Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Home made bed rack

Old 02-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt., Stinger missile gunner, 86-94
kevine's Tacoma Gallery
Home made bed rack

Okay, I know my welding sucks, but damn I'm loving welding! I had a real nice RTT rack that I bought used, and then sold. With a fraction of the money, I bought some 1" square tubing and some 2" angle iron. I measured the length across the bed, notched each cross bar about 8" from each end, and then bent them so that they were level to the bottom of the rear window. That way, I can haul long pieces of 2x4, more steel, etc., through the window w/o having to rest stuff on the rubber window seal. I then notched the ends, and welded them onto 6" pieces of angle iron. I was in the middle of grinding down the welds when my (Harbor Freight) grinder died. Gotta get a new one to finish, possibly re-weld some spots, and get ready for paint. If I can't make the bed cleats hold them to the rail, I'm going to either order some T-nuts with Allen screws to anchor them, or weld some nuts to some 3/16" thick pieces of steel bar that will slide into the rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Home made bed rack-image.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevine's Tacoma Gallery
another pic...ipad won't let me upload more than one pic per post
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

kevine's Tacoma Gallery
3 of 4
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #4

kevine's Tacoma Gallery
last one
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice, those are bad welds, once you finish your touch ups with a grinder and add a little paint it will good. What brand welder do you have mig / stick? Gas or gas less if mig. Your welder will also determine how good some if your welds will look. I started on a 10,000 dollar miller and my stuff looked great, them moved to my own 700 dollar Hobert, and initially they looked pretty ruff, but over time I was able to get it fine tuned on heat speed and gas flow and now it runs like a topend machine.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I need to proof read better before I post. I meant to say those aren't bad welds! It looks good !
Old 02-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
woodssyndicate is on a distinguished road

woodssyndicate's Tacoma Gallery
Not bad looking
Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #9

kevine's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks but the welds are fugly. Strong but fugly. I'll be grinding and sanding. It's going to be perfect for the cargo basket I made.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #10

I don't know how to weld so you have me beat either way. Do you have pics of your cargo basket? Definitely show pics when you have the whole thing finished and assembled.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Chris b.
western88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
western88's Tacoma Gallery
weld cutout!.. too many IP ..joking.. I used to work in the pipelines with welders looks good.. always work on straps before hitting on the project.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
ShortBedTX is on a distinguished road
ShortBedTX's Tacoma Gallery
looks good or functional for the most part. im going to make one similar thanks for posting
Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #13

kevine's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement. I've already tried to beat the welds with a 5 lb sledge, so I know they're strong, especially since it's not for an RTT, just a cargo basket to hold sleeping bags, duffle bags, occasional bundles of firewood, etc. when I go camping. Probably never exceed 150 lbs. Now the question is, do I purchase T-nuts (http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/85445-ta...slot-nuts.html) or just buy some 1/4" thick steel bar, and weld nuts to it, to be able to anchor it into the bed rail? Any thoughts on this TW?

I made the basket from left over electrical conduit. I found a video on Youtube of a guy making it with rivets. I went ahead and used screws with lockwashers and nuts, and then, ended up welding it as well. It's also fugly, but strong and will serve the purpose of hauling gear. Best thing is, the conduit was free, so my total investment was about $8 for the screws, nuts and washers! I just finished painting it. Once I paint/coat the bed rack, I'll mount and post some finished pics.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good I just finished this.

It was a beast. Taylor nuts I found at fastnel for like 12 bucks each. Ouch. Looks good and on the cheap way to go.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #15

kevine's Tacoma Gallery
That looks sweet!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #16
BeeeCeee is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
BeeeCeee's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice fellas! I wished I knew how to weld. I just purchased some crossbars from Relentless Fab. Still looking around for a basket for every day use and hopefully get a RTT when a group buy happens.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #17

kevine's Tacoma Gallery
all done!!

Okay, I finished the bed rack, and used a material, similar to Line-X (not as strong) that you paint on. The cargo basket was made with EMT tubing that had been left in our garage by the prior owner of the house. It took about 5 pieces. I flattened the ends of the straight pieces, drilled hole and used a screw with lockwasher and nut. After getting it all sanded, etc., I ended up welding all the connections on the basket, primering and painting. Attached it to the bed rack with u-bolts, with lockwashers and nuts.

The bed rack sits just about the same level as the bottom of the rear sliding window, so if I have to pick up long piping, 2x4's, etc., I can feed them through the window and strap them to the bed rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #18
nettto is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
nettto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
Okay, I know my welding sucks, but damn I'm loving welding! ....
In case you haven't seen it yet, there is a welding thread on the site too
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gar...g-welding.html

Rack turned out nice!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #19
12thmanhawkfan is on a distinguished road

Name: Robby
12thmanhawkfan's Tacoma Gallery
The finished product looks great OP!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 AM   #20

I like it man, looks good