Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau cover help

Old 02-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
gen2tegboi is on a distinguished road

Name: Juan
gen2tegboi's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau cover help

I want to get a tonneau cover for my '13 double cab long bed taco but I am not sure which type and brand to get.

I am undecided between roll up and tri fold covers. which is better and why? it seems pretty that you get more access to your bed with the roll up, but is there problems with the tension level compared to a
tri fold? what about snaps vs velcro on covers?

I have been eyeing a truxedo truxsport which is righ at the top of my budget. I am trying to stay under $350.

your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Juan
Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I have an access low cover. It's quite nice and the prices are really good. It's velcro, which I was a little skeptical about, but it has proven to be very dependable and convenient. The access comes with a built in tensioner, so you can tighten or loosen if you like. It's perfectly flat and tight as a drum. The access you can roll up in about 5 seconds. Unroll and secured in about 10 seconds. I've had snaps before, and can't stand them. Nearly impossible to get all the snaps when it's cold out.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
I have an access low cover. It's quite nice and the prices are really good. It's velcro, which I was a little skeptical about, but it has proven to be very dependable and convenient. The access comes with a built in tensioner, so you can tighten or loosen if you like. It's perfectly flat and tight as a drum. The access you can roll up in about 5 seconds. Unroll and secured in about 10 seconds. I've had snaps before, and can't stand them. Nearly impossible to get all the snaps when it's cold out.

thanks. I'll look into the access cover. I think I'm definately going with Velcro.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
addicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
addicted7369's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
x2
Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
nealw is on a distinguished road
nealw's Tacoma Gallery
spend the extra bucks and go with the Truxedo Lo Pro. It's worth it. I got a good price through http://stores.ebay.com/trailerpartsetc/. Contact them.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for Access cover. I have the LiteRider cover for $280 and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6949901
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealw View Post
spend the extra bucks and go with the Truxedo Lo Pro. It's worth it. I got a good price through http://stores.ebay.com/trailerpartsetc/. Contact them.
I had the Truxedo Lo Pro Qt and did not like it one bit. The fit was bad and I also did not like the way it mounted with clamps. I sold it and bought the LiteRider after some research. It fits perfect and mounts under the factory bed rails. Much cleaner looking.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealw View Post

wife gave me a $350 budget. sorry
Old 02-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
potstech is on a distinguished road
Navy: ETC
potstech's Tacoma Gallery
I have the lightrider on mine and on my old 1999 Ford Ranger. They have held up well. No problem with them at all.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Bad decisions for days...
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a smittybuild tonneau cover I got for $100 new. Just a simple tri-fold with clamps that are supposed to grab under the bed sides. As our trucks do not have bed sides I had to slot the bed rails. Not the ideal install but once it's done it comes on and off in 2 minutes and is very easy to use.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
In the past 20 year I've had 3 different types of covers: roll up with snaps, pace edwards hard roll up, and trifold. If you go roll up, don't go with snaps. It's a PIA to close if it cold out although you might not have that issue in Florida. I once literally pulled the cover so hard I caused my knuckles to bleed... Pace Edwards was the most secure. Downside is the canister at the front of the bed taking up a bit of room and the cost. I now have a TonnoPro and like it. Not as secure as the pace Edwards yet as I plan on sliding in sections of melamine or similar between the cover and frame (if I ever get around to it). The downside is that the front approx 1/3 stays covered but it comes off with two hand screws. Price was 269 shipped to the door. A little water does leak in with both the TonnoPro and pace edwards. The roll up fit the truck body and kept water out but that was on an old non-Toyota truck. I can't comment on roll up with Velcro as I haven't used one.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
Another vote for Access cover. I have the LiteRider cover for $280 and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6949901

it looks nice but its 20 bucks over budget. not a biggie but I don't see how it fits under the rails.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #13

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2tegboi View Post
it looks nice but its 20 bucks over budget. not a biggie but I don't see how it fits under the rails.
There are pictures from the install. It mounts under the bed rails (cargo management system rails ) as opposed to using clamps.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...lots-pics.html
Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
Jerryjc is on a distinguished road
Jerryjc's Tacoma Gallery
Tri Fold

I have a Tonno Pro soft Tri Fold cover and it's a nice product for a good price. I have it on the truck for two years now with no issues still looks new it was purchased from Auto Anything with the discount from this site, check the Shop Online link above for coupons.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
There are pictures from the install. It mounts under the bed rails (cargo management system rails ) as opposed to using clamps.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...lots-pics.html

thanks Kryten. while this may be a cleaner look, it seems to me the tonneau rail is held by the truck cms bed rail, where as other tonneau covers use clamps and are easily removable. let me know if I'm wrong.

I like to know that if I ever want to remove the whole thing, it will only take a couple minutes.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #16

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you are correct. Those covers that use clamps for mounting would be faster to remove if needed.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #17
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro QT. Absolutely love it. Had one on my 2007 Tundra as well.

Hit up Luke at TruckAlterations for a deal (He's a vendor on TW as well)

And I'll just leave this here: http://truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 AM   #18
dilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud of

Marines: VMA-223
dilligaff82's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my second Lund Genesis Tri Fold. I liked the first one so much I bought the same one for my short bed. Easy installation and removal, sturdy construction, lifetime warranty, etc, for under $400.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #19
BruceDog is on a distinguished road
BruceDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2tegboi View Post
wife gave me a $350 budget. sorry
I bought the Access Roll up cover last week from truck alterations based on reccomendations from people on this forum. They give good discounts to members. Paid $345 shipped.

http://www.truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro QT. Absolutely love it. Had one on my 2007 Tundra as well.

Hit up Luke at TruckAlterations for a deal (He's a vendor on TW as well)

And I'll just leave this here: http://truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html

Thanks! awesome prices. now the access tonneaus are closer to my budget.