1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help identifying aftermarket mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ethen770, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Feb 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM
    ethen770

ethen770 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2006, Access Cab, 4WD, V6, 6 Speed Manual
    not sure thats why im subscribing wheels, tires, exhaust.
    Hello everyone, im new to the Tacoma world. got my truck last saturday and have spent the last week trying to make everything on it work the way I want it to.

My keyless entry doesnt honk/chirp when I lock/unlock the truck. I took it to the dealership and they said some aftermarket wiring is in the junction box and that is what is causing the lack of chirp. I have turned the internet upside down trying to figure it out, and i cant. so I have come to you.

I have the stock alarm/keyless entry system. with the little truck with a key in it that blinks on the center dash. not the VIP3200(?) system. i attached pictures of the patch job the previous owner did.

all of the plugins look like they are just crimped into the wire and can be taken out except for one that is cut and spliced into. BUT, that wire runs into the extra harness and then has a plug at the end and is just looped back to itself and looks like its still a solid wire and doesnt go anywhere.

I bought it from a dealership so I cant contact the previous owner to ask. I attached a link to a bunch of pictures I took of the mess. there is a little lack box, two fuses, and a sketchy switch.

any info would be awesome! I would be ok with taking it out as long as i dont need it. sorry for the bad explanation, hopefully the pictures will help!

link to pictures:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uxxfz2jb89c3bn4/unS768noa-

2. Feb 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    It looks like an aftermarket alarm or possibly remote start (doesn't look like enough wires for a remote start). You probably just didn't get the fobs with the truck.

Is there anything on the other side of the black box or board? Like a brand name? Could you get some better pics of the box on both sides?

Is there a siren under the hood anywhere?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  3. Feb 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    ethen770

ethen770 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    I added a picture of the top of the box. there is a little screw with "max.....min" the other side is a couple numbers. the little circuit board you see is the insides of the black box.

I got two toyota key fobs with the truck re programmed both and they both lock and unlock the truck just no beep.

as for the siren, i havnet looked extensively, i will check in a minute and let you know if i find anything interesting.

(a remote start would be awesome :rolleyes: )

4. Feb 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM
    ethen770

ethen770 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    no siren or anything that I could find. As far as I can tell, all the wiring is within that little area. and the little black box controls or bypasses what ever it is connected to right in that area.

No evidence of any aftermarket electronics on any other part of the truck.

5. Feb 21, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    My best guess is that the wire that is cut is the starter wire and the alarm has a starter cutoff. It probably had another fob just for the alarm. You could post this over in the audio section and probly get more info. I would just pull it all out and reconnect the wire that was cut.
    I used to be an audio visual tech, but I am not all that familiar with the tacoma specifically. Someone over in the other forum probably knows what each one of those wires is and does.

6. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    It looks like the PO quickly yanked the aftermarket alarm out before he sold or traded it in, hence no siren and no module. The alarm connectors are still intact and the little module with the adjuster screw looks to be a shock sensor.

Products Discussed in

To Top