1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATO or All Pro Rear Plate Bumper?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by iJDub, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Feb 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    iJDub

iJDub [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I like that the ATO one's trailer is class 3 rated like the stock hitch.

Looks good and nicely built.

But I like that the All Pro is lighter and I think it looks better.

Either way I wish they'd sick out more to use as a step coming on and off bed.

Need some feedback to help make my decision.

2. Feb 11, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    DaVikes

DaVikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Colorado Sports Car
    Arb front bumper, warn winch, All Pro rear bumper, OME up front, OME and All Pro Standard in Back, ARB locker, 34 x 10.5 KO2's, 17" Level 8 Trackers, and fancy single piece driveshaft.
    I have the All Pro. I like the looks of it, but it has one design problem that was a pain in the neck. When the bumper is stock, there is very little room to get the receiver pin installed, as the whole hitch is recessed behind the bumper. The hole that the pin goes through actually sits behind the bumper. The safety chain mounting points partially block access to the pin location, leaving only a few inches to get your hand through to get the pin in, while lying on your back. I had a shop modify the safety chain mounts and move them outboard a bit, which makes it easier to get the pin in. But I still have to lie on my back to do it. Something to think about if you use the hitch a lot.

3. Feb 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    iJDub

Member:
    What about the strength of it. Does it look like it'll be able to tow as much as stock safely

4. Feb 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    iJDub

Member:
    Bump for more feedback.

5. Feb 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    I have the ATO and have the same problem with the receiver pin. Get a Pelfreybilt bumper.

6. Feb 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
  7. Feb 14, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    iJDub

Member:
    I think that problem is only for their hidden hitch. The built in one lower shouldn't have a problem right?

8. Feb 14, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    DaVikes

DaVikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Colorado Sports Car
    Arb front bumper, warn winch, All Pro rear bumper, OME up front, OME and All Pro Standard in Back, ARB locker, 34 x 10.5 KO2's, 17" Level 8 Trackers, and fancy single piece driveshaft.
    For the all pro, the pin problem is for their hidden hitch. The stock hitch wouldn't have the problem. As far as strength, the bumper itself doesn't actually tow anything. The hitch hidden behind it looks like a regular frame mounted hitch, and provides all the towing support.

9. Feb 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM
    Pdugan6

Pdugan6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Sunnyvale California
    Vehicle:
    3 link solid axle 2011 Tacoma 4x4
    I went with the ATO high clearance and I love it. The receiver pin is a little hard to get to but it really isn't an issue unless you are pulling off a hitch every day. The fit and finish of the bumper is great.
    yvepeben_4e24bd8a3ee85c7a23a5ed8922aeeed09d72348a.jpg

10. Feb 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I have the AP one. I've towed my travel trailer (approx 3000 lbs wet) with no problems. The main reason why I got it was because of the tow capabilities. I got it a while back though, so I don't know how it compares with some of the new vendors (pelfrey, brutforce, CBI, etc). But the way it's built, I have no doubt that it can tow the 6500 limit, if not more.

The pin and safety chain issue that people talk about is honestly not that big of a problem. Get a Class V pin which is longer and it'll make a world of a difference when putting it together. Bought mine from etrailer.com with a keyed-alike pin for the trailer hitch

edit: here's the pin I have http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/DeadBolt/RH5-XL.html

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  11. Feb 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    iJDub

Member:
    I'm 50/50 on this but I think since I have an All Pro front, I might as well match it with an All Pro rear.

Products Discussed in

To Top