Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'13 V6, 4500 miles and my motor may be shot!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #21
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
in my talks with my dealer, we are thinking that Toyota is reluctant at this point because I have a running engine with no issues other than a noise. If it were showing some other symptoms it may be a stronger case.

This visit will be visit #3 for the same issue and the last punch required for a lemon, after this the pressure starts to ramp up. I'm fortunate that I have local dealer support so far.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #22
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Lemon laws work. Ive used them on 2 occasions and almost used one on a 3rd -- dealers dont like to have to deal with them so they will be inclined to do what is possible to make it happen.

Keep in mind that once you get the ball rolling on a lemon law all bets are off of getting additional help above and beyond what they need to do to help. Also, Lemon laws vary from state to state. Try to work with them and be as understanding as possible but hold your ground. Yes you need a new engine and they need to swap everything over to your new truck all at their cost and they should pay for one month payment. However, Remember these are people at the other end and no one like to be pushes around with a treat of a lemon law case in their face. The factory reps have a lot of lee-way (at least the ones ive delt with) and they can do a lot to make your experience more pleasant or less pleasant.

Everything ive just said is totally obvious but Iv seen people, including my self, forget those facts. At the worst a rebuilt engine is not that bad. Have them give you a $100K warranty on the whole truck bumper to bumper. However, they should be able to get you into a new truck. Decide whats more important for you.

Yeah it sucks and you should not have to deal with this on a new truck but shit happens.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #23
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck-
DOES IT MAKE THE NOISE YOU RECORDED ALL THE TIME?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #24
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your troubles OP, but at least you have the dealer working with you.
My brother-in-law used the lemon law to get a new truck. It was a little bit of a struggle, but he ended up with a new truck, and no increase in payments or extended payment period, i.e. the payments that you have already made should go towards the new truck. Or otherwise stated, keep the same financing contract, just get a replacement vehicle.

That's if they don't want to give you a new engine.

Attitude is most important. If you treat them with respect and try to stay calm, even though it is tough at some times, you will get a lot further than having a bad attitude.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
2003c5ae is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: retired leo
Name: Dennis
2003c5ae's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod53 View Post
in my talks with my dealer, we are thinking that Toyota is reluctant at this point because I have a running engine with no issues other than a noise. If it were showing some other symptoms it may be a stronger case.

This visit will be visit #3 for the same issue and the last punch required for a lemon, after this the pressure starts to ramp up. I'm fortunate that I have local dealer support so far.
I would contact a lemon law attorney to get the feel of the land of what to expect. I understand mods to be transfered are a pia and there is a chance of some additional costs with a mileage use fee and possible new truck increase. Dealer support should be expected but will only last as long as Toyota pays on warranty. Make them aware internal repairs are not what is best for you in long run. I would look to lemon law first second a new motor . JMO but your plan to have for 175 fairly trouble free miles is not likely with internal repairs imo with the last 75 k on you if they give you a 100k warranty. Good Luck
Old 02-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #26
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
I would think they would send out an oil sample to have it analyzed. That would tell them if there was any damage and what might be the cause before the disassemble the engine.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #27
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
I would think they would send out an oil sample to have it analyzed. That would tell them if there was any damage and what might be the cause before the disassemble the engine.
Agreed. I'd be much more concerned about the findings of a UOA than the display capabilities of a rear view mirror.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #28
1usedtacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Dandoy
1usedtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It's an ENGINE CHANGE OUT just listening to the sound of it! If that sound was coming from a 8 year old truck I understand but from a 2013...! No Way...!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #29
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrayRider View Post
No need to take the engine apart when they have borescopes to look around the inside without removing the engine.

I would use a clean drain pan and drain the engine oil and cut the filter open and look for metal in the oil... If the dealership techs haven't already

Sounds like they don't have a clue what the problem is and meanwhile you are driving the truck around possibly causing more damage ? Doesn't sound right to me

Even the best borescopes at the dealership can't see everything. You can look at a bearing, crank journal, or camshaft journal.

