1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone tried to plastidip this area of the grill?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Djarmpit, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    Djarmpit

Djarmpit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    http://imgur.com/W2YNziT

I have the 2013 Pre-runner with the chrome grill and wanted to plastidip it white so that it looks like the grill on the sport model. Has anyone tried this before? Any advice?

2. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    high voltage taco

high voltage taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 speed 4x4
    so far, URD throwout bearing kit(sleeve), weathertechs, 285/70/17's on Ion 17x9 and OME 885s and Dakars and nitro sports. BHLM
    I dipped my chrome grill black and has held up for about 5 months now. Its just hard to wash the bug spots off.

3. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    montes6173

montes6173 Any place is comfortable if you make it that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Black Western Bull Bar, Avid Off-Road Side Steps, Truxedo Tonneau Covers(OFF), Painted Badges and Grill Black, Removed Mud Flaps, Bestop Supertop(ON), Diff breather mod, plastic-dip lower valance and rear bumper.
    I have mine whole grill plastic-dip black. It should be the same no matter what color, it worked fine foe me and has not chipped since i did it about a year ago.

4. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    Germ

Germ Master Navigator/Zipper Operator

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    If your truck gets dirty or you smash an excess amount of insects, don't dip it. Just color match it and be done with it. The derp holds dirt and bugs like nobody's business and chips off eventually.

5. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    rcchris

rcchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '12 v6 4wd access cab auto black
    I did mine almost a year ago, and it has held up great. But as High Voltage Taco said, it is a bit harder to get the bugs off of.
    [​IMG]

6. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
  7. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Don't Plasti-Dip that part of your truck.

Do what I did.

Remove grill from truck

DSC_0081_529440c7fc9bd166287e7c628ef02e1263bc22f2.jpg

Use This to paint your grill

And it will turn out like this

DSC_0389_1f6ed3b39f5e8eda8581549dce412e98ee460723.jpg

SinghSingh likes this.
  8. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Yup, agree with the ^above^ comments on keeping it clean but I'm happy with it.
    [​IMG]

9. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I dipped my front grill and lower valance last summer. Turned out great. Other members have done it here as well.

GrillampValanceBlack-Installed_zps3893c5_142cb560c7e69d513301fa1acf1e1ad17e71ba33.jpg

10. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    Djarmpit

Djarmpit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:

How many coats did you do? Any advice for a noob working on this type of stuff for the first time?

11. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    For the longest lasting results, Sand the chrome with some fine grit sandpaper first. Or use self etching primer. Wipe it down after sanding with some rubbing alcohol to get the grime off. Then hit it with the primer/paint your using. For better results hit it with a couple coats of clear (in whatever finish you want, matte, satin etc)

I'd say 4-5 nice light coats of your main coat of paint with 15 min or so to dry in between.

EDIT: use my method for spray paint and the below post for dip

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  12. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    - Remove the grill from the truck. Other members and I can help you with that since we've done it. I never removed the lower valance since I didn't know how. So I taped and dipped.
    - Prep the area. You can use Pre Dip spray through DYC(Dip Your Car), Windex or a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water(50/50). Put it on a towel or paper towel. Don't put the prepping spray right on the project.
    - Make sure that the project is clean and dry. If it's wet and dirty the dip can, will bubble and lift the dip up from the project and the PD will not cure to the project.
    - You do not need to sand, scuff, prime the area. It's not like paint. If you use an aftermarket clear coat the dip is going to be a lot harder to take off. It's going to come off in little pieces. There is clear PD and Glossifer that you can use. It still makes it easier to take the dip off whenever you want.
    - Put the can into warm to hot water. If the dip is cold then it could plug the nozzle. Bubbles can also spit out onto your project. You don't really want that.
    - Make sure the project is warm too. If it sat outside all winter and is cold. The dip isn't going to cure to the project, it's just going to come off.
    - Start off with thin coats and as the more coats you add, the thicker they should be. The more coats you add the better off it's going to be. It's better protection and if you want to remove it you can. if the dip is thin then it's a big pain in the ass.
    - The stock nozzles that come with the cans are not very good. You're going to have to do a lot of passes to get those heavier coats. You can get an aftermarket nozzle through DYC if you want. It's better coverage, less passes(compared to a stock nozzle) and you get better coverage.
    - Wipe the nozzle after every pass. If you don't then the dip can dry in there and then you'll plug the nozzle as well as have really bad spray patters.
    - If there is anything that you don't want PD on, cover it(mask it off).
    - Wait 15-20 minutes per coat to dry.
    - Have a few inches from your sprayer to your project. If you're too close it's going to run. if you're too far away then you're not going to get the coverage.
    - On your last coat take off the tape and other masking. If you take the tape and other masking when the dip is dry, the masking will take the dip with it.
    - Qtips are good to get into small areas with prepping if a towel or your fingers can't.
    - Toothpicks are good to take dip out of places where you don't want it(like the inners of emblem letters for example). It doesn't scratch or wreck the paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8zyzxKWM70 - DYC nozzles vs. stock nozzles.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY - Clear coat(aftermarket) on the top PD.

13. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM
    field76

field76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman
    Vehicle:
    2012 PM TRD OR DCAB
    Debadged, audio upgrade, silex organizers, AVS in channel window vents, 5100s on all corners with Wheelers 3 leaf HD AAL
    I did this using Windex for the first step. You should be pretty anal during this step as any oil will cause the dip not to stick. I found that by wiping off the nozzle between coats it helped keep the spray uniform. I painted mine over a year ago and it still looks solid.

14. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Also adding to that if you wash it and then decide to dip right after make sure everything is 100% dry. I washed my door badges on my first attempt at dipping them and a few collections of water droplets totally screwed me over. This past time I blew out the badges with an air compressor to make sure it was dry.

15. Feb 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Everyone has their own way to when it comes to dipping. Majority of the techniques are the same(prepping for example). Some people will choose to use different products then others. It's what works for you and your application. I personally use Pre Dip Spray and that works for me. Some people will use Windex or the mixture of rubbing alcohol/water(50/50).
    But remember, what works for one person doesn't mean that it's going to work for another person. PD is a trial and error type of hobby. Once you get your own technique down, the things that someone can do is amazing. Practice, practice, practice.

16. Feb 24, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    jimbo33l

jimbo33l Tacodile.... Supreme

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 DC Off Rd 4x4
    I've dipped mine and we have tons of dust and bugs in texas. I just spray with a pressure washer to get the heavy stuff from a foot away and then use (meticulous matte) cleaning spray from chemical guys. Does an excellent job just lightly rub with the spray and microfiber towel and good as new

17. Feb 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    jimbo33l

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 DC Off Rd 4x4
    Also if you have a heat gun u can use it and it will cut your drying time down big time.

18. Feb 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    You can also use Simple Green as well to clean dip. You really have to be careful when you're using a towel and rubbing the dip. If your dip is thin or you rub too hard you can end up taking the dip off. A pressure washer will not take your dip off. The only way it will take the dip off if you have a piece in it missing etc. There are videos on youtube that you can find that other people who use PD have ran through car washes and never have had any issues.

I personally have never used the product this poster is talking about so I can't really say if it would work for me or my application. It could work for someone else and their application though.

PD is only rated to 200F so you really have to be careful if you wanted to this. I just think that by doing this that you're risking your project. In 15C/59F you can wait upto 15 minutes for a coat and it's going to dry. To me, doing this would be like someone cleaning their PD with gas. Never use gas to clean your PD. Gas will ruin your PD.

19. Feb 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    jimbo33l

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 DC Off Rd 4x4

The stuff I named has cleaned my plasti dipped grill and valance and my buddy's rims. It's for plasti dip or any matte type finish. Not trying to be an infomercial but it really is a great product. I never tried simple green but I'm sure it does work good. Op just make sure to not use any solvent type or petroleum cleaners.

20. Feb 24, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Haha! I am not questioning you or anything. I just personally never have used it. Some products work for some people, other products work for others. Yeah! Using anything with petro is a bad idea.

Products Discussed in

To Top