Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'13 V6, 4500 miles and my motor may be shot!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #41
kegman is on a distinguished road
Name: Ron
kegman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod53 View Post
Davikes.... The dealer removed the accessory drive and ran the truck, they used a stethoscope and determined that it is best heard from the drivers side front lower part of the block radiating form inside.

Happy.... this noise is most common in cold temperatures and quits after the truck warms up.

Frizzman.... Bob Massie Toyota in Irwin. As stated before, always had a great experience and no complaints about them. I Have been dealing with them for 7+ years and 3 Toyotas.
I mentioned in another reply either here or the other Tacoma forum that if the noise goes away when engine is warmed up then it is piston slap.i have no doubt that's what it is and is completely unacceptable in a new truck. If these guys cant figure that one out god help us all. Ask me how I know?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #42
TCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant future
TCRAWFORD's Tacoma Gallery
My 14' makes a very similar sound when warming up, at least it sounds like that to me. I haven't had a chance to listen to another 14' starting up so I have nothing to compare it to.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #43
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your issues, man. I hope they get things worked out for you.

Just as a point of reference... when I bought my truck last month, the very next day the check engine and trac off lights came on and the truck showed that it was in D and 2L at the same time. They cleared the code, gave me my truck back and as soon as I got home, the lights came back on.

They had my truck for 5 days and ended up replacing the whole ECM and that fixed it. For that small amount of trouble, Toyota corporate gave me an 8 year 100,000 mile comprehensive warranty. I'd accept nothing less than that if they end up replacing your motor.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #44
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
Well, another day passes without much change..... day 5 of visit #3. I talked to my dealer today who told me that his area rep was in "Boot Camp" this week making communications slow and difficult. Having been in a few Corporate Boot Camps myself..... basically corporate mental indoctrination... I hope they talked about customer service!

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow who is going to take the Corolla off of my hands.... good riddens... and driving me to a place where Toyota is renting me a 4x4. We are expecting 12" of snow this weekend and my $34,000 Toyota is in the shop again.... it's the least they can do IMO!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #46
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery
I hope they come through for you! If I can figure it out, I'll post a video of the sound mine makes & report back with what my dealership says.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #47
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegman View Post
I mentioned in another reply either here or the other Tacoma forum that if the noise goes away when engine is warmed up then it is piston slap.i have no doubt that's what it is and is completely unacceptable in a new truck. If these guys cant figure that one out god help us all. Ask me how I know?

How do you know
?

Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #48
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, another day passes without much change..... day 5 of visit #3. I talked to my dealer today who told me that his area rep was in "Boot Camp" this week making communications slow and difficult. Having been in a few Corporate Boot Camps myself..... basically corporate mental indoctrination... I hope they talked about customer service!

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow who is going to take the Corolla off of my hands.... good riddens... and driving me to a place where Toyota is renting me a 4x4. We are expecting 12" of snow this weekend and my $34,000 Toyota is in the shop again.... it's the least they can do IMO!
I know in CA, regardless of how many visits, if they have your car for 30 days cumulative in the first 18 months or 18,000 miles... LEMON. In some states it is 3 visits for the same issue... in CA it's 4. Fuckers.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #49
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery
OP--Like I said, my noise sounds almost exactly like yours. My dealer took 45 minutes this morning to determine that my noise is internal engine as well. He pulled the belt and it was still making the noise. He's getting the factory involved on Monday. I'll keep posting what happens for me.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #50
TugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
TugBoatTrash's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
OP--Like I said, my noise sounds almost exactly like yours. My dealer took 45 minutes this morning to determine that my noise is internal engine as well. He pulled the belt and it was still making the noise. He's getting the factory involved on Monday. I'll keep posting what happens for me.
Haven't been home in a while. But when i do get home I'm gonna give mine a good listen. You guys have got me nervous.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #51
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
I would talk to the dealership about trading the truck in for a new 2013 or 2014. If you have a good relationship with the dealership, they might work with you.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #52
kegman is on a distinguished road
Name: Ron
kegman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
How do you know?

