1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.5 inch lift questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyleTRDtaco12, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Feb 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    (looked around for a bit and could not find any info i needed so ill just start a new thread)

I currently am running Bilstein 5100's all the way around, (fronts set @ .85 with a stock linear spring) and since my truck is a 2012 it already has the TSB rear overload leafs.... i'd like to lift/level my truck alittle more and want to do it RIGHT, but also as inexpensively as possible, and since the Billy's I have already aren't very old and still ride nicely i can most definitely reuse them with no problems, so here is what i'm thinking of doing, maxing out the front 5100's to the top 2.5 inch setting and getting Toytec's 1.5 inch rear AAL for the TSB leafs and i figure that will be about evenly level. Now here are the questions:

• Does a front 2.5 inch Bilstein 5100 lift require a front diff drop for proper front axle angel?

• Does a rear 1.5 inch Toytec TSB AAL require rear axle shims for proper pinion alignment?

• Does a front 2.5 inch Bilstein 5100 lift require different upper control arms to clear the coil springs?

• Does this lift i am aspiring to do require a carrier bearing drop?

• is it SAFE to put the Bilstein 5100's on the Top 2.5 inch setting?

• Will the truck even sit level when using just the Front Billy's set @ 2.5 and the 1.5 inch Toytec TSB AAL OR would i have to add Toytec's 1/4 inch Front Top Plate Spacer to achieve the truck being level?

• Does the Toytec 1.5 inch TSB AAL require longer U-Bolts that are NOT included the the purchase of the of the 1.5 TSB AAL?

• Is doing this lift even worth it, or will it just cause more uneeded headaches like driveline vibes etc.?? :confused:

Like i've said before, i don't have much funds $$ to do this and there is not any good reason to get rid of my current 5100's other than wanting more lift. feedback on this matter is much appreciated, thanks for looking/reading/responding!

2. Feb 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM
    Cschu14

Cschu14 Saw guy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14trd
    I just bought a 14 trd and would like to lift it a little also. From the research I've done sounds like bilstein 5100 adjustable in front set at 1.5 and icon 3 pack AAL in rear should do the trick to get a little bigger tire on.My ? Is do I need to change rear shocks also to accommodate the AAL?

3. Feb 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    jfdtruckman

jfdtruckman Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sr5
    I have my front set @ 2.5 with stock springs and I didn't install a differential drop kit, and I have wheelers 2' rear aal and no I didn't install the axle shims. I've had no problems, yet I should mention I don't do much off roading and even when I do it's mild mud/snow from just hunting and fishing. The stock uca's aligned just fine with mine also. I'm sure there's much more experience on here than mine so this is just my 2 cents and my experience so far. My taco is a 07 DCSB.

4. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    MagnumTaco

MagnumTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Supercharger, Baja Suspension, TRD exhuast, Stealth pulley.
  5. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    mollyg

mollyg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    13 tacoma
    3" lift
    I have a 3" Pro Comp lift 3 in front 1 in back I did put in diff drop spacer no need to change rear shocks works excellent running 32" tires.

100_0534.jpg

6. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Awesome, alright cool thanks, thanks for the reply I really appreciate it and it rly helps. Does your truck sit level??

7. Feb 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    jfdtruckman

jfdtruckman Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sr5
    I would consider it level but really it has a very slight rake, but not like stock rake. It's fine with me by the time I haul my boat or small camper it won't set low in the rear. Another huge ? of mine before I did the bilsteins and the aal was what size tire to go with, and I went with 265 75 16's. They are proportionate (don't look like bb's under the rims) and I had no rubbing issues and no noticeable diff in gas mileage.

8. Feb 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    jfdtruckman

jfdtruckman Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sr5
    Also, many will tell you the billies @ 2.5 with stock coils are a rough ride quality. Mine is a little stiffer, but not bad and still handles well in curves, etc. Of course, I drive a Tacoma not a Cadillac, and I wouldn't know what a smooth ride is, all me and my family drives are Toyotas and jeeps.

9. Feb 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Don't waste the time or money on the diff drop. It's considered pointless on 2nd gens. Upper control arms are hit or miss but they'll help ensure you get a good alignment if you do replace them. I threw the carrier bearing drop on, was easy and I have no driveline vibes.

