1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seeking Advice; Thinking About Trading My DCSB for a DCLB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Foxtato, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Feb 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    Foxtato

Foxtato [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    I bought a 2011 DCSB Tacoma with the Off-Road Package new off the lot a few years ago and I love driving a truck - I don’t think I really want another type of vehicle. It was my first car purchase from a dealership and my first “brand new” vehicle. I’ve taken it off-roading a few times, but never went too crazy with it. Lately I’ve been pining over a DCLB TRD Sport; I like the look better and before I start doing mods to my truck, I’d like to be certain I’m not going to change vehicles. I’m starting to look into what my options are, to see if it is a reasonable thing to do or not; in short: I would like other Tacoma owners advice/opinions.

On my current truck, I have a little under $6k on it, has almost 32k miles on it, and hasn’t had any mechanical problems what-so-ever. The front of the truck is lifted slightly to level her out (I believe Bilstein 5100s) and I have an almost-new set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain 275/70-16 tires. As far as any cosmetic problems, there are some scratches on the door panels from going off-roading as well as a chip of plastic missing from the tailgate, but that’s it.

I know there is plenty of information and opinions on SB vs LB on the forums, so I won’t ask that specific question, but what I am mostly concerned about is my trucks current value and the price of another vehicle. Should I trade it in at a dealership? Go to a private seller? What can I hope to get the MSRP on a new truck down to in Southern California? Or, should I bite my tongue and just stick with my SB?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Feb 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    The number 1 question to ask yourself is do you need that extra foot of bed space? Otherwise all the color-matched sport crap can be bought at the dealer, so don't waste your times if it's only cosmetics you are after.

Especially if your current truck has given you no problems. Why risk possibly getting a new truck with some hicups?

3. Feb 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    Foxtato

Member:
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    The color-matched sport stuff isn't really a focus, chances are I would replace bits and pieces over the next year or two (bumper, etc). Any of the extra trimmings, such as the in-dash nav system, etc, I feel I could add in with aftermarket pieces just fine. I feel that the extra foot of bed length would be useful for hauling stuff (of course), going camping if I opt to sleep in the bed (I'm 6'1"), and for visual appearance.

4. Jun 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Member:
    Did you ever get the LB? I think they are 6' so it would be tight to sleep in.

5. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I put 175,000 on a DC/SB before trading it in on a DC/LB and won't look back! I've griped about that darn 5' bed since I bought my 2006! The DC/LB looks long, it's a little tougher parking, I had to buy a new bed mat and LEER car.... not a problem, don't regret it. The LB rides smoother, tows better, and has never bottomed out... not to mention the cool hood scoop that makes it go faster...LOL.

At first the LB looked like a boat, now the DC/SB looks stubby to me....LOL.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    Foxtato

Member:
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Short answer is: no. I opted to stick with my SB for a variety of reasons. While the LB would be nice in certain circumstances, and I'm sure I will have moments where I wish I had it, the SB suits me fine for my day-to-day and off-roading whims. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my SB so far and didn't really feel like having to keep making payments for the next few years, so SB it is.

That said, I am looking at what fun things I can do to it. :)

7. Jun 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    The109

The109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    I just got back from week long trip where I camped in the back of my Access Cab under a topper. I could not imagine doing it in a 5 foot bed. If I get another Tacoma it will be a DCLB. I say go for it if you can afford it.

8. Jun 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    Foxtato

Member:
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Well, in looking at the LB, I had to think about how much I would legitimately use it. My work keeps me fairly busy, etc, so I don't go out nearly as much as I would like. That, and I'm 6"1" so lying down would be a little tight (but not bad by any stretch). However, I was basically presented with two options:
    1) Get the LB, put myself another 10k or so in the hole (if I bought new), and then get a soft-top, bed, etc for when I do go camping.
    Or
    2) Keep my current and invest in a rack + tent (CVT or similar) at a fraction of the price.

9. Jun 2, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    hmcclung

hmcclung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    14 Superwhite S/C DCSB TRD OR
    I think you'll be happier putting your money into a RTT! Good choice to stick with what you got

Products Discussed in

To Top