MY wife has a Subaru that makes the same noise that Hotrod has included in one of his posts. The noise goes away completely when the engine gets to operating temperature. MY next door neighbour is a mechanic ( 37 years )and that's the first thing he said when he heard my wifes car running ( he said that is piston slap). It is very common in Subaru engines but not exclusive to Subaru and happens with many other makes as well. I could be completely wrong in Hotrods case but in any event that noise is completely unacceptable in such a new vehicle.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #53
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tony2018's Tacoma Gallery
I second the Lemon route and get another truck and ask for extras, just see if they will budge on the extras though and not push it.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #54
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrayRider View Post
Piston slap ? This isn't an air cooled 2 stroke engine

The Maximum piston to cylinder clearance is .005 inch

Per this manual page 3325

http://maxim.int.ru/prado/1gr-fe/1GR...Mechanical.pdf

This has some excellent illustrations
Neither is a water cooled, 4 stroke Subaru engine, but it happens.

Thanks for the link. We can speculate, but Toyota is in a far better position than any of us to figure out what's wrong. They have access to the actual engine, after all. Looking forward to a good resolution for the OP.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #55
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Piston slap ? This isn't an air cooled 2 stroke engine

The Maximum piston to cylinder clearance is .005 inch

Per this manual page 3325

http://maxim.int.ru/prado/1gr-fe/1GR...Mechanical.pdf

This has some excellent illustrations

Does that mean our engines fall into the Zero Clearance category?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #56
Robby655 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air traffic controller
Name: Rob
Robby655's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Not here. Sorry to hear op . They have built over a million of these things so things and with those numbers you'll see issues here and there. We had a 4 cylinder 2008 camry that had 113k and it started to burn a lot of oil and the trans took a dump.
X2 my moms transmission gave out with only 55k on her 2010 Camry SE!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #57
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Did you read the link ?

That Subaru has over 105,000 miles on it ... It's not a brand new engine

Here is a quote from it
Piston slap is an unfortunate by-product of a manufacturer that picked the wrong piston rings for a particular motor.

The Toyota guys working his issue don't seem to know about piston slap

It's probably something to do with the Variable Valve Timing on these engines

I know my truck made some weird startup noises when it was 17 degrees down here ... now it just makes normal ticking Toyota noises
Yes, I read the article I linked.

I never said the OP's engine is (or isn't) experiencing piston slap. I believe it's safer to assume that people with their hands on the engine in question are in a better position to diagnose the issue than those with their hands on a keyboard. Do you disagree?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #58
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
Update 3/1.... all I can say is UN FRIGGIN BELIEVABLE!

I expressed my concern to my Service Manager last week as we expect 12" of snow tomorrow. This will be the 4th major snow storm this year and I have had my brand new 4WD for exactly ZERO of them! It's been in the shop EVERY FRIGGIN TIME... right where it sits today!

My Service Manager arranged for me to get a 4x4, I just had to pick it up on Saturday. I spoke to him Friday and told him that I had time in my schedule and I could come Friday, he said that it was reserved for Saturday. Not to make anything complicated, I said I'd come on Saturday.

Saturday I take my wife with me, we go to lunch, we drive the 22 miles one way to the dealership. I turn in my loaner and they get a lot attendant to drive us to another dealership down the road who has a Hertz rental agency..... now is where it gets interesting!

Hertz.... which in Swahili must mean A**HOLE, closes at 12 noon... no one told me that. I supposedly had a reservation, no one in the dealership could help me. I called Hertz's so called customer service, they said they were closed. Now my Irish temper begins to boil... after 20 minutes, I finally get a living breathing human, or at least some version of one. This guy's native language WAS NOT English... question after question, half of which I could not understand, many of the same asked over and over again. Super long story short, they had no record of me or my dealer making a reservation and no one can help me!

