1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chains

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Feb 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    ailll1

ailll1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Québec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Trd Sport Double cab
    Ditch your mud tires and get winter tires

2. Feb 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    I'm still not sure which direction to go.

To those suggesting proper winter tires and to those suggesting that I just need more practice driving in those snow, I say - here in Eugene, Oregon, we don't traditionally get snow, and if we do, it melts away within the day. But this year, we have already have had 2 storms come through and drop quite a bit of snow (for our standards). The problem with a town that isn't used to snow is that it shuts down when there is snow. During our first storm, the cities 1 snow play slid off the road (it was probably just a Ford with a snow plow mounted on it) and was out of service for a few days. This led to a few inches of ice on the roads for days. Ice leading to the second problem, after a storm it seems to warm up enough that all the snow turns to ice for a few days. During this storm, it was 3 days before they plowed the roads here, and I live downtown, not out in the country. Today, 5 days after the storm passed, I saw a bus that had slid perpendicular to the road due to ice. So, I simply live in a town that is getting snow and isn't prepared for it at all.

That said, I am looking for chains that will handle unplowed and icy roads. I'm just not sure if I need the heavy duty chains for that or if the RudGrip chains are good enough to handle unplowed and icy roads. I would love a chance to spend time in an open parking lot practicing "snow driving" but last time I tried to drive out in the snow without chains, my truck couldn't make it over a small hump between my driveway and the street. I do need experience driving in the snow, but until I get that, I want to be as safe as possible and have as much traction as possible.

Buying winter tires or studded tires doesn't make sense for a couple / few weeks of snow a year. I also have no place to store them considering I am in college and living in an apartment.

Who here thinks that the RudGrip chains could handle unplowed roads with a coating of ice under them? Will the Glacier Chains be better than the RudGrips in the conditions I've talked about? Considering that I don't have experience driving in the snow, I want the most traction possible.

Would this be possible? RudGrip chains on the front (for lateral traction) and Glacier Chains on the rear for maximum traction? Or is that complete overkill? I know that would be kind-of expensive, but it's a lot cheaper than getting into an accident.

How to cables preform in comparison to chains?

Second question – something that I really didn't like last time was the front of the truck sliding to the right while I was breaking. Would chains on the front help with breaking and keep the front from sliding left or right while breaking? Note: I saw someone mention earlier that 2nd gen Tacomas don't have clearance for chains in the front? How is that possible? Chains fit on my parent's BMW's which seam to have far less clearance around the wheels than the Tacoma?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Feb 11, 2014 at 2:47 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    The outside edge of your upper control arm rides pretty close to the sidewall of the front tire, go have a look. It's much too close for there to be any room for a tire chain flailing around without beating the upper control arm off. You might be able to run chains if you got a 1.5" wheel hub spacer and ran 235/85 R16 tires. You would need to do something like that to create some space for the chain to do its thing. Stock tire sizes, no way.

4. Feb 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Yeah, the diamond pattern is for lateral stability. Those Ruud Grip brand are pretty good in my experience, quick easy install/deinstall.

5. Feb 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    [​IMG]

I love these tires, and will only buy tires with the severe snow rating from now on.

Also I keep chains on hand as an emergency but I have never used them on road. You might want to check local laws before you chain up, they aren't allowed on most roads and if is like Canada there is a massive fine for running them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. Feb 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM
    Jhodgman

Jhodgman ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 DCLB tacoma V6 TRD Sport
    5100 Bilstiens set at 1.75, progressive leaf pack, BFGs, All-Pro rear Bumper(white), Storm troopered out
    I dont know about snow tires or chains but did anyone else notice the op's location says san diego. Made me laugh thinking about snow there. Im gonna assume he goes to school outside of san diego

7. Feb 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    Ya I noticed that LOL Snow tires might now be the best recomendation but an AT tire like the General AT2 is severe snow rated.

8. Feb 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    SIZZLE

SIZZLE Pro-party

Member:
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    A little a this, a little a that...
    Really, so you can't fit chains on the front with stock or 265/75/16 size tires without whipping your junk? Anyone else have that experience?

Thanks.

9. Feb 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    Hartford

Hartford Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Acc Cab 5spd
    No chains on the front when stock. Not enough room for clearance between the upper control arm and tire. Putting a wider 265 class tire on there will just make it worse.

10. Feb 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    Duratracs are severe snow rated too. Myself and a lot of the guys in AK run them and really like them :)

11. Feb 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    Ezriderga

Ezriderga Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma xtracab BB
    We don't usually get snow in GA but we have had several inches this week. I happened upon these earlier this week and put them in my truck just in case. I have since read about making rope chains using 3/8 inch nylon rope. Looks like it's easier and safer for tires if they work. Google and watch the you tubes if you want more info

[​IMG]

12. Feb 12, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    I have these exact snow cables also....easy on and off....I have a 4x4 but keep these with me just in case....I figure if I need a heavy snow chain then I shouldn't be out driving...lol

[​IMG]

13. Feb 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    billinwoodland

billinwoodland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    N. Cal
    Out west we have a tire store called Les Schab. They sell a tire chain that looks similar to the diamond pattern one in your origilnal post. I have had them on two vehicles. They are totally awesome. The ones that Schab sells are the easiest chains to install and for me, the diamond pattern seems to help get through the ice. With that said, when conditions get so bad up in the sierras that require 4 wheel drive vehicles to chain up, its time to park it.

14. Feb 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    4WDtcoflvrdksss

4WDtcoflvrdksss New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Lift, Tires, Chip
    Speaking of snow, El Nino just blew into the southeast today. 4WD is nice but in tight spots you need tire chains too. I was rummaging through my family jewels and stumbled onto some old tire chains that looked like they were from the 1940's. It made me think of my grandparents like Jews they were so old! [​IMG] But I wanted to make use of them. The only problem was they were way too old & short in length to fit my 30's. So, I fashioned some tire chain extensions out of 400 lb. test monofilament and some double barrel crimps I had left over from spearfishing. The problem was the width of the middle band of chains just weren't wide enough for all-terrains. My prototypes kept sliding off. Also, the extensions were fashioned in such a way that they could be taken back off & put on a small rim tire so no-one could tell. Maybe, it's supposed to be loops of mono. wrapped through the rims and tied to the side chains and connector extensions? I'm trying to find a short fix that you could take off-and-on and accommodate both small and large size tires with mainstream materials. (besides rope) There's an XPrize for it! (not) If anyone has successfully made tire chain extensions an explanation and pics would be nice; tire chains aren't good just for snow but for mud too!

file000003.jpg
    file000005.jpg
    file000013.jpg
    file000015.jpg
    file000019.jpg

15. Feb 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    Hartford

Hartford Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Acc Cab 5spd
    ^^^ I don't think that's going to work out too well for. Like you said the chains aren't wide enough for that tire, and I can't see that monofilament holding up. Could be wrong though. Interested to hear if you get them to work that way.

16. Feb 13, 2014 at 1:38 AM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    ^
    This was a good laugh!
    Are those BFG's from the 80's? Did you REALLY drive with those "chains" on it like that? Looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen....

17. Feb 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5

Looks like chains off of walk behind snow blower wheels.

Products Discussed in

To Top