Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2.5 inch lift questions

Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #21
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumTaco View Post
I do think 884s with a 5100 billy set at 2.5 would be a better ride then Eibach set at 1.75.
You cannot set bilstein 5100 shocks at 2.5, let alone 1.75, with either of these "lift" springs. They are meant to lift the truck without pre-loading the coil like you would with a stock coil. You can set the billies to .85 with eibachs to get about 2.5" of lift. 884 coils in billies set at 0" will give you about 2" of lift and eibachs with setting at 0" will give about 1.6" of lift
Old 02-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #22
MagnumTaco is a jewel in the roughMagnumTaco is a jewel in the roughMagnumTaco is a jewel in the rough

Law Enforcement:
Name: Tony
MagnumTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You cannot set bilstein 5100 shocks at 2.5, let alone 1.75, with either of these "lift" springs. They are meant to lift the truck without pre-loading the coil like you would with a stock coil. You can set the billies to .85 with eibachs to get about 2.5" of lift. 884 coils in billies set at 0" will give you about 2" of lift and eibachs with setting at 0" will give about 1.6" of lift
Mine is set at .85 and all I have is 1.75 lift. I have the Baja set up.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #23
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine is set at .85 and all I have is 1.75 lift. I have the Baja set up.
What coils are you using? The baja uses different style bilstein 5100s from what I've seen
Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #24
MagnumTaco is a jewel in the roughMagnumTaco is a jewel in the roughMagnumTaco is a jewel in the rough

Law Enforcement:
The ride height adjustable. Unless I have my height marks wrong. The spring is on the second mark, isn't that the .85? The red Eibach
Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleTRDtaco12 View Post
Wow this is all great info guys, thanks so much! Keep it coming lol, now may I ask why the diff drop is pointless on the 2nd gen tacos??? And also what carrier bearing drop did you employ?? Was it the EMU carrier bearing drop?
Do some searching, you'll find that is the consensus. On the 2nd gens it doesn't really drop it, it more rotates it and doesn't net much gain in CV angles but exposes the differential to more potential for damage. Here's one thread but there are more: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html

Yeah, I got the OME CB drop from Wheeler's Off Road when I bought my kit. I have the Dakar leafs though which lifted the truck about 2.5" so not sure if your situation will be exactly the same.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #26

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The ride height adjustable. Unless I have my height marks wrong. The spring is on the second mark, isn't that the .85?
Yeah it should be and the ride height is adjustable. The OME and Eibach coils are longer and do not need to be pre-loaded to lift, unlike the shorter stock coil springs. I'm just not sure what coil springs you have, its possible to pre-load those springs, just not reccommended.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #27

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Yeah it should be and the ride height is adjustable. The OME and Eibach coils are longer and do not need to be pre-loaded to lift, unlike the shorter stock coil springs. I'm just not sure what coil springs you have, its possible to pre-load those springs, just not reccommended.
Is there a way to identify the coil springs?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #28

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is there a way to identify the coil springs?
Hmm, not 100% sure on that, I guess look at pics of each. But if all your suspension is OEM Baja stuff, then I'd guess its whatever comes with the Baja. I do not know much about their suspensions, but they are pretty nice
Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #29

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Hmm, not 100% sure on that, I guess look at pics of each. But if all your suspension is OEM Baja stuff, then I'd guess its whatever comes with the Baja. I do not know much about their suspensions, but they are pretty nice
You have me wondering. I didn't order the Baja truck I asked the dealer to order the suspension and install it. I am wondering if I have the correct components. Because the shock is set at the second mark (.85) with the Red Eibach springs with a total of 1.75 inches. I am pretty sure the springs say TRD Eibach on them. Something isn't correct. Either my components are wrong or the Eibach springs set at .85 doesn't equal 2.5 inches?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #30

