1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me deal with the dealer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FFRNDAN, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    FFRNDAN

FFRNDAN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Edinburg, Oh
    Vehicle:
    09 Acess Cab 4x4 MGM
    Shopping for a Double cab 4x4, found this one, about 2 hours away.

http://www.byersmazdasubaru.com/used/Toyota/2009-Toyota-Tacoma-c3115d450a0a00640db09614faa79c6b.htm

DCLB Sport 4x4 with a topper, 91k, $19,949

While the price isn't bad, I think they can come down a hair. The last email I got from the used salesman was:

"Hello Daniel,

the vehicle is in good condition . 4.9 , 3.9 and 2.9 availible with your great credit . the enter net price is a good market driven price . we need 30 to 45 minutes with your trade to get you full value for your trade ."

How should I respond to this? I'm a car buying newb here. I already told him I'm not driving 2 hours till we can agree on a price. School me!

2. Feb 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Why would you agree on a price sight unseen? What if there's things that you don't like about it and feel that it's worth even less? The first owner was corporate, hence the upkeep on its services. But the second owner had it for about 15k miles and for a very short time. I wonder what it went through. Was it ever wheeled? Was it abused? The bed looks like it carried a lot of....SOMETHING... I would also want to check under it at the frame because of the snow, look for rust issues. I know it has the undercoating but it was done in winter and perhaps salt was trapped under it. Notice how his email to you said "The vehicle is in good condition". GOOD. Not GREAT.

That being said, it's hard to tell you how to negotiate a price if you have not seen the car in person.

Also I noticed that in all of the services listed, none of the recalls were done.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. Feb 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM
    FFRNDAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Edinburg, Oh
    Vehicle:
    09 Acess Cab 4x4 MGM
    I'm guessing that since this was a company truck, it was used for service calls, possibly the cable guy or something. Which explains the mileage. The bed looks okay to me? I plan on making them put it on a lift so I can see underneath.

Just trying to justify the long drive down there, as this seems to be a nice truck based on what little info I have. Trying to figure out how to respond to this lazy salesman to get a little more info.

4. Feb 2, 2014 at 1:18 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Sell your (payed for) trade yourself, (you'll likely get more than what they will give you) threaten to pay cash (they get more if you finance) and you have to walk off the lot at least once! That'll let them know you are seriously not going to pay their asking price. I would still pay cash, and not buy any add-on services. (GAP ins., extended warranties, ect.)

5. Feb 2, 2014 at 2:14 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Seriously, a two hour drive is nothing...you need to be there in person...

6. Feb 2, 2014 at 2:45 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Company trucks are driven hard and not usually taken very good care of. I have bought new vehicles on the net but not used. You need to go see it as company trucks are abused many times. Go with a price in your head and don't be too eager to purchase.

7. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:40 AM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    Did you notice the crack on the speedometer face? Go there and bring a 2nd set of eyes. Have you considered that if you purchased this truck and you needed to get something addressed after you brought it home, you have a 2 hr drive back? If you consider a 2 hr drive is far, don't buy this truck.

8. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:52 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Pretty sure that's just glare in the picture. That's got way too perfect of a curve to be a crack. I don't think they'd show a nice close up if it was a crack.

9. Feb 2, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    Tommiet

Tommiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charlotte Area
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    NEVER let the dealer know you really the truck. If you do, they will not deal. Be ready to walk away.

They will also knock off for anything your trade needs. Do the same for the truck your wanting to buy.

Ask for a Carfax report.

10. Feb 2, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    diesel30

diesel30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    columbus ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 dbl cab long bed trd sport 4x4 mag gray
    carbon fiber blacked out grill ddm tuning hid kit 35w/55w bi-xenon kit ddm tuning hid fog light kit 35w m/t classic lock blacks fierce attitudes 285/70/17 5100's installed on front 2.5" rear TSB done masterlock tailgate lock 35% front window tint scangaugeII duplicolor red caliper paint
    this is a fairly reputable dealership. They've been in business for over 115 years. they started out selling horse drawn carriages back in the day. i used to work for another one of their franchises. I'm a used car manager @ another dealership and have a 2011 dc lb sport as well. I'm gonna be up in that area later on today. If you want I can swing by and take a look at it. Not gonna be able to get inside of it as I think they're closed today but I can check out the under carriage and body panels to see if it's been hit. as for the price, auction price is roughly 17k. after service and detail they're probably sniffing 18k for a cost on this. if it checks out then i think anything for a price that starts with an 18 would be a victory. Let me know if I can help.

