Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Noob asks: Casual ramp kits?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
jaymoussy is on a distinguished road
jaymoussy's Tacoma Gallery
Question Noob asks: Casual ramp kits?

New to the Taco and trucks, I never had, or used a ramp, and would like to load up a smallish snowblower this week.

Low-duty ramps kits from Lowes / H-D (wood + aluminun tailgate end pieces)?

I will load a 530 lbs bike some time later, so I will need better, but don't have the time for that now
Old 02-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Poor College Student
User Name01 has much to be proud ofUser Name01 has much to be proud ofUser Name01 has much to be proud ofUser Name01 has much to be proud ofUser Name01 has much to be proud ofUser Name01 has much to be proud ofUser Name01 has much to be proud ofUser Name01 has much to be proud of

Name: Oscar
User Name01's Tacoma Gallery
You could use the ones from Lowes for now. I know some people that have had incidents with the boards slipping out from under them when loading/unloading. Just be safe with those because all they really do is hang on the tailgate. No real sense of security either. Just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a ramp from tractor supply. It's a tri fold, so it's nice an wide and all one unit. I also ratchet strap it to the tow package to secure it. It was about $100.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
PabloPicasso is on a distinguished road
PabloPicasso's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!! To be completally honest if money is no issue go to a four wheeler store or motorcycle store or basically anything like that and pick up a set of ramps. They are aluminum, have rubber coated ends on the side that lays on the tailgate and they usually are $100-$200 depending on the load rating. Basically the main difference between these and the tractor supply ones is these are individually ramps not a solid so it makes transporting them easier IMHO.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Take the tailgate off and put the ends of the ramps on the back end of the bed, this will prevent bending the tailgate. It only takes seconds to remove the tailgate and put it back on.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your eye out for a trailer in the meantime. They can be had for cheap used and loading stuff is much easier IMO. I have a couple.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
dilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud of

Marines: VMA-223
dilligaff82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
I bought a ramp from tractor supply. It's a tri fold, so it's nice an wide and all one unit. I also ratchet strap it to the tow package to secure it. It was about $100.
I think I bought the same one to load my 4 wheeler. Tri fold, 1600lb capacity, $99 @ tractor supply. Very sturdy & secure. The break over angle might be a little sharp for a bike depending on its ground clearance and wheelbase... But tractor supply has a good selection so you should be able to find something that fits your needs there..
Old 02-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaff82 View Post
I think I bought the same one to load my 4 wheeler. Tri fold, 1600lb capacity, $99 @ tractor supply. Very sturdy & secure. The break over angle might be a little sharp for a bike depending on its ground clearance and wheelbase... But tractor supply has a good selection so you should be able to find something that fits your needs there..
Sounds like the same that I have. I agree the angle is kinda steep. I find it easier to try and find a slope to back up to and use that to decrease the angle.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Take the tailgate off and put the ends of the ramps on the back end of the bed, this will prevent bending the tailgate. It only takes seconds to remove the tailgate and put it back on.
Not a bad idea for heavy stuff. That's what i did when I had an engine in the back and had to pull it out of my bed over my ramp.

Harbor Freight has a 1500# tri fold for $99 and it usually goes on sale for $75 (what I paid). Friend them on fakebook and sign up for their e-mails and they will send you coupons. http://www.harborfreight.com/super-w...amp-90018.html

Ive had mine for almost 5 years with zero issues. I run a ratchet strap from the ramp back to the bumper so it never slips out.

Products Discussed in this Thread