1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help from those with "Snow" experience...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jimsc, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Feb 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Like everyone else said, tires are the most important factor. We've had tons of snow up here in Rochester this winter but I haven't used 4wd nearly as much as I did in my old truck with less aggressive tires. 4wd is great to get you started and keep you moving but the sliding through corners and stopping will be the biggest issue regardless of drivetrain. Take it slow and keep plenty of space between other people so you don't rear end someone or get rear-ended. Honestly, given everyone's inexperience down there getting rear-ended would be my biggest concern.

2. Feb 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    GreatCanadian

GreatCanadian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    Reading the above posted forecast, that's more than just a foot of fluffy snow. There's sleet mixed in, and some wind for reduced visibility. Things could get a little hairy there. I make it a point to go out and drive in that stuff. My main concern down your way would be your tires, and OTHER drivers. Could be setting yourself up for an accident that may or may not be your fault. Avoid the traffic. Now if you wanna try it for some fun, go drive some less traveled side roads. But watch for deep drifts created by that wind. And with 2WD if the roads aren't plowed you're not getting through it. I'm basing that statement on a guess that the snow might be a bit clammy according to that forecast. If not, you might be able to handle it. AND if that sleet hits the road before the snow it could be treacherous.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    this...if my Taco were 2wd, i would not go out in any significant snow. it isnt worth wrecking your truck or getting stuck somewhere.

4. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    Nope, you're going to be stuck on the road with everyone else...

5. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)

Your tires, little experience, type of snow/road conditions and the other drivers will be the limiting factors rather than 2wd vs 4wd. Weight that does not shift around in the box centered over your axle does help considerably for gaining traction on your rear wheels. Grip at the front for steering is the next problem. You could lower the air pressure in your tires to improve grip, down to 15-20psig if you must drive.

That said, i've driven a front wheel drive rental car with all-season tires in Pennsylvania after a snowstorm dropped a foot of wet snow. It was fun, while there were next to no vehicles on the rural roads I was on. Having experience in the snow helped a lot to know what to expect.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Also, SCHP is already going to be overwhelmed...why add to the problem?

7. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
  8. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM
    oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spokane WA/Viola TN
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD
    Stock
    I remember trying to get home one night in my 68 c10 with a clutch and bald tires (2wd) I was OK till I hit the hills i hit this hill about 8x before I made it.

This was in TN with only about 6"

Stay home the state wont be able to clear it salt it etc and your only 2wd take the 4wheeler out in it or the kids and the sleds or something.

9. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    Hughesc99

Hughesc99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Derby, KS
    Sure do. He asked for help. So I was giving him the knowledge that I have. Whether he takes it or leaves it, thats up to him.

Agreed. 300lbs of sand bags (I think thats what he wrote) are not going to move. Especially if the sand inside is gets wet. I've always had the best luck with the weight over the axle. To the front would be my next choice. By the tail gate would be the worse. Too much momentum if you start sliding.

10. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    We are just finishing up a winter storm that was very unusual for the Portland area. We had about 7 or 8 inches of snow. I have a Prerunner and did okay. However, I have fairly new Goodyear Duratracs so I'm sure that helped a lot. I also have a bed cap so that adds some weight to the back. I did fine the first few days when the snow was still falling. Those tires kept me going up hills and stopped me on the way back down (as long as I started slowing early).

The problems I did have began once the freezing rain started. Once the freezing rain started, everything turned to ice. I had to scrape away about 1/4 inch of ice off my windows just to make it home. The roads were equally terrible at this point. Didn't matter if you have the best tires with four wheel drive. Everyone was sliding around. I witnessed a handful of vehicles trying to drive up my hill. One of them had four wheel drive; they didn't make it up the hill.

Long story short, you should do alright in the snow as long as you drive carefully. But once everything starts to ice over, don't drive unless you have to.

11. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    jro1

jro1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jesse
    Red Deer AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport
    Driver
    that much snow here would be a "Call up your buddy's and go for a drive night"

12. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    I suppose you already know, to go out and buy bread, milk and toilet paper; that is the first thing you want to do. Why? I don't know, that what everybody does.

The truck:

I didn't read all the posts; but is it a 4x4? If not; the weight you put in the back will help a great deal, if you have winter/snow tires. Probably not in SC.

If you get close to the 12 inches of snow; be safe and call in work, to take the day off. No use going out and destroying your truck and getting hurt, or hurting someone else.

12 inches is nasty enough for us seasoned winter drivers.

Just be safe.

oldracer

13. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    spencer44306

spencer44306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Upstate Ny
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport 4x4
    2x4 world problems:notsure:

14. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    Brakeman

Brakeman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston mass
    Vehicle:
    Sport TRD 4x4
    Sound 's like fun too me !

15. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    Blueitrgsr

Blueitrgsr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Gainesville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4wd
    Some bilsteins, OME 885's, and an AAL.
    Yeah it's incredible how everyone seems to react up here and how different cities are handling the situation. I've gotta work third shift to tonight, otherwise I wouldn't be going out in it. Luckily I'm 4wd and have good tires, my only concern is the ice tomorrow morning they are forecasting. Might take a tooth brush and a pillow in the truck to work just in case.

And I was out sliding around in a local high school parking lot just to get a feel for sliding around. Moving here 2 years ago from living all my life in Florida means I've never really had to do this.

16. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    John 2013

John 2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NY
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Tonneau cover, tail lite protectors, weather tech floor mats. Much more to come.
    I wouldn't take a 2wd P U out in the snow. Asking for trouble.

17. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    We got 8" last week. I love "breaking trail" on the road in that type of snow. Any time you're one of a handful of vehicles on a 5 mile stretch of interstate, you know it's serious.

That being said, I would not leave my garage without a 4x4 in 8" of snow. Especially somewhere that isn't used to snow. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Sounds like it's not going to hit you until tomorrow night at the earliest. You need to go out TONIGHT and get some stuff to keep you occupied Thurs & Fri, & maybe all weekend. That means plenty of beer and some movies & some fun stuff to cook.

Your road crews are not going to be equipped to handle 10" of snow, which means multiple days to clear it all. Good luck with all that.

18. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    Jimsc

Jimsc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab
    Aries Nerf Bars, Cargo Seperator
    I've got a Yokohama Geolander HTS. About 1/2 worn. They are good tires. Wife has 4WD BMW X3 maybe she will let me drive it if I have to get to work.

19. Feb 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    At best you will be contributing to problems, at worst you going have to leave truck somewhere. 2wd's are better be staying home.

20. Feb 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    Blueitrgsr

Blueitrgsr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Gainesville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4wd
    Some bilsteins, OME 885's, and an AAL.

Hey man, I'd be more than happy to give you a lift if you need it. I get off work at 7am just give me a shout if there's anything I could do.

Products Discussed in

To Top