Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'13 V6, 4500 miles and my motor may be shot!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #261
MARANATHA !!!
TheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheGrayRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod53 View Post
UPDATE: I had hoped that it wouldn't come to this.....

I just found out that the short block was installed and it makes the same noise! I am going to the dealership tomorrow to discuss the situation, I already told them that I'm lemoning it and I have already called Toyota and started a case.

Apparently the noise isn't as loud and is a little different now, but never the less, it's still there I'm going to hear it myself tomorrow while it's still cold. All in all, the more that I thought about this situation, this is probably the best outcome yet I'm not looking forward to the hassle that is sure to follow.
I was afraid of that ... Sorry hotrod
Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #262
MidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MidnightRebel07's Tacoma Gallery
Hotrod, definitely keep us updated on the "Lemon case", mine hasn't duplicated the sound again yet. It did it a couple times before over this winter but I never got a chance to record it with my phone because I had my two year old with me.

I was out at lunch today and ran into a Toyota tech at lunch. I asked him if they had any other Tacoma's at the dealership with weird noises (described the noise our trucks have been making), he said they've had a couple come in with something similar but they ended up all being power steering pumps freezing.

On a side note my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.0l V6 has been doing the same sound for the last two weeks at start up until it warms up and I know for fact that the timing chain tensioners are worn out and partially broken and the power steering has been freezing up on it as well.

It's hard to tell what it could be but I still lean towards some kind of oil pump/ getting enough oil to rotating parts/ timing parts fast enough. Although the whole power steering problem idea kinda makes sense as part of it.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #263
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRAWFORD View Post
Yeah that can't be good, fixed under warranty?
LOL... Screw Toyota. They are worthless the majority of the time and I could of possibly caused it myself anyway. I took it in once when I set up an appointment with the service manager when he had his best engine guy in and those two douchebags had about 11 points of IQ between them both. Tried telling me it would cost over 1k to even take the head off of it so I got in my truck and said FU. New engines go for just over 1,200 if your lucky like I was when I was looking.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #264
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRAWFORD View Post
Yeah that can't be good, fixed under warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
LOL... Screw Toyota. They are worthless the majority of the time and I could of possibly caused it myself anyway. I took it in once when I set up an appointment with the service manager when he had his best engine guy in and those two douchebags had about 11 points of IQ between them both. Tried telling me it would cost over 1k to even take the head off of it so I got in my truck and said FU. New engines go for just over 1,200 if your lucky like I was when I was looking.
Colour me surprised. That was rather restrained for you.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #265
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
If I was having all these problems, changing oil and filters and what's going on with these dealers I'd sure as hell get a free test kit and send some oil from my engine to Blackstone Labs and have it checked for damage. It's the best $25 you'll ever spend.
I have one done every time I change the oil in my Subaru. I will probably do my first one with the Tacoma at my 20K change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod53

I just found out that the short block was installed and it makes the same noise! I am going to the dealership tomorrow to discuss the situation, I already told them that I'm lemoning it and I have already called Toyota and started a case.

Apparently the noise isn't as loud and is a little different now, but never the less, it's still there I'm going to hear it myself tomorrow while it's still cold. All in all, the more that I thought about this situation, this is probably the best outcome yet I'm not looking forward to the hassle that is sure to follow.
Did they replace the timing components/accessories or reuse what you had on the truck. I'm just wondering if it's something that was on your existing motor and they re-used it.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #266
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post

Colour me surprised. That was rather restrained for you.
My trucks only had the dealer touch it twice in 6 years. Once for TSB springs they screwed me on and never did alignment and the other time was trying to get a starter replaced under warranty when my truck was literally dripping with mud.

The only good experience I had at a dealer was when I lost my lugnut key and the salesman who sold me the truck overrode the service manager who wanted to charge me $60 to borrow a techs key so I could unlock them in their parking lot. Even after that I was pissed they tried to make money off me.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #267
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did they replace the timing components/accessories or reuse what you had on the truck. I'm just wondering if it's something that was on your existing motor and they re-used it.
The timing chain idler gear and bearing, sliders and adjusters, serpentine belt pulleys, and oil pump were already new and probably not part of a short block. Most likely reused.

The noise presents in the lower left side of the block, I thought sure that the short block would have fixed it.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #268
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The timing chain idler gear and bearing, sliders and adjusters, serpentine belt pulleys, and oil pump were already new and probably not part of a short block. Most likely reused.

The noise presents in the lower right side of the block, I thought sure that the short block would have fixed it.
That's what I'm wondering...if it's something in your existing setup that might be causing the issue.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #269
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The noise presents in the lower right side of the block, I thought sure that the short block would have fixed it.
I am still leaning towards timing chain making noise. Secondary question is why. It could be failed tensioners, it could be stretched. I would think tech working on the truck had checked it but I guess not.
If chain is stretched that would mean it's not getting enough oil. Maybe clogged jet.
Either way. It's lemon or they need to give you new engine
Old 03-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #270
MidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMidnightRebel07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MidnightRebel07's Tacoma Gallery
They did give him a new engine (short block), when they should've installed a completely new engine with everything on it from the factory. You pay for a complete engine when you buy it new so you should get a complete new one if it craps out this fast, JMO.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #271
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is a terrible situation, but like you said probably the best outcome. I wouldn't want a rebuilt motor in a brand new truck.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #272
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I'm beyond the new engine satisfying me at this point. 3 trips in the shop, 33 days out of service since mid January, and now I own a $34,000 truck that has been apart more than an erector set. My Carfax has to be a disaster at this point and it can't help but affect the value if I were to sell it. I just know that all of the work that has been done will be detrimental to me somehow later in my truck's life.

