  11. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

IDK , all TRD models in Canada come with the tow package , not sure how it is down there

12. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    Nutzo333

Nutzo333 FreakShow333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, 315/70 r17 Duratracs, TRD Cold Air Intake MBRP stainless with duel side exit rear exhaust

Id say just go with the SR5. I cant tell you what wheels and tires would cost because both can range from dirt cheap in price to owing the devil your first born. If you have specifics in mind, I reccomend talking to the fine folks at http://mrwheeldeal.com/ I can get my summer tires mounted on my rims for 1000 less through them, delivered to my door. And thats delivered to Canada. I think its always cheaper to go with non factory options. Especially if your financing a new vehicle, cause they your paying extra ontop of an already pricey part. Curse you interest!

13. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    GANGGREEN

Member:
    I think the tow package seems to be pretty much standard when you buy the Sport package but you still get gigged the $650 anyway. I'm sure you can get one without the other but you may have to special order or wait forever to find one, at least that's what it seems like to me.

As for the access cab versus the double cab and the long bed, personally, I just prefer the double cab, not to mention that I have two teenage boys who will occasionally be riding with me and the wife in this rig so it probably makes more sense. From my perspective, the bigger question will be whether I really need the long bed or not. Personally, I think the long bed looks nicer on the DC, not to mention that it obviously gives more room. The question then becomes will it impact the performance/maneuverability enough to change my mind.

Never having owned a Tacoma, I can't say since I haven't test driven both models yet (I've test driven the short cab and I own a 4-Runner) but my work vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe, which isn't really a nimble little vehicle either.

14. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    are you going to offroad this truck ?

Do you want a manual or auto tranny ?

Do you plan on sleeping in the back ( bed ) ?

15. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    got2fish

got2fish Active Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 4x4
    I looked at both & here is what I found to be the major differences:

The TRD Sport has:
    • Color matched grille & rear bumper (Chrome on SR5)
    • Hood scoop
    • Different seats (most people seem to prefer the TRD seats over the SR5)
    • 17” allow wheels (MUCH nicer than the SR5)
    • “Sport tuned” suspension with Bilstein shocks (I’ve heard this is a stiffer ride than the SR5)
    • AC outlet in the bed

I went with the SR5 but kinda wish I spent the extra money on the sport. It depends on how much the aesthetic differences matter to you.

16. Jan 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    GANGGREEN

Member:

I will rarely, if ever off-road this truck but I live in a very rural area and I am on dirt roads quite a lot.

I want an automatic transmission, though honestly, I could live with manual as well if the dealer happened to have one fall in their lap that was otherwise perfect. I've always rather enjoyed driving a manual tranny, though I don't need it.

I might occasionally sleep in the bed, though it wouldn't be an every week type of thing.

Based on these things and on personal preference, I think I'm inclined to stick with the long bed and the Sport package. I do appreciate everyone's input. As I said, I'm new here and I'm very impressed at how active and helpful this board is.

17. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

DCLB Sport 4x4

18. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    fuballs

fuballs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab Long Bed SR5
    Leer Canopy, Thule Roof Rack, Aux Fog Lights, okledlightbars.com 30" double row, AUX fuse Box, Tepui Kukenam
    I have a 2007 SR5 w/ tow package, my brother has a 2007 TRD Sport (both double cab long bed). We both ski race and drive each others trucks a ton. We put 3500km on them just this month.

Here's my thoughts:
    - Different seats, we like the SR5 seats way more comfy on long hauls. TRD seats seem to have 'packed' out - -shitty foam?

- Geared slightly differently, my truck is a little bit faster accelerating, his has more torque and is a tiny bit better for towing

- Bed outlet, not worth it, there are a ton of electronics that get fucked up by using the bed outlet. mainly irons for waxing skis. Its not worth the cash

- Hood scoop, might look cool but we both hate it. he is actually looking for another hood he hates it so much. it actually cuts a fair bit of visibility out.

- Wheels, same difference. Its not significantly more expensive for him to get new tires than me.

- Bilstein hd shocks on TRD Sport. Originally his shocks were a little nicer in high speed corners and off road. But they are a bit more expensive when it comes to replacing them. so we are now both running 5100s now and they are a huge improvement from SR5 and TRD sport stock shocks.

My view...unless you really like the look of the TRD sport more than the SR5 it isn't worth the cash. save it and do something aftermarket, especially when you wear out the shocks and need to replace them.

19. Jan 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    GANGGREEN

Member:

Good info, I'm not sure you've convinced me yet but I really like the info from someone who's had/driven both.

20. Jan 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You should test drive both OP , most people post that they prefer the TRD seats , but onviously that would be up to the individual

Products Discussed in

To Top