Quote:

Remember, and check for sure the ruling. Most all lemon laws require that they make an actual REPAIR ATTEMPT for the 3rd time, not an inspection. If they have not replaced a specific component in the engine 3 times, then in MOST (but not all) cases, you will not have the lemon law apply yet. Again, this isn't EVERY case, but the normal.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #30
frizzman is on a distinguished road

frizzman's Tacoma Gallery
hotrod, which dealership are you working with? I've had a few OK and one or two not so OK experiences with some Toyota dealerships around PGH. I bought my truck from an Indiana PA dealership due to having the best price.

back on topic it seems like something metal hitting metal at some point from that sound. worse than a bad valve and deeper sounding.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #31
Taco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Salad Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Nuke Submariner
Taco Salad Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear that man. I am hearing more and more things about the newer 2nd gen taco's.
I haven't had any problems with my 2012. It has been nothing but perfect (I catch myself breathing heavy when I drive it's so quiet inside!).

I wonder if the trucks with issues like knocking, outside noise, or your problems are coming from the same factory....
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #32
DaVikes is on a distinguished road
Name: Ross
DaVikes's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I listened to your recording, and the buzzing noise reminds me of a bearing failure on a fan motor that I heard once upon time. That makes me think, just from the sound, that the noise might be coming from one of the accessories - AC, alternator, perhaps a chain or belt tensioner (and I'm not sure if the Tacoma has any or what kind). Has the dealer actually determined that the noise comes from the engine block and not one of the accy's? Have they taken a stethoscope and tried to identify the location of the noise that way?

It's definitely not something you should have to put up with in a new truck. Good luck with the dealer & Toyota.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #33
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery
Bump-- hey OP, does the truck make that noise all the time, or does it go away after warm-up?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #34
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #35
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is the noise I have, sorry no video to look at.

http://s154.photobucket.com/user/hot...655bc.mp4.html
Stupid question but did somebody check those heat shields Toyota put all over truck. That noise sounds like heat shield lose and resonating. Nothing like engine noise. Its literately sounding like something lose just vibrating.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #36
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Update 2/29/14... Dealer has the motor apart checking seals per direction of Toyota, they find nothing wrong with them. Toyota Engineers were notified today and asked what's next?

We're expecting 12" of snow on Sunday, this is the 4th significant snow storm this year that occurred when my truck was in the shop! My dealer offered to give me a 4x4 tomorrow to replace this Corolla.

I can't wait to get rid of this Corolla! I have a heck of a time buckling the seatbelt because of its location, its too low down beside the seat, my feet freeze in this thing, I keep hitting the friggin source button by accident on the steering wheel radio controls, and I know this sounds like an exaggeration but I swear to you this is true... I knocked a vertebrae out of place getting into the car and I have smacked my head 3 times on the door opening, the roofline is too low. Fortunately I woke the other morning and my neck went POP.... it went back in on its own.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #37
Davikes.... The dealer removed the accessory drive and ran the truck, they used a stethoscope and determined that it is best heard from the drivers side front lower part of the block radiating form inside.

Happy.... this noise is most common in cold temperatures and quits after the truck warms up.

Frizzman.... Bob Massie Toyota in Irwin. As stated before, always had a great experience and no complaints about them. I Have been dealing with them for 7+ years and 3 Toyotas.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #38
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like they're narrowing it down. Hopefully (sometime soon) they decide enough is enough and drop a new engine in it. I don't think the lemon law route is going to work, hopefully I'm wrong.
Good luck!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #39

happy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Happy.... this noise is most common in cold temperatures and quits after the truck warms up.
Thanks- yeah, I have a very similar noise, though not quite as bad as parts of the recording. I'm dropping mine off at the dealership this afternoon to be looked into. I'm at 2,200 miles--did your noise get worse over time?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #40
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Remember, and check for sure the ruling. Most all lemon laws require that they make an actual REPAIR ATTEMPT for the 3rd time, not an inspection. If they have not replaced a specific component in the engine 3 times, then in MOST (but not all) cases, you will not have the lemon law apply yet. Again, this isn't EVERY case, but the normal.

^This^

I had this truck replaced with the lemon law.

It had the suspension replaced front to back 3 times. At the time I towed a lot of things (27' travel trailer, 16' utility trailer, boat, ATV's, etc...) and I never felt comfortable with towing anything with it. Going over even small bumps it literary felt as if the suspension was coming out from underneath it. After the third time I had had enough. I loved the truck but I didn't trust it. I ended up going through arbitration and GM bought it back.

I hope you don't have to go through all that trouble with such a new truck. I know how frustrating it can be to by something and it not be the way you want it to be. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.