1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cold air induction

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by duppers1957, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Feb 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I gotcha.

2. Feb 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    It's an aesthetic mod. We don't even use them for performance gains on stage3+ turbo cars. A cone filter in the engine bay is simply a hot air intake.

3. Feb 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    SeminoleTRD

SeminoleTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DCLB
    3" ProComp Add-a-leaf, 1.5" SpiderTrax, Center Bearing shim, Nitto TerraGrappler 285/70R17, Volant Air Box, BakFlip Tonneau HD, DIY 3.5mm AUX Jack install, D-Ring bed mounts, Plasti-Dipped badges, Dumped 50 Series Flowmaster with DeltaFlow Tech, Lumen LED Fog Lights, Lumen Marker Lights, Spyder Smoke Headlights, Satoshi Grill, Anytime Fogs
    I even stated it wasn't a Tacoma, just an example of CAI. Not trying to solve a murder here. Didn't mean to kick your dog bro. Not like I threw a video up of a how to tile a bathroom. It was a quick post. Your at a 8, I need you at 3.

4. Feb 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    This is a big problem on cars where the CAI is run down into the lower front grill area, which on a car is low to the ground. Anytime they would hit deep water and the filter was submerged the engine would end up hydrolocked.

AEM came up with a fix that required cutting the intake pipe at the highest point and installing a filtered pressure valve. If the filter became submerged the pressure would increase, which opened the bypass valve and saved the engine from damage.

5. Feb 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    I was gonna say do the deck plate mod, but second gens can't do that can they?

6. Feb 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    SeminoleTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DCLB
    3" ProComp Add-a-leaf, 1.5" SpiderTrax, Center Bearing shim, Nitto TerraGrappler 285/70R17, Volant Air Box, BakFlip Tonneau HD, DIY 3.5mm AUX Jack install, D-Ring bed mounts, Plasti-Dipped badges, Dumped 50 Series Flowmaster with DeltaFlow Tech, Lumen LED Fog Lights, Lumen Marker Lights, Spyder Smoke Headlights, Satoshi Grill, Anytime Fogs
    The other posts here have valid opinions and insight to the matter. Thanks for the corrrection on "constrictive" 13TRD lol Good catch.
    The euro video is well done. But let's use Kimmyh's arguement where he went bold and underline on me...it's not a Tacoma lol That video did show and prove a lot, well done 99Taco. Thank you. The only thing I have to say to that is, our ECUs learn and relearn, and they aren't going to do that off one startup if you keep changing the intake setup. It takes a few minutes and miles. Just like putting on a larger throttle body, the truck's ECU has to take a minute to learn. Don't just throw it on a dyno and expect immediate results. Not saying you will see 3 seconds shaved off your quarter mile and that our ECU is some supercomputer...it has it's limits. Any vehicle properly tuned will show results over stock. But our ECU will adapt a little to the new CAI and make power.
    The more you open your intake and exhaust (without losing too much back pressure) the more power your engine will make. Reprogramming the ECU will give you more. Again, we aren't talking SC/TC/Nitrous numbers, we are talking nickle and dime numbers, but still improvement.
    I put my stock tubing next to my Volant and the Volant is much more free flowing with less bends. It is not hot air intake because it comes with it's own sealed airbox...like stock ;) It pulls from the same area as stock...unless you use the Ram Scoop. The ram scoop pulls more air from the front of the truck....kinda like that video did.
    The air may not be cooler, but it's more free flowing. I look at it like running a 5k while breathing through a straw compared to not breathing through a straw. The truest cooler air would come from a snorkel.
    I noticed a difference over time and like the kit. Maybe it's psychological, or maybe it's because I did before and after runs with the truck...

And I'll jump of this ban waggon...that's just my 2 pennies

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  7. Feb 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    ^Then why not just use a better drop in filter, And replace it more often, or get an oil'able filter in the stock box? Because there are not enough gains to warrent the cost buying a filters twice a year and the oil in serviceable filters can screw up the mass air flow sensors.

It's like a cat back, it's just for looks/sound.

N Aren't there 2 chambers to filter on the intakes? Isn't there a mod to just cut out the first one and extend some dryer hose to the headlight area or something? I can't think of a better solution

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  8. Feb 14, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    SeminoleTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DCLB
    ^you could do the replaceable filters too if you want. Not saying that's a horrible idea. The OP just wanted to know about the Volant kit. If we really start asking why this and why that then that's a whole new thread. Do guys/gals really need massive amounts of LEDs with Lumen brighter than the sun when most won't use them? How many lifted Taco's are mall crawlers? Really need mud tires on a daily driver?

9. Feb 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    ^Yeah agreed, in the end I guess we're talking about an NA truck lol

10. Feb 17, 2014 at 2:33 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The bolded doesn't mean what you think obviously.

All engines are not the same. Posting saying that CAI Will give performance gains on all engines is Not Truthful to say the least. Your evidence is not making a point, so why post it.

I am not your Bro, so do not call me that. I hate it. Thanks.

I am however old enough to be your Pa.

I am not at any 8 whatever that means.

I don't really give a crap where you want me, 3 or otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  11. Feb 18, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    SeminoleTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DCLB
    So hostile; you need a bubble bath or something. Want to talk about your problems in PM so you aren't ruining the OP's thread? Maybe I can help you find a swimming pool to cool off in...pa.

12. Feb 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  13. Feb 18, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    duppers1957

duppers1957 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    ukiah,california
    Vehicle:
    2006 preruner sr5
    throttle body spacer ,jba headers with flomaster.17"tires Volant cold air induction
    :Dappreciate everyone's help and will let you know how it turns ut

14. Jun 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    I would like to see a dyno at 1500 and 2000 RPM... Yes I understand there are minimial to no gains there but since most of us never go to 5000 RPM. Just curious.

I didn't see the image because of work filters but the link I clicked was to a dyno for Tundra.

15. Jun 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    tank3105

tank3105 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    13 baja T/X edition supercharged
    Supercharged.
    Stock N/A = nah. Add a blower and yes big difference.

16. Jun 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    gray223

gray223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Pretty sure people have seen gains with urd tcai or the afe and with urd's maf cal. Its small and its so far up in the rpm range it is useless unless your racing or for some wierd reason running at 4500 rpm. There may be some gain in the lower ranges but its very small.

Products Discussed in

To Top