The lot attendant from my dealer drives us back to the dealer where I'm told all rental agencies are closed except the airport which is an hour away and they may not even have a 4x4. They had nothing on the lot that I could take, I ended up in the same Corolla that I hate and drive 22 miles back home! I was told that they could probably help me on Monday... which duh, is the day after the snow storm is supposed to hit. I told them that I will probably be stuck in my driveway having to take a day off of work, what makes them think that I'd be able to drive that Corolla to the dealership?

I think this changes things ladies and gentlemen..... It's about time to release the beast against Toyota and demand what I want. I have a great relationship with my Service Manager, but this time his staff fell on their face for him. Had I known that Hertz closed at 12, I'd have been there, even they didn't know that, they did try to arrange something else and couldn't, not their fault, I'm, looking over a lot full of 300 cars and I'm driving home in a go nowhere Corolla with a major snow storm coming and my brand new truck is sitting in their shop AGAIN, for the third time and for a total of about 20 days out of the last 2 months.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #59
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Update 3/1.... all I can say is UN FRIGGIN BELIEVABLE!

I expressed my concern to my Service Manager last week as we expect 12" of snow tomorrow. This will be the 4th major snow storm this year and I have had my brand new 4WD for exactly ZERO of them! It's been in the shop EVERY FRIGGIN TIME... right where it sits today!

My Service Manager arranged for me to get a 4x4, I just had to pick it up on Saturday. I spoke to him Friday and told him that I had time in my schedule and I could come Friday, he said that it was reserved for Saturday. Not to make anything complicated, I said I'd come on Saturday.

Saturday I take my wife with me, we go to lunch, we drive the 22 miles one way to the dealership. I turn in my loaner and they get a lot attendant to drive us to another dealership down the road who has a Hertz rental agency..... now is where it gets interesting!

Hertz.... which in Swahili must mean A**HOLE, closes at 12 noon... no one told me that. I supposedly had a reservation, no one in the dealership could help me. I called Hertz's so called customer service, they said they were closed. Now my Irish temper begins to boil... after 20 minutes, I finally get a living breathing human, or at least some version of one. This guy's native language WAS NOT English... question after question, half of which I could not understand, many of the same asked over and over again. Super long story short, they had no record of me or my dealer making a reservation and no one can help me!

The lot attendant from my dealer drives us back to the dealer where I'm told all rental agencies are closed except the airport which is an hour away and they may not even have a 4x4. They had nothing on the lot that I could take, I ended up in the same Corolla that I hate and drive 22 miles back home! I was told that they could probably help me on Monday... which duh, is the day after the snow storm is supposed to hit. I told them that I will probably be stuck in my driveway having to take a day off of work, what makes them think that I'd be able to drive that Corolla to the dealership?

I think this changes things ladies and gentlemen..... It's about time to release the beast against Toyota and demand what I want. I have a great relationship with my Service Manager, but this time his staff fell on their face for him. Had I known that Hertz closed at 12, I'd have been there, even they didn't know that, they did try to arrange something else and couldn't, not their fault, I'm, looking over a lot full of 300 cars and I'm driving home in a go nowhere Corolla with a major snow storm coming and my brand new truck is sitting in their shop AGAIN, for the third time and for a total of about 20 days out of the last 2 months.
The only thing that changed is that there was poor communication about when you needed to pick up a rental vehicle. From your own narrative, whether or not there was a vehicle reserved for you is in doubt. Do you really think the service manager would knowingly send you to the rental counter without having made the arrangements?

Toyota doesn't control the weather, or Hertz's hours of operation. While I agree that the rental car issue should be discussed with the Toyota service manager, I see no need to "release the beast" and make demands. Do what you want, but be prepared to find out exactly how difficult Toyota can make the rest of this process. For example, I doubt there's any legal requirement for the dealership to provide you with a 4WD vehicle.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #60
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
rant
Just reading that had me seething! Why the blazes would they have to go through Hertz and from that far away? My local dealership picks the loaners from the used lot. At least grab an 08 RAV4 or something else available to keep the customer happy! It's not like this is your first time there.

Gotta be getting awful close to lemon status there.