1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Update on squeaky suspension!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Silence9, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    Silence9

Silence9 [OP] Solve et Coagula

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey everyone. Some of you may have saw my post about my squeaking suspension in the front. After a couple hundred views I only got one sarcastic reply. I did some more inspecting as it seems to be getting worse. Before I could only hear it with the windows down, now I can hear it with the windows sealed.

I figured out that it is probably steering related. When I turn the wheel, especailly to the right, it makes this nasty squeak, like something is really dry and not wanting to move. I can hear it when I move the wheel and especially bad when going over bumps; but the noise is always up front.

I'd appreciate if someone could give me a heads up as to what this is. I am phoning the dealer to take my baby in for the first time for not only this but my rusting rear bumper. :( I like to avoid service if I can because the more it gets monkeyed with the worse off it is. But I have no choice, it is bothering me a lot. Thanks in advance.

2. Feb 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    Joshua

Joshua Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 V6 TRD off-road 4X4 Silver Doublecab
    A common problem on 2nd gens is a really squeaky leaf pack in the rear. I have it bad sometimes, but have gotten used to it. I've never had a squeak up front.

Although, if it's a steering issue, you may want to take a close look at your suspension and make sure there's no rubbing anywhere, you may be able to find something when it's turned to the right, since that's when the squeak is most noticeable.

Check everything you can. Wouldn't want something to happen to you like what happened to me over the weekend http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/317164-luckily-happened-parking-lot.html

3. Feb 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Inspecting led to squeaks? How many miles?

Have you checked for excessive ball joint play? Have they been serviced? Excessive Tie rod play? Steering rack play? Lower or upper control arm bushings still sound? Serviced driveshaft/s? Brakes are true and of proper measurement? Wheel bearings are young and full of life?

I'll assume you've replaced components as SVC and miles calls for? And gotten underneath with a jack and pry bar in an attempt to replicate squeak instead of just post threads about a squeak?

4. Feb 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your truck looks stock from the picture in your Sig. Do you have aftermarket upper control arms? Also, if the dealership will fix it under warranty, why not? It's a 2013..

5. Feb 24, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    I say dealer.. TW can only help so much.. and when it comes to squeaks,squeals, grinding, or other I prefer a dealership take a look.. my experience I had a popping noise.. no one on here was too much help..no offense to anyone.. took it to the dealer and it was a bent heat shield above muffler..case in point.. some things are better when problem is in front of them...not over internet..

Products Discussed in

To Top