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have me wondering. I didn't order the Baja truck I asked the dealer to order the suspension and install it. I am wondering if I have the correct components. Because the shock is set at the second mark (.85) with the Red Eibach springs with a total of 1.75 inches. I am pretty sure the springs say TRD Eibach on them. Something isn't correct. Either my components are wrong or the Eibach springs set at .85 doesn't equal 2.5 inches?
Ohhh, hmm. I'd look up what the baja suspension comes with new, I think the eibach coils they use are different from the toytec ones. And I'm not 100% sure on the toytec eibach giving 2.5 lift at .85, but I know its usually more than 1.75. I do believe I read a thread that mentioned the Baja suspension gives you about 1.75" of lift though
Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #31
Drinknmolson is on a distinguished road
Drinknmolson's Tacoma Gallery
Get old man emu 885's put your billies to zero the 1.5 aal should sit you level @ 2.5" i have 884's in front and sit raked until loaded but i have a topper and body armor rear bumper. A lil stiffer but it handles really well on & off road.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #32
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTopp View Post
Ohhh, hmm. I'd look up what the baja suspension comes with new, I think the eibach coils they use are different from the toytec ones. And I'm not 100% sure on the toytec eibach giving 2.5 lift at .85, but I know its usually more than 1.75. I do believe I read a thread that mentioned the Baja suspension gives you about 1.75" of lift though
Without reading the whole thread, the Toytec kit is quite different than OEM Baja kit AFAIK.

Here are p/n for the Baja kit.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post8242835
Old 02-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #33
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the Baja set up. Eibach and billy 5100 set at .85 from dealer. This gave a level of 1.75 some say 1.6 inches. This would make the Eibach .9 inch lift spring. I was thinking about moving my 5100s to 1.75 mark. Making the lift 2.5-2.65. According to some this is good to go as long as you do not go above 1.75 mark.
Baja setup does not use 5100s. It uses 9100s up front.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #34
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have adjustable front shocks and no external reservoir, you don't have the OEM Baja set-up. Here's what the Baja kit looks like:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ause-baja.html
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #35
Bosshoag is on a distinguished road

Name: Mr. Doogan
Bosshoag's Tacoma Gallery
So it seems as though we can conclude that putting 884 coilsprings on bilstein 5100's set to zero is the cheapest and probably most similar feel to stock way to achieve 2" of lift in the front of a 2008 Access cab TRD Sport. Am I right?

I'm not going to sleep tonight until I figure out the answer to this question. I worked 14 hours today and have to again tomorrow guys. please help.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #36
kyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kyleTRDtaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
If you have adjustable front shocks and no external reservoir, you don't have the OEM Baja set-up. Here's what the Baja kit looks like:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ause-baja.html
x2 yes, the OEM facroty baja setup front coil over struts are not adjustable and have a signifying 'TRD-Bilstein' sticker on them, and the rears have the same stickers with the 5100 rear shocks with the remote reservoirs
Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 AM   #37
kyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kyleTRDtaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTopp View Post
I have read that it will supposedly sit "level" with billies at 1.75 and tsb springs and that at .85 and non-tsb springs, it would be level.
I second this 100% because this is what I was under the impression of and I was just waiting for somebody to confirm it.... I totally messed up because back when I was doing my 5100 lift in the first place the TSB springs we just becoming standard issue on the 2012 tacos, and I made the mistake of taking the advice of someone who used the .85 setting to perfectly level their 4 cylinder 4x4 access cab taco (being it was a 4 cylinder it only had the 3 leaf pack) but me having a 6 cylinder 4x4 with the 4 leaf TSB springs (and not realizing I had the TSB springs pre installed until after the fact lol) I mistakingly set them at .85 instead of 1.75.... does the alignment still come out ok if the billy's get set to 1.75??
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 AM   #39

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleTRDtaco12 View Post
I second this 100% because this is what I was under the impression of and I was just waiting for somebody to confirm it.... I totally messed up because back when I was doing my 5100 lift in the first place the TSB springs we just becoming standard issue on the 2012 tacos, and I made the mistake of taking the advice of someone who used the .85 setting to perfectly level their 4 cylinder 4x4 access cab taco (being it was a 4 cylinder it only had the 3 leaf pack) but me having a 6 cylinder 4x4 with the 4 leaf TSB springs (and not realizing I had the TSB springs pre installed until after the fact lol) I mistakingly set them at .85 instead of 1.75.... does the alignment still come out ok if the billy's get set to 1.75??
The alignment should be alright with that setup, most people would recommend you get new upper control arms if you lift 2.5" or more because that's when your caster starts getting impossible to be adjusted with stock UCAs
Old 02-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #40
Drinknmolson is on a distinguished road
Drinknmolson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshoag View Post
So it seems as though we can conclude that putting 884 coilsprings on bilstein 5100's set to zero is the cheapest and probably most similar feel to stock way to achieve 2" of lift in the front of a 2008 Access cab TRD Sport. Am I right?

I'm not going to sleep tonight until I figure out the answer to this question. I worked 14 hours today and have to again tomorrow guys. please help.

Yep