1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Taco but need help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Charlie213, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    If it is working correctly you do not need to stop or push in the clutch or have it in neutral if you are going into 4H. Just turn the button while driving and it should go in. Sometimes you do need to turn the steering wheel back and forth while driving forward. You can do this up to 60MPH, but I would recommend a much slower speed. Also do not push on the button to go into 4H. Just turn it without pushing on it. This does not take miles. Just a few feet at most.

For 4L you need to stop the vehicle, push the clutch all the way to the floor, push on the button and turn it and it should go in. If not drive very slowly forward in 1st and turn the front wheels back and forth and it goes in.

The reason the alarm went off is because it was not in 4H first. Unless it is in 4H first you cannot put it into 4L because 4L does not put it in into 4x4. It only puts it into low so it has to already be in 4x4. Once the alarm goes off you have to start all over with it in 2 wheel drive to clear the system. By the way all this should be done off pavement or on snow.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    Charlie213

Charlie213 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 OR TRD 6speed DCSB 4X4
    So far I tried the following:
    -25x forward & reverse while slightly turning wheels
    -stepped on clutch all the way down, switch to 4hi, move wheels from side to side, rolled on 1st gear
    -traveling below 60mph and switching to 4hi(per instructions on my visor)

All this and still nothing. My next step is to lift front end, put into 4hi and rorate drivers side tires and check if they lock? What I don't understand is, if they don't lock, then what? What does that mean?

When I'm under the truck, am I suppose to hear anything click when 4hi is turned on?

What are my other option in diagnosing this problem to get to the root of it. Can't afford to take to dealer for a check up nor get unnecessary parts. Any help will be grateful.

3. Feb 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Well it sounds like the front diff actuator is stuck or dead. I have known people to tap on them and they start working or remove them and open them up and clean the contacts. I understand that they cost about 300 dollars if bad. Here is an article on the FJ which is similar in its working as the Tacoma.
    http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...differential-actuator-repair-replacement.html

Here is another that might help.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    Charlie213

Charlie213 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 OR TRD 6speed DCSB 4X4
    Did the following and nothing:
    -lifted truck, spun drivers wheel while in 4hi and no locking or counter spinning on opposite wheel.
    -tapped actuator several times

Next steps, will be to to check actuator with multimeter. Am I only checking for continuity across the actuator terminals? Is there something else that I'm missing? I don't want to take it apart before I check all possibilities while still mounted. Can I clean it without removing the actuator? Do I spray it with WD-40 to clean it?

I noticed each time I switched into 4hi, I heard air pressure, now what I don't know if it was being releasing or sucking air.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top