1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Brake Pad BREAK IN PROCEDURE???? PTR09-89111

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyleTRDtaco12, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    :confused: So i just picked up some new OEM Toyota Brake Rotors and some new TRD Brake Pads because my passenger side front rotor is out of round and when it heats up after driving around town for any slightly prolonged length of the time the truck begins to shake a bit (not abs kicking in, trust me lol, it will do it on any flat, dry surface with the slightest amount of braking effort lol :p) so anyway i figured it was a good a time as any to do this final upgrade i've been eying up which are the TRD brake pads I've mentioned earlier.. also got them for a steal because my GF's father is an auto mechanic by trade and has an account with the local Toyota dealer... when i got the pads home, like any enthusiast i opened he brake pad box up and there is a printout in there explaining an EXTREMELY tedious break in procedure for the TRD front pads... in one procedure (recommended) they want you to find an open area and accelerate to 60 MPH then with "medium" braking effort, brake to 5-10 MPH then accelerate again and do this 10 times in a ROW?! WTF?! there is like nowhere in my town to do something like that so they Provide an alternate break-in procedure which would work but theres one slight detail that they are completely forgetting and i'll get to that in a min.... they want you to basically gingerly use the brakes for the first 200 miles approx. which is all well and good but they say (hears the catch) you can NOT leave your foot on the brake or else the pad will imprint on the rotor causing vibration and wobble down the road because the are made out of some Kevlar/Ceramic material.... so WTF am i supposed to do on a hill that has a traffic light?? or traffic lights in general?? i know i have a manual transmission that will make that slightly easier but what about everyone that has an automatic transmission?? what are they supposed to do... to me, this break-in procedure sounds really idiotic, does anyone else have these TRD brake pads and is willing to shed some light on this?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Thank you!

2. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    I just drove my truck (TRD OR) easy for the first few thousand miles when it was new (5 miles) to brake them in. Mine are still smooth as butter around 15k miles later.

You're probably just over thinking it or worrying to much, just put the pads on and take it easy for a while. You can still come to a stop at a light and aren't going to mess them up.

3. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers

alright, and you have the TRD High Performance Pads on your truck?

4. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    ill just bump this.

5. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    IMO--just go easy during the break in period--do not RACE to the RED light and SLAM on The brakes.
    Do not drive down the road with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake.
    I believe those instructions are trying to tell you to use the brakes "easily" and not to give them excessive HEAT.
    "Pumping" the brake helps lessen the heat.
    Have seen cars SMOKING due to excessive braking down long mountain roads. All they needed to do-USE LOWER GEAR!
    Are we helping???

08tacobear likes this.
  6. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Good question. I thought all TRD models came with the TRD high performance brakes?

My dealer told me that being a TRD model they have slightly larger rotors and brakes from the factory. I could definitely tell a significant braking difference when I test drove a TRD vs non TRD truck. Anyone know what kind of pads come factory on a new TRD OR model?

7. Feb 20, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    Yeah do what you read. Go to a business park in the middle of the night get it up to 60 and slam on the brakes to 5mph, without stopping. Slowly Drive around for 30seconds without using the brakes to let them cool off a little and do it at again. X10 . then take it easy on them a couple hundred miles. This is how you properly bed in brakes. You can do this again say in 15,000 to Rebed them.

Even if you change just the rotors or just the pads you want to do this to bed the new pad to the old rotor. Or vis versa.

Sure you can just drive it. And most people do. But your brakes will last longer, work better. And NEVEr warp n shit that most people complain about.

Don't forget to bleed your fluid.

adanfon likes this.
  8. Feb 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    You do want to heat them up and smoke off that protective paint they put on brand new rotors. To bed them

Op you will smell some funky shit doing this at first. That's normal. It's what you want. Just don't come to a complete stop when your doing it, and don't use your e-brake that night after you just do that. You'll create a hot spot.

9. Feb 21, 2014 at 4:57 AM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    brake pads/rotors have a wear in period... just no deep braking or sharp jabs at the pedal for a while. no big deal.

i think its more for total stopping distance, i have to do this on my bikes as well.. and i thought about it.. if i put a fresh brake pad on an unevenly worn rotor.. i dont get 100% surface to surface contact and therefor i dont get 100% braking ability. so it could be hazardous to my health to jam on the brakes. in addition.. uneven surfaces can create hot spots.. warping and then creating even more uneven surfaces leading back to not having 100% braking power and your safety.

engineers like to do things in a pretty specific manner, sometimes for no reason other than they think its a good idea. id take that break in instruction sheet as more of a guideline really ;)

EDIT: i guess thats called bedding the brakes! the more you know....

10. Feb 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    alright cool, sounds good, and thanks for the responses everyone. i mean im not a excessive braker or anything, i always take it easy when i drive and brake. ill try going to a business park to do that at night, i think i know of a spot. but idk iiif i caaan reach 60 mph.. so just get close to 60 i guess?? thanks.

11. Feb 21, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    im pretty sure that all 4x4 and prerunner tacomas have all the same brakes from the factory unless you specifically order the truck with the TRD pads or the big brake kit lol

Products Discussed in

To Top