Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Coil Questions

Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
Bosshoag is on a distinguished road

Name: Mr. Doogan
Bosshoag's Tacoma Gallery
Coil Questions

My goal is to keep a soft smooth ride similar to stock while lifting my Taco 2". What would be closest to that if I go with bilstein 5100's?
884's?
Eibach's?
Or the preloaded factory springs?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

75 views and no suggestions?! I did just read that billies set at .85" and Eibach springs would be an excellent set up, far superior to preloaded '08 TRD Sport coil springs and billies set to 2.25. Also that you should never set billies to 2.5" with a "lift spring" like Eibach's. Any thoughts? Or further info?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshoag View Post
Also that you should never set billies to 2.5" with a "lift spring" like Eibach's. Any thoughts? Or further info?
This is absolutely true. Never use a LIFT COIL and adjust the billies.
One or the other.
Lift coil + billies at ZERO (or stock)
Stock Coils + billies set to your desired lift

Why? Too much preload & pressure. A long time ago, I've seen what a LIFT coil and a coil spacer can do - and that's blow out the lower coil seat on the strut.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #6

Hey thanks for the input guys!

So 884's and billies set at zero will be about 2.5" of lift and ride smooth like stock? I don't want my new truck to ride really rough. That's the goal here.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Coil Questions

Quote:
Hey thanks for the input guys!

So 884's and billies set at zero will be about 2.5" of lift and ride smooth like stock? I don't want my new truck to ride really rough. That's the goal here.

2"

That's what you said in the OP

and they aren't going to ride like stock
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

well whats the stock TRD Baja suspension? isn't it equivalent to a 2" lift? It must be a similarly smooth ride compared to bone stock TRD Sport but taller right?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with comparing different coil springs?
I went from stock straight to Toytec coilovers preset at 2.5" and rode equal to better than stock. No change in ride when I upgraded tire size to 275/65/18 Dynapro ATMS in a P-metric. Now ride is a tad stiffer but still smooth going to 285/75/16s Rocky mountains due to AT D load tire. Keep in mind the rear lift and shocks will have quite an effect on ride quality too. An AAL will ride stiffer than stock vs. a full soft riding leaf pack. I temporarily ran 1.5" block for the rear with no change in ride quality but it did wear out my factory springs and gave me an occasional axle wrap 'clunk'. My full leaf pack eliminated that.