10. Feb 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    The 1.5 toytec AAL did not require rear axle shims for my reg cab nor did I need longer u-bolts or brake lines. It did cause a horrible grinding noise until I flipped my drive shaft around, but apparently that is somewhat common for reg cabs. I can't speak to the 2 piece driveshaft tacomas but I would imagine the 1.5aal would be a relatively safe bet that everything will be fine.

Edit: my truck also did not have the tab springs. Take a look at how much of the bolts is sticking out the bottom of your u bolts, you'll have about a quarter inch less after the AAL.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. Feb 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    If ride quality is important to you then I can assure you that setting it at 2.5 and adding an AAL on top of TSB rear leafs will stiffen the ride up quite a bit, probably not to your liking long term.. This will be the cheapest route for lift and more than likely fine with stock UCA's, no diff drop or even carrier drop. Unfortunately, the other more expensive and preferred option is coilovers and rear leaf pack but performance and ride quality much improved.

12. Feb 23, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Wow this is all great info guys, thanks so much! Keep it coming lol, now may I ask why the diff drop is pointless on the 2nd gen tacos??? And also what carrier bearing drop did you employ?? Was it the EMU carrier bearing drop?

13. Feb 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I definitely hear your point about the stiffer ride quality, but I only heard of the ride quality being greatly sacrificed with the 5100's (front) when you are using and preloading a progressively wound TRD offroad front spring, not so much the linear normal coil spring like I have, or is any spring type on the 2.5 inch setting harsh?

14. Feb 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    Bosshoag

Bosshoag Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Doogan
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    '20 4X4 TRD Off Road MT
    I'm here for knowledge folks, please feel free to inform me. Expedition Essentials Track Mount Weather Tech floor liners and window vents K&N air filter Summit Dakars in Matte Bronze -25 offset King suspension from Filthy Motorsports MESO customs white/red interior lights and MESO customs gasshole
    Sub'd looking for the same height (2.5") with a stock smooth ride as well.
    Would 884's or Eibach coils with the Bilsteins set at 2.5 be a better ride than preloaded TRD sport coils?

15. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Well id go for the eibach springs but the eibachs are a lift spring and with any lift spring it can only be set at stock height or 0.85 on a bilstien 5100 shock... never set a bilstien shock at 2.5 with a lift spring lol.... as for ride, an eibach at the correct setting (base or 0.85) will perform and ride 1000x times better than a stock linear (TRD Sport spring) maxed out at 2.5. At this point im considering just bumping my bilstein shocks just up to 1.75 since the TSB springs came with my truck from the factory.... I think it may sit level then but idk.... any input on that anybody?? And how is the ride quality with the bilstein shock set at 1.75 with a stock linear spring from anyone who runs that particular setup?? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  16. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    I have read that it will supposedly sit "level" with billies at 1.75 and tsb springs and that at .85 and non-tsb springs, it would be level.

17. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    I have an '06 with the Bilstein 5100's set at 1.75 with stock linear springs and the TSB springs in the rear. Truck sits level, and the ride is smooth. If I were to do it over again however, I would have ordered Eibach springs and a set of lift springs for the rear. But on a budget, the Bilsteins at 1.75" and the rear TSB springs are a nice fit. I'm also riding on Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo2's which are a P rated tire. That helps too, as I did have BFG AT TA's before, and the ride was pretty rough. But they were an LT tire with 3ply sidewalls.

18. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    MagnumTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    I have the Baja set up. Eibach and billy 5100 set at .85 from dealer. This gave a level of 1.75 some say 1.6 inches. This would make the Eibach .9 inch lift spring. I was thinking about moving my 5100s to 1.75 mark. Making the lift 2.5-2.65. According to some this is good to go as long as you do not go above 1.75 mark.

19. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    I plan to do what you did, but then add lift springs in the front later on when I get bigger tires or just wait til I get a new truck and do something different(in the way, way, way, way, faraway future)

20. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    MagnumTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    I do think 884s with a 5100 billy set at 2.5 would be a better ride then Eibach set at 1.75.

Products Discussed in

To Top