1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Short shifters, do I need additional mods or they good to go?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Krs1760, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Feb 6, 2014 at 10:46 PM
    Krs1760

Krs1760 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 taco silver baja bitch!
    2.5" fox coilovers w/remote resivour, tc uca's, 2.0" fox piggy backs, allpro exp leaf packs timbren bumps, pelfrybuilt front bumper with smittybuilt xr -20 winch with 20" bar behind grill. More lights to come with armor. 1999 pop up in the bed
    Hello everyone this is a several part question and yes I searched and couldn't find anything about my question. The main question is above, do I need additional mods like re gearing or anything in drive train or just the short shifter? Also I do a lot of camping in baja which results in a lot of beach driving. A full load in sand it's very difficult to keep momentum in between gears, in deep sand it seems by the time I hit second gear I already have to down shift into first to keep going, will this mod help? Also how long do these things last and what are current problems they have other than a tuff reverse. Then trd or urd? Thanks for reading and every little bit of info helps!!!!

2. Feb 7, 2014 at 2:35 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    The short "THROW" shifter will help you to shift a little faster due to the fact that there is less slop and a shorter distance to shift. It's a bolt on item, but it sounds like your problem may be lack of torque. It might in the long run make shifting more difficult because the long throw shifter has more leverage and goes into gear easier. Just slower to shift. I think for your application, re-gearing would be the way to go...Or a combination of things.

3. Feb 7, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2.5" fox coilovers w/remote resivour, tc uca's, 2.0" fox piggy backs, allpro exp leaf packs timbren bumps, pelfrybuilt front bumper with smittybuilt xr -20 winch with 20" bar behind grill. More lights to come with armor. 1999 pop up in the bed
    I would love to re gear but just don't have the cash that will be later down the road. For me the power is there if I shift fast enough for the most part, but we could all use more torque and hp. So is this not really a good mod for off roading or more just racing. Couldn't find much info other than people love the mod and it's easy to do

4. Feb 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Guess there's not to many people on here with much experience with these, darn!

5. Feb 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    lots of people have the short throw shifters. I have the URD shifter, shortens the throw like 40% or something. Pretty much keeps your knuckles from slamming the dash. About all it does lol .

6. Feb 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I had the URD one. I took it out and sold it. Unless you are drag racing, not really a worthwhile mod. If you are going to Baja a lot good tires and lower gears would be a better investment, and of course better suspension. Or just buy lots of Tecate and fish taco's and enjoy what you have.

7. Feb 8, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Lol fish tacos and beer are deff priority number one! I have the tires and suspension but not gearing, That's down the road for sure. I didn't even know this mod existed till a few days ago and thought 100 bucks isn't bad! Guess I'm just itching to spend some cash on the truck.

8. Feb 8, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    cholland

cholland Active Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    13 Access cab 4x V6 manual
    Also check out the Core Hurst shifter for another choice. They offer two options on the throw distance. I kinda like the way they look. That alone should add 5hp, right?

9. Feb 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I heard pin strips add 5 more. I just wish I could drive a truck with either. Yes urd is an extension but is it worth an extra 200 for a shaft?

Products Discussed in

To Top