1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Might be a good idea to check those connectors to the transmission !!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bw4706, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Feb 25, 2014 at 4:31 AM
    bw4706

bw4706 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    I'm picking my 09 up from the dealer today. This makes the fourth time it's been in with a transmission shifting problems and check engine and traction control warning lights on. It started downshifting from 5th. to 4th. gear and could not up shift. It was found to be a quart and a half low to start with. The dealer filled it, cleared codes and it did the same thing within a day. They ended up putting a new trans in it under my extended warranty and a week later it started doing the same thing and also felt like it would lock up on take off . ( Thought it might be axle wrap ) Terrible vibration at take off. Felt like the drive shaft was binding.
    The dealer said the plug on the transmission which connects to the computer was totally corroded and they now think that's all it was to begin with.
    Hopefully I'll be done with the transmission problems once and for all.

Might be a good idea to check those connectors to the transmission !!!

2. Feb 25, 2014 at 4:54 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    If I fucked up the installation of a transmission and the customer brought it back to me, i would write it up as corroded existing electrical too.:D

3. Feb 25, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    bw4706

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    I just want my truck back. Getting a new Transmission out of the deal is nice, But 5 weeks back and fourth to the dealer to fix it ???? Pain in the ass.

4. Feb 25, 2014 at 6:07 AM
    GreatCanadian

GreatCanadian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    I was under my truck the other day putting brackets on for tube steps. I noticed some wiring plugs that are just wide open with no protection, and it struck me as odd. I can't see how that would not corrode in our salty winter weather. Is there something I can spray these connections with to help protect them?

5. Feb 25, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu

yup there is.

6. Feb 25, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    bw4706

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    There's an electrical connector grease they sell . I use it on all my light sockets . Now I'll be adding it to any and all electrical connectors under the truck.

7. Feb 25, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    Op, do you have a manual trans?...

hard to tell from your post and i'm not familiar with the Auto in
    these?...but are you saying the trans. was dropping out
    of 5th? to 4th?...was your gear shift lever moving?

Anybody have pix of these connectors?

Thanks,
    PC

8. Feb 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    bw4706

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Mine is an automatic. I was in 5th. gear between 40 - 50 mph . It downshifted into 4th. and would not up shift back into 5th. When it did this, the check engine light and traction lights came on.
    Just talked to the dealer and I asked if they replaced the connector. They said no, just cleaned it.
    Said the trans was covered by the warranty but not the connector.

9. Feb 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    ok, that makes more sense...sorry for my confusion.
    That is still a weird problem and sure seems if the connecter was the cause, then it should be covered as well?

anyway, hopefully that will get you back rolling.

PC

10. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Dielectric+Grease/N0941/C0139.oap

Dielectric grease

Dielectric grease is electrically insulating and does not break down when high voltage is applied. It is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly those containing rubber gaskets, as a means of lubricating and sealing rubber portions of the connector without arcing.
    A common use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections associated with gasoline engine spark plugs. The grease is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are located in areas of high temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature range expected. It can be applied to the actual contact as well, because the contact pressure is sufficient to penetrate the grease. Doing so on such high pressure contact surfaces between different metals has the advantage of sealing the contact area against electrolytes that might cause rapid galvanic corrosion.
    Another common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector. It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector in cases where the contact pressure is very low. Products designed as electronic connector lubricants, on the other hand, should be applied to such connector contacts and can dramatically extend their useful life. Polyphenyl Ether, rather than silicone grease, is the active ingredient in some such connector lubricants.

Note the bolded above. I have used it on low pressure connections, but know that it Could Cause Issues.

11. Feb 26, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    This is common after a transmission install . The dealership needs to perform a full road test with the Tech Stream connected to verify the new transmission is working correctly .
    These newer transmissions use adaptive learning but 5 weeks ?
    Shouldnt be up to the customer do drive it for a few days to get the bugs out .
    Call me " Paranoid " , but when I get a repaired vehicle back from the dealerership , I expect the new part to operate just as if it was new .
    Sounds to me that there may be a workmanship issue with the dealer the OP used .
    This is nothing new , Toyota techs simply following in the footsteps of GM and Chrysler thinking they too can get away with it .

12. Feb 27, 2014 at 3:33 AM
    bw4706

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    I totally agree. 5 weeks of back and fourth to the dealer was a PITA. I ended up with a new trans because the Tech didn't notice the corroded connector. Hopefully I'm done with this issue. Thanks for all the input.

13. Feb 27, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    Not too perceptive are ya!

Hey guys, would liquid electric tape be a good idea for those plugs? Seems to me that it would work ok.

14. Feb 27, 2014 at 6:33 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    maybe, but I would use dielectric grease.

15. Feb 27, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    I perceive that you might be a bit of a dull boy. BTW its called google, you can use it when you decide on buying a dictionary.

16. Feb 27, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    Google? Never heard of it. You're a funny boy.

17. Mar 27, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    bw4706

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Well, It turns out after all the trans problems it was the computer. I ended up with a new transmission, entire wiring harness and a new computer all covered under warranty.

bigfoote13 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top