11. Feb 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    FFRNDAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Edinburg, Oh
    Vehicle:
    09 Acess Cab 4x4 MGM
    Wow, that would be awesome. Thanks! It always helps to have someone on the "Inside" So my thinking of getting them to come down to about $19k is reasonable.

I'm not too worried about having issues after the fact, unless you mean finance issues, ect. If something breaks, I'll take care of it. I don't trust very many mechanics.

The fact that it has a long bed AND the topper is why I am interested. A short bed to me is half worthless. I'm pretty confident the truck is in good shape, but I plan on going over every inch of it with my wife if/when I go to look at it.

12. Feb 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    2009..well it's been paid for once, already.

The brake fluid level appears to show (I'll assume the front brake pads) could use replacement (soon).

90k could use a tune up, shocks (the tires look ok, I guess)

Change all the fluids, rad, brake, diffs, tranny etc

Figure 3k for maintenance.

I wouldn't pay a penny over $14,500

Honestly, I'd buy the cheapest new truck (even if it means a reg cab 5 lugger) on the lot.

13. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    Never let them know that this has to be the truck that you need. I have always said I was looking at other brands and have appointments set up with private party sellers in an couple of hours to view a similar car/truck that may not have the same options but better price w/out all the red tape of dealing with a dealer. Make them do their job as a salesman and sell you on the truck. If the price is close but you think they can do better, leave them your cell number and walk. Go down the street and have lunch and see if they call you back to work out a better deal. If there was no wiggle room on their part and they don't call, you can go back and tell them after thinking things over that the last offer works for you.

14. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    FFRNDAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Edinburg, Oh
    Vehicle:
    09 Acess Cab 4x4 MGM
    I probably forgot to mention that my wife and I have our first baby on the way, so I need something with a back seat. Love my current Access cab, so I am shooting for a double cab.

15. Feb 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    If you click on the link he provided, it includes the Carfax for it.

16. Feb 2, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    I'm gonna weigh in here with my .02, so take it for what it's worth.

Toyota or not, $20K is a lot of scratch for a used vehicle with almost 100K on the speedo. When I was looking at Tacos, they were asking mid to high $20K for 2, 3, 4 year old trucks with 70,000+ miles on them. So my thought was, why pay $27,500 for a 4 year old truck with 71,000 miles on it when for a few thousand more I can get a brand new truck which is exactly what I did.

I would just buy new, but again just my .02. Good luck!

17. Feb 2, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Access cab has baby seat anchors in the back. You should be saving every penney. Wait until after the baby comes home then decide if you "need" another truck. You may need the extra cash. I would not buy a truck right now! This purchase has way to much emotion driving it!

18. Feb 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    My 10 does not have anchors in the back, it's in the front. OP has an 09 so I'm not positive that they are the same. There is an air bag disable on the passenger side because that's where the baby is supposed to be for that body style.

19. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    100% agree^^^^^just like the other comment that was made...company vehicles tend to get the crap beat out of them. Be cautious and wish u the best with the hunt for a truck. Congrats on the new future bundle of joy.

20. Feb 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM
    east

east Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.E. N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4x4
    Have you done any comps on this truck? What are other trucks like this going for ? What is the book value on this truck ? Can you get them to offer you some kind of warranty on this ? Does this truck have verified service history ? There are a lot of variables you need to consider. I would take it to a mechanic and let them look at it. Remember time is on your side usually unless the truck is such a great deal but I would take my time and take everything into consideration.

Products Discussed in

To Top