I wanted a crate engine but they forced me into a short block, I didn't like it, but it was my last ditch effort. I lost the use of my new vehicle all winter, through 3 Pittsburgh snow storms. I have made at least 6 round trips to the dealership, 44 miles round trip, I've taken time from work. I was stuck in peoples driveways twice this year. I had to get a ride home because my loaner Corolla would go in the snow when my brand new 4X4 sat in a nice warm dealers garage. I was unable to go to our camp all winter because it's back in the woods and I wouldn't even take a Corolla there in the summertime. Spring is on it's way and it will be boat towing time, I will need to deliver a couch and loveseat to my son's house in a few weeks, I need a truck, that's why I bought one!

I've been patient until it was time not to be patient, I think that time is now, that's why I opened a lemon case yesterday. As I have said all along, my dealer has been great, he can't do something unless Toyota authorizes it. I'll have to go to the next level but I'm not taking any prisoners, my dealer has continued to do his best.... that's why I bought 3 out of 4 Toyotas from him. If Toyota doesn't screw me, that's where my 5th one will come from.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #273
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

same location as my gremlin

Quote:
I'm beyond the new engine satisfying me at this point. 3 trips in the shop, 33 days out of service since mid January, and now I own a $34,000 truck that has been apart more than an erector set. My Carfax has to be a disaster at this point and it can't help but affect the value if I were to sell it. I just know that all of the work that has been done will be detrimental to me somehow later in my truck's life.

I wanted a crate engine but they forced me into a short block, I didn't like it, but it was my last ditch effort. I lost the use of my new vehicle all winter, through 3 Pittsburgh snow storms. I have made at least 6 round trips to the dealership, 44 miles round trip, I've taken time from work. I was stuck in peoples driveways twice this year. I had to get a ride home because my loaner Corolla would go in the snow when my brand new 4X4 sat in a nice warm dealers garage. I was unable to go to our camp all winter because it's back in the woods and I wouldn't even take a Corolla there in the summertime. Spring is on it's way and it will be boat towing time, I will need to deliver a couch and loveseat to my son's house in a few weeks, I need a truck, that's why I bought one!

I've been patient until it was time not to be patient, I think that time is now, that's why I opened a lemon case yesterday. As I have said all along, my dealer has been great, he can't do something unless Toyota authorizes it. I'll have to go to the next level but I'm not taking any prisoners, my dealer has continued to do his best.... that's why I bought 3 out of 4 Toyotas from him. If Toyota doesn't screw me, that's where my 5th one will come from.
You're taking this pretty good.

One thing you need to do is get a comparable rental. You need to put your foot down about that. Giving you a POS Corolla while working on your 35k truck is not sufficient. You need to tell the dealer you are a contractor and need a 4x4 truck to get to jobsites and such.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #274
I've already been offered a somewhat comparable rental.... after about day 25, I drove to get it and Hertz where they rented if from, they closed at noon on a Saturday and I couldn't get it! I had to drive the 44 mile trip for nothing! The dealer didn't even know they closed at noon!

I am a contractor and I use the truck for work and person use. I have been hesitant to this point to ask since I was told that taking payments and such would not shine well on the lemon case. They did offer me 1 month payment so far, when I told them my concern I never heard about it again.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #275
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Damn this sucks....
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #276
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well your frustration is understandable.. Hopefully lemon process goes quick and easy.
Its obvious that whoever is working on your truck is not very good at it. They just tossing parts at it, with out actually trying to find root cause.. And root cause from what you posted never was in the block. There is nothing inside the block that would buzz. I would imagine any tech would be smart enough, to open FSm and check, what is at that location.
Problem is (and that's not limited to auto industry) that people with skills are very hard to find, and at the same time, an amount of people relying on those with skills is constantly increasing. That dealer maybe great to purchase cars but you are probably better of servicing your next truck somewhere else.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #277
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Its obvious that whoever is working on your truck is not very good at it. They just tossing parts at it, with out actually trying to find root cause.. And root cause from what you posted never was in the block. There is nothing inside the block that would buzz.
Hotrod53- I hate to say it but I was sort of thinking the same thing, considering they tried replacing pulleys before figuring out if it was the engine-
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #278
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tony2018's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Hotrod53- I hate to say it but I was sort of thinking the same thing, considering they tried replacing pulleys before figuring out if it was the engine-
New engine, can't blame the techs for not getting there training in on these motors, dealership probably didn't want to expense it. The dealership can expense it and write it off.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #279
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2018 View Post
New engine, can't blame the techs for not getting there training in on these motors, dealership probably didn't want to expense it. The dealership can expense it and write it off.
wut
Old 03-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #280
Incomparable, like...
Yakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Randy
Yakoma's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with your truck, man. Sorry to hear about such massive problems on so new a vehicle. That sucks balls.

If it's any consolation (probably not), my next-door neighbor drove home a brand-new Ford F150 a couple of weeks ago and his wouldn't go into reverse (35 miles on the odometer). They came and got it and replaced his transmission. Don't know if he got the extended warranty, but I hope so. That's what I would expect at a minimum.