1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Onboard Viair compressor and tank

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DenisSeattle, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Feb 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    DenisSeattle

DenisSeattle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I had a portable Viair compressor that I bolted to the right front fender under the hood and clamped to the battery terminals. I wanted to add the convenience of having the air hose in the rear, where I air up my AirLift suspension helpers. For that I needed an onboard air tank and pressure switch. Here are some photos of the project.

I wanted to keep it simple. Viair makes all the pieces necessary to convert the portable compressor to an onboard unit, including a 1/2 gallon pressure tank, pressure switch, T connectors, check valve and pop-off valve. I added a 12V on-off rocker switch, some barbed brass fittings and rubber air line.

The tank is mounted underneath, bolted through the bed, near the right rear tire. I used oem rubber mounts but substituted stainless steel metric bolts. The 1/4" plastic line and relay wiring run from the compressor back to the tank, zip-tied to various frame parts en route.

In these photos you're looking up from the ground and slightly forward from about the rear bumper. You see the tank and leaf spring. The black background is the underside of the bed. The toolbox (mentioned below) is black with some white markings on it. The tire you see is the spare; the exhaust pipe is visible at bottom.

[​IMG]

The close-up shows the rubber air line I used for the shorter distances, hose-clamped over the barbed fitting, and encased in heat shrink to prevent the hose clamp from rusting off (our mountain roads have salt in winter).

[​IMG]

From the tank I ran rubber line up into the right rear toolbox, only about a foot away. You can see the red hose leading to it. (I had earlier installed the filler lines for my AirLift air bags in the same toolbox.) I mounted a female quick-disconnect through the back of the box with a 90 degree brass fitting between the box and the truck sidewall. I can keep an 8" air hose in this box, along with an air pressure gauge. The green master switch turns the compressor on/off, but the pressure switch (up front) determines when the compressor runs.

[​IMG]

Notes: 2011 TRD short bed. The first photo was taken before I added the pop-off valve. The pop-off valve rating must be greater than or equal to the pressure switch rating (150 psi). The red coating on Viair's brass fittings did not seal them well enough; to prevent air leaks use Teflon tape or liquid pipe sealant.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Slashaar likes this.
  2. Feb 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    little812

little812 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Valdosta
    x2 and interested in doing the same thing.

3. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    spieler

spieler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jonesborough, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 white DCSB SR5 4x4
    3" Lift kit/265 Duratracs/SCS Stealth 6 matte black wheels, OEM White grille switcheroo, TRD skid derped white, CSjumper drtl map dome parking lights fog light bulbs, Lifetime LED headlights, **Reverse light mod, Foglight anytime Mod, Trimmed mudflaps, Fully Debadged, 3rd brake light cover by well...me, Liquid Innovations black carbon dipped front emblem, G-Tek Fab diamond plate white door sill protectors, SOS Bolt-on Sliders bedlined, MattGecko rear window security bar, Hardwired Radar Detector w/custom sucker mount, Horse Stall Bed Mat, Audiocontrol LC2i with custom mount ACR-1 remote, Custom sub box behind drivers rear seat, Mag light holder behind seat, Center console organizer , Passenger seatbelt flapper fix, Tailgate anti-theft Mod, Bed storage Locks Mod, hygieneboy ghetto gutter grille guard
    effing PIMP!

4. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  5. Feb 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
  6. Feb 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    DenisSeattle