1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do i clean my anodized engine?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Elicarpenter2234, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Feb 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    Elicarpenter2234

Elicarpenter2234 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eli
    Brooklyn ct
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD OR
    3" billy's lift, billet grill,LED Gauge cluster, black housing headlights
    Hey everyone i have a 05 tacoma TRD OR that i bought with 68k original miles. now its obvious to me that the first owner let it sit alot due to the entire engine is anodized. i was wondering if anyone has a secret way to clean this off instead of using a metal brush that will scuff the aluminum casting or aluminum wheel cleaner because neither of those have worked for me. they are also very time consuming. and i can't get it bead blasted due to the mostor still being in my truck. so i will take any advice and possibly try anything to get this crap to go away. thanks

2. Feb 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I think you mean oxidized. Vinegar will remove oxidization on aluminum, but there is no magic cleaner you can spray on that will polish the aluminum. It takes good old fashioned elbow grease. Or mother's aluminum polish and a powerball on a cordless drill. That's how I clean my motorcycle engine.
    http://www.motherspowerball.com/

3. Feb 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM
    Drakivnsf

Drakivnsf Dance Party Guru

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '12 White Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    TRD Supercharger, URD CAI, BRP pre-axle catback, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, Power Sliding rear window, Glassworks Unlimited Front Fenders, ScS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, 3" All-Pro Std Leafs, 2.0 Fox adj. res. shocks, 2.5 Fox res. Coilovers, All-Pro +2" LT kit, Timbren Bumpstops front and rear, All-Pro U-Bolt flip kit, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front bumper, RCI IFS Skid, RCI Sliders, more to come.....
    I was hoping there were gonna be picture of an anodized engine, because I figured that was gonna be interesting lol. But yeah you definitely mean oxidized. That's a tough one, needs scrubbing. it sucks.

4. Feb 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Anodized aluminum is actually aluminum that's had a protectant applied to it. Your speaking of slight corrosion that probably looks like a white powdery like substance. It won't hurt anything. It just looks ugly. Aside from using some elbow grease and abrasive pads, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

5. Feb 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    Elicarpenter2234

Elicarpenter2234 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eli
    Brooklyn ct
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD OR
    3" billy's lift, billet grill,LED Gauge cluster, black housing headlights
    Thanks guys i guess its back to putting in long effort to clean it. It just sucks that the previous owner let it sit for a long time and to let the frame to have scaling rust and motor to look like crap. Ill try the vinegar.

Products Discussed in

To Top