Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'13 V6, 4500 miles and my motor may be shot!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
'13 V6, 4500 miles and my motor may be shot!

For those of you not familiar with my "weird noise" post, I'll bring you up to speed.

Staring off with a weird noise when it was 20 degrees outside, Toyota changed an idler pulley thinking it was a bad bearing. Fast forward 2 weeks and it's back in the shop again sounding the same.

Toyota now believes that the noise is radiating from the inside of the engine and the issue is much more serious than originally thought. My truck is currently in the shop and Toyota recently authorized the front of the motor to be disassembled and inspected. Based on those findings, the oil pan is next. They were to send a factory rep to the shop today to see it for himself. It's looking more and more that my engine may need to be replaced, but no definite finding yet.

Issue aside, Toyota and my dealer have been working with me. I'm driving a 2014 Corolla and I'm patiently waiting to hear final findings. I drove my '06 V6 Tacoma for 175,000 miles, I hope to do the same with this one.

Results: not any better, noise is still there.

A NOT SO GOOD update: After having my truck back for 2 weeks and waiting for Toyota's "next move" I was notified today to bring my truck back in.

Toyota Engineers told my dealer to pull the engine apart again and check crank and cam seals, if that doesn't work, pull the engine, crank, and cam! I told my dealer that I will draw the line at pulling the motor and working on my crank and cam. At that point I'm either going to demand a crate engine or lemon the whole frigin' thing! I DO NOT want my motor pulled apart, They are leaning towards giving me a 100K warranty, but once disassembled even that in my mind does not cut it! They even have offered to refund 1 month truck payment since it has been in the shop for about 3 of 4 weeks in a month already.

I started reading the lemon laws tonight and I'm not afraid to exercise that right at this point, I have already emailed a local lemon attorney. My dealer has been straight up with me, he's not happy about being put in this position.... basically the factory has put him in the middle with a customer who has already bought 3 vehicles from his dealership.

I'm only at 5000 miles and I really don't want a '14. I already bought my cap, added my door sill protectors which I can't remove, and put my backup camera in the radio. I can always get another super white and swap the cap, bed mat, redoing the camera would suck, but most '14's don't have the temp in the mirror which I MUST have. Then there is the financial issue, don't know if it would cost me any money additional.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Coldfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant future
Coldfire's Tacoma Gallery
Damn good luck
Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
xbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Jim
xbxb's Tacoma Gallery
Oh Crap. I hate to hear things like this. I hope this works out for you.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
billinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
billinwoodland's Tacoma Gallery
What affect will this have on resell value?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
robm7 is on a distinguished road

robm7's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed please keep is posted. Sux this happened to you. I hope it works out well for you
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
MikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant future
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinwoodland View Post
What affect will this have on resell value?
Depends on the person purchasing the vehicle. If it's a trade, it's a non-issue, if it's a private sale, it's really up to the buyer.

Some people would be much more critical of it than others.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
usafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weather Journeyman
Name: Zach
usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
I would go the lemon route, and get a new truck.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Coldfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant futureColdfire has a brilliant future
Coldfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafwx View Post
I would go the lemon route, and get a new truck.
I agree
Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I will say I am glad that with the information you have, and have given, that you don't fault the dealership or their techs. I don't hear too many low mileage 4.0 engines having a major failure, so Toyota is probably wanting to get as much information as they possibly can get. On average the deciding factor is usually in the 70% range. If the cost of repair/rebuild is in excess of the cost of replacement, then the engine gets replaced. Hopefully this will be the factor. Yes, you have the lemon law to side back on, but you may have to wait until the cause of failure is located before you can exercise that. Unless things have changed the dealership has to actually attempt a repair 3 times before you are eligible. Taking the front of the engine apart and not replacing a failed component is considered an inspection, not a repair attempt.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon, and you will be back in your truck! Be sure to keep us updated!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Dirty Pirate
RedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedNeck D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
RedNeck D's Tacoma Gallery
Free 100k powertrain? Crack my engine open! Haha.

Goodluck though
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Spencer
spencer44306's Tacoma Gallery
100k engine warranty is just when shes hitting her prime...its like a hot milf ready for young blood
Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I will say I am glad that with the information you have, and have given, that you don't fault the dealership or their techs.
x2. That was my first thought, nice to hear someone that's not bitching about it!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #13
burair is on a distinguished road
burair's Tacoma Gallery
What wierd sound are you hearing? Any video or audio of the sound? I've gotten a weird sound coming from my '13, but its not constant.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:42 AM   #14
dilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud of

Marines: VMA-223
dilligaff82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck D View Post
Free 100k powertrain? Crack my engine open! Haha.

Goodluck though
Most dealerships (around here anyways) include that anyways these days... When you buy the truck you get the standard 3/36, and the dealer adds power train coverage on their own dime to 100k.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #15
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaff82 View Post
Most dealerships (around here anyways) include that anyways these days... When you buy the truck you get the standard 3/36, and the dealer adds power train coverage on their own dime to 100k.

My 13' came with lifetime powertrain..
Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaff82 View Post
Not here. Sorry to hear op . They have built over a million of these things so things and with those numbers you'll see issues here and there. We had a 4 cylinder 2008 camry that had 113k and it started to burn a lot of oil and the trans took a dump.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #18
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the noise I have, sorry no video to look at.

http://s154.photobucket.com/user/hot...655bc.mp4.html
Old 02-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #19
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod53 View Post
Here is the noise I have, sorry no video to look at.

http://s154.photobucket.com/user/hot...655bc.mp4.html
That doesn't sound good!
It sounds like the dealer is willing to work with you. If it were my truck id want them to replace the engine, toyota is about high mileage and you deserve to get that out of a vehicle. good luck!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #20
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery
Man that's terrible! I listened to the recording of the sound--does it stay that way all the time?
I ask, because my 2014 makes a similar sound for a minute or two when it's warming up--especially when it's cold out (I think it's worse in the cold, but am not sure because so far we've only had cold mornings). As soon as I've driven a half mile or so, the sound goes away.