Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012+ Grill mod write up 'thin lip' Custom Car Grills DIY

Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
2012+ Grill mod write up 'thin lip' Custom Car Grills DIY

**Update, I was having some whistling issues after installing. I taped the top part of the grill where it meets the hood and drove around. No more noise. Ill end up trying the 1/4" drip tube in the weather stripping that this guy did.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...dentified.html

Otherwise, everything is still holding up nicely. The mesh is still attached soundly with no signs of becoming weak.

I put the drip tube in the strip between the hood and grill. Seems to have fixed the whistling issue.**

As the title says it's for the Custom Car Grills DIY mesh. I didn't come up with the mod, I'm just making a bit more of a detailed write up for anyone who decides to go this route.

This mod does require some work, but not near as much as making a satoshi grill. I probably spent about a week making my satoshi. This grill only took a matter of hours in terms of labor. Waiting for the epoxy to cure was the longest wait, which was about 48 hours.

Some things you may want.

First thing you want to do is remove the two 10mm bolts from the top of the grill.

Now remove the two plastic rivet clips on top by prying the center out with a screwdriver.

Now, where you removed the 10mm bolts, you'll see white plastic that the bolts thread into. Pull the black plastic up over the white plastic, so the grill doesn't get hung up on them when you pull the grill out. Once you've done that, take you're fingers and grab the grill where it edges under the lights. Left or right, it doesn't matter. Pull straight out quickly and forcefully. The grill should pop out. Be careful not to let the other side of the grill scrape your bumper when it comes out.

Custom Car Grills has a video on the removal of the guts and install of the new grill. Below I added some details that aren't in the video. You'll see the video to the right of the grey tacoma on their site.
http://www.customcargrills.com/Toyota-Truck-Grills.asp

There is 20 T20 torx screws to remove. Then there is 10 plastic clips/hooks that you need to unhook. Unhook each one just enough to not be snapped in, then start to pry the grill apart. I used needle nose pliers and gently pried the plastic back until the hooks unclipped.

In the video it's mentioned that the mesh is to be sandwiched between the colored/chrome piece, and the black backing. The only way to do this is to cut away at the area where the mesh will sit. You can see the extra plastic cut away in the video, but it's not mentioned to cut it out.

You can see where the mesh ends at the top, extra plastic has to be cut out to get the mesh to be sandwiched between the 2 grill pieces. You also have to cut out a little extra around the sides at the top. The mesh transitions from laying on top at the bottom, to being sandwiched at the top. If you don't do this, then the mesh will not fit between the colored/chrome piece, and the grill backing.

I used the Goop like he said in the video. I was a little skeptical of this method, but once it was all done and cured, everything was very sturdy. I would have preferred to epoxy bolts and use nuts and washers to secure the mesh. However, there just isn't enough material to work with to do this.

I used the end of a zip tie to get to areas that were tight. Be careful when putting the goop in certain spots, as I put too much in the corner and it oozed onto the painted surface. I didn't notice this until it had dried, but luckily it peeled right off without any damage the painted surface.

While I waited for the epoxy to cure, I decided to paint the radiator black with high temp engine paint so it wouldn't show through the mesh so easily. Eventually I'll move the horns to a better location.

Putting the grill back in is just a matter of lining up all the clips and pushing it in. It will all snap back into place. Put the two 10mm bolts back in and the two plastic rivet clips.

Now that every things is cured and put back together. It's not perfect in a few spots, but not bad at all.

I used 2 bottles of goop, but part of a third could have been used.
In all I spent about $65-$70.

Hope this helps anyone out looking to do this.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! I'm waiting on the TRD Pro grill to come out but if I don't like it person I'll definitely do this mod. Good job!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
NICE. I see they have it for the 2011 too. Hmmmmm
Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
DesertSand has a spectacular aura aboutDesertSand has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard:
DesertSand's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice write up, Thanks!!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
luvium is on a distinguished road

luvium's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet grill man, I want one!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
NICE. I see they have it for the 2011 too. Hmmmmm
The 05-11 is for the satoshi grill mod. The write up for that grill is here.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-write-up.html

or you can get one from Homertaco.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hom...hi-grills.html
Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Ulysiss has a spectacular aura aboutUlysiss has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ulysiss
Ulysiss's Tacoma Gallery
SUBD
Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
Jrs13086 will become famous soon enoughJrs13086 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jason
Jrs13086's Tacoma Gallery
Looks real good. How long in total did it take you to do? (minus cure time)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
RESIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs13086 View Post
Looks real good. How long in total did it take you to do? (minus cure time)
Thanks. I'd say about 3 hours, and that's because I didn't catch that I had to cut a bigger opening at the top of the grill backing. I had to go back and cut it again to fit the mesh. It was a bit of a trial and error fitment. Now that I know what's going on, it would probably only take about 1.5-2 hours.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
dirty Nissan driver
gravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
gravedgr's Tacoma Gallery
Subbing, although I hold out hope there will one day be '12+ satoshi grills
Old 02-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
treyfaccone is on a distinguished road
Army: Weapons
treyfaccone's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine a couple weeks back 2014

It should look better with the CBI Moab 2.0
Attached Thumbnails
2012+ Grill mod write up 'thin lip' Custom Car Grills DIY-image.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #13
RESIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyfaccone View Post
It should look better with the CBI Moab 2.0
I have these emblems. The 12+ emblems are bigger than the previous. The metal TOYOTA emblem I use to have on my satoshi before I sold it. I'll probably go with the bottom one. Paint it and figure out some way to mount it. Maybe cut the emblem into individual letters like the one member on here did. Not sure yet.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
I have these emblems. The 12+ emblems are bigger than the previous. The metal TOYOTA emblem I use to have on my satoshi before I sold it. I'll probably go with the bottom one. Paint it and figure out some way to mount it. Maybe cut the emblem into individual letters like the one member on here did. Not sure yet.

Man I dunno. Just my opinion (I know you didn't ask ) but the way you have it right now looks "clean". Love the paint color and the black mesh with nothing breaking up the lines... That looks perfect to me. I "personally" would leave it just like you have it. You did a great job on it!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
RESIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearViewMirror View Post
Man I dunno. Just my opinion (I know you didn't ask ) but the way you have it right now looks "clean". Love the paint color and the black mesh with nothing breaking up the lines... That looks perfect to me. I "personally" would leave it just like you have it. You did a great job on it!
Opinions are more than welcome. I agree with how clean it looks. That's kinda what I'm debating with myself. I'll probably still make the letters and just see how they look. I've had them sitting around for a long time.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. Nice write up.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Eric F is on a distinguished road

Eric F's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #19
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
I may have to work on this. I have the mesh(not bent..) and a cut apart grill..I gave up at the fiberglass part...hmmm
Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #20
Gov is on a distinguished road
Gov's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking grill man. I noticed you have your front mud flaps on. what size tire are you running and how much lift. I am running 265/75R/16 and billies set at 1.75 and am not able to use my front mud flaps.