1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Some advice, trading in/life

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ZachMX, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Feb 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    ZachMX

ZachMX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Hey guys, been fielding alot of people's opinions on the matter and figured id ask my buddies here. So basically lately I have been contemplating selling my MX bike and thus also selling/trading in my tacoma for something more fuel efficent like a mazda 6, etc. My roommate much to my surprise decided to get court house married and has orders to follow his new bride accordingly leaving me to pick up the additional $900 in rent until maybe if Im lucky get a roommate. Which made me look at my finances which has also led to some deeper questions. I can afford to live on my own but it would be a cut in my expendable income, would mean less track days if I still have the bike and changing how i buy food, etc, basically back to my bachelor/college days at least until I find a roommate. If I sold my beloved bike and taco I would have a significant more cushion room with gas saved, track/bike maintence, etc. But not sure what I would do in my free time, since I definately love riding, though Im not the best at it. Sometimes I think my bike and truck and mx define who I am and Im not too fond of that either. But I also dont want to be unhappy driving around in something I may not like. Im only getting older, have had two bad accidents on the bike (last year). And seems like there's limited riding (6 months of the year), closest track is an hour and half and 30 dollars a day. Just torn on what the adult side of me thinks and what my heart or desires think. Just figured I'd ask everyone on here. Thanks, Zach

2. Feb 9, 2014 at 12:54 PM
    spencer44306

spencer44306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Upstate Ny
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport 4x4
    get a new roommate

3. Feb 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    tomwilson74

tomwilson74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    OME 3” lift Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheels
    Do what you love while you can! Don't look back and have regrets. I would try to keep one, the bike or the truck.

4. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    Are you on active duty?

5. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    Tacoma VT

Tacoma VT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R. Kessler
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD sport
    OME 884s, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Icon 3 leaf progressive AAL (with overload in), Rear leaf TSB, ImMrYo mirror relocater, ARE Z series cap, Hi Lift jack W/ DIY mount, trimmed Mud Flaps, Devil Horns by Andres, EGR In-Channel rain guards, LED bed lights, Weather Techs
    I hated my Mazda! Traded it in for the Tacoma.

6. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    ^^ Right. Sell the bike, keep the truck. In the long run, an old POS will cost more than your truck.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  7. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    sell everything and buy old POS

8. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    x2

9. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    ZachMX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    yep.

10. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Keep the truck dude! I pay 60 bucks a week to fill my truck up and dang does it hurt. But just when I want to get rid of my truck I remind myself its paid for and I would lose a ton of cash on a trade in.

11. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    slowmachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH

PM sent

12. Feb 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Get a 06-08 Subaru Forester. Can still go camping or whatever, AWD, a wee bit of gc, haha better than a car . . .

13. Feb 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    slowmachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH

FTFY

14. Feb 9, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

Selling the bike will bail you out for a couple of months.

Replacing the Tacoma with a more efficient vehicle will save you money on gas day to day, but unless you can buy the Mazda for what you owe on the Tacoma... AND you can get trade value for what you owe, it's going to end up costing you money... possibly more than the fuel savings.

Basic Mazda 6 sport is about $21k, gets 25-37
    Figure it gets 10mpg better than the Tacoma.
    How far do you drive? The less you drive, the less money it will save you.
    If you drive 500 miles a week...
    500 miles @ 18mpg = 28 gallons = $95 at $3.40
    500 miles @ 28mpg = 18 gallons = $61 at $3.40

So if you drive 500 miles a week, it'll save you only $136/month in gas.

Balance that against your payments... you aren't going to trade in the Tacoma and walk out with a Mazda 6 without putting some cash on the table. There's the money from your bike.

I ran your truck through Edmunds, figured 36k, and loaded you up on options. Trade value is around $19.5k... so even on the cheapest Mazda 6 you've got $2k plus title and other fees on top of your trade.
    If you owe more than $20k, then you'll need to make up that difference too.

15. Feb 9, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Rich nailed it.

16. Feb 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    slowmachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    With no payments on the Tacoma, the maximum you could save per month is the combined cost of your maintenance, registration, insurance, and fuel. Then you would be walking. If you don't have a 50+ mile commute, you probably won't save any meaningful monthly amount by switching cars.

17. Feb 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya, I've gone through selling/pawning things to make it to the end of the month.
    In the end, the next month, you're right where you were 30 days ago, but now your account is overdrawn and you don't have anything left to sell.
    It sucks when you open the mail and realize that you just sold a $400 guitar for $100 to make a payment on a TV that you sold the month before.

Only sell the bike if you simply don't want it anymore.
    If it is something you still enjoy, you'll be kicking yourself for selling it because it'll be 10 years before you replace it (if ever).
    Bingo.
    I figured 500 miles a week as an extreme (that's about what I do).
    250 miles a week only saves $70/mo.
    100 miles a week only saves $30/mo.

What I found helps significantly save on both fuel and money in general is to document EVERYTHING.
    When you drive somewhere, write down where you went, why you went there, and how many miles it was.
    When you buy something, write it down.
    Ditch the debit and credit cards. Deal with 100% cash.
    Debit cards make it too easy to significantly increase your spending through "impulse" purchases.
    Knock off ALL fast food. Fast food is fucking expensive. You can eat the same breakfast sandwich bought from Walmart for 1/4th the price. The microwave is your friend.
    Same for buying beer at the bar. $3-$5 for a beer and you're going to give another buck to the bartender.... you can buy a sixxer of a premium craft beer for $10.

But write everything down. It forces you to think before you buy something, and it gives you something to look at on Saturday to see where you might be able to save.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  18. Feb 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    ZachMX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the great advice guys. I was mostly thinking of trading in to get something in warranty and to save gas, but of course would owe alot more and be paying all the interest up front again. I finally am at a point with the taco that I owe about 3k less than what its worth. And to be honest I'd never be happy with the mazda, my taco was my forever truck, which is why only the best fluids, do my own maintence, etc.
    As far as the bike, I love MX, its the one thing that gurantees to put a smile on my face. I was only considering selling her to put that money back into savings and savings overall by not riding, but as someone else put it life is short, enjoy it.
    I save about $600-700 a month from my paycheck, and like I said can cut a little now from what I spend on new things to make up for the extra $900 a month, it just puts me in a close line/space every month I dont really feel 100% with, but again, getting a roommate will eliminate that, but I like to think in worst case scenarios. Rich thanks for the breakdown with the gas and vehicle savings, makes things alot clearer. Still thinking with the bike, had a few offers, but am real hesitant to part way's with my baby.

19. Feb 9, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    If you're putting away $600/mo, then you've probably got a good amount of savings to carry you a few months as long as you get looking for a new roomie ASAP.
    I was out of work for 7 months in 2009 and when I got my current job, we had enough left in savings for one more month on the mortgage.

20. Feb 9, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Are there no trails in your area?

I sold my bike at 20, and after 8 years of no riding just got another one. This time around I am sticking to trail riding, hill climbs, etc. No track riding.

I hear what you are saying about the truck being part of your identity. I definitely would not sell the truck. Just find a new roommate.

Products Discussed in

To Top