1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 V6 vs i4 Double Cab 2X4, real world diffs, paved road driving

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mummel, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Feb 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    mummel

mummel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all - whats the word on the street? If I was using the truck just for commuting to work and traveling on weekends to the beach (2.5 hour highway drive, 190 miles), how would the i4 compare to the v6, in the real world (besides the i4 kicking the V6 in gas consumption). How would it feel?

If I was just doing this, then why buy a truck you ask? Well, it would be great for 20% of the time that I need it to transport trash/garden stuff to the dump, transporting compost back to my garden, loading my bike on the back, loading dirty stuff on the back when when go camping, transporting furniture, transporting firewood etc etc. The truck would have great utility. I cant wait to get one.

I was originally looking at the fully loaded TRD Off road V6 (which now comes with Entune Premium, check the Toyota website!!!!). But I am having second thoughts due to the cost (initial upfront and gas consumption). I can afford it, but I am wondering if it's the smart choice for me given the purpose of the vehicle. Plus if you think about it, I can buy a jet ski with the price diffs :)

What I'm going to miss is the potential improved snow performance (we have a 2X4 V6 Sienna but it manages fine in an urban environment, I love this car's engine BTW, silky smooth). Once our kids get older however, I know we are going to seriously miss 4X4 capabilities when we start hitting the ski slopes. We probably wont be limited from accessing certain slopes, but it would be easier and safer with a proper vehicle.

Also, I would love to be able to use the vehicle for beach driving and fishing. These would be the ultimate pleasure trips for me, but I would probably only do this 1 week of the year when I can get vacation time. I would miss this. But I guess I could work around this (rent a vehicle if need be, go with buddies etc).

The biggest miss out for me will be that I want to get a boat in the next 3 years, and a 2X4 i4 wont cut it. But getting the boat depends on so many things, and who knows what the future holds. I wanted to future proof myself, but if I cant get the boat for whatever reason (financial, job change etc), then I may have overshot on the car and ended up paying for capabilities I wont use. I could always sell the i4 and buy a proper towing vehicle down the road, but buying new cars and selling shortly after = big losses. This decision here isnt so simple.

What I would really like is the gas savings of going with the i4. It's hard to say, but I think I put 7k miles a year on my current car. I live really close to work. So gas savings is a big plus, but not a huge $ amount. I just like the idea of spending less on gas, because driving to the beach on weekends when I know it's costing my $10 more a trip bothers me, haha.

And the obvious. The biggest plus is the cost savings. The MSRP price diffs between the i4 2X4 Double Cab, and the V6 TRD Off Road Double Cad, is $8,345. Thats a big plus. I can do a sht load with the extra cash. Plus lets not forget the lower insurance premiums, the lower annual road tax expense etc.

So yes, I will miss out on certain benefits of going all in on the TRD Off Road, but perhaps the cost savings is the smart choice. But, it all comes down to how the i4 will feel (I'm going this weekend to test drive one). I did not like the i4 Sienna and opted for the V6, but that was a different engine altogether. From what I read, the i4 on the Tacoma is more engineered towards a truck and performs well (albeit noisy).

Those that have driven the i4 and the V6, can you share your thoughts on how they compare in an urban environment? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Feb 26, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    I would NOT buy a i4 double cab, power is gonna suck on hills and the mileage will not be worth the trade at least not to me, if you search there are threads were people complain and say its a bad option that should not be offered. I heard its not even a mileage improvement to get the i4 in a double cab

3. Feb 26, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    get the sr5 4x4 v6 and be done with it.

4. Feb 26, 2014 at 9:35 AM
    dsjones5

dsjones5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DSJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 MG DC Taco
    Seat covers, weather tech digi fit, bug deflector, plasti dip wheels, magnaflow muffler, and many more to come!.. as soon as i get money. Ill probably go broke typing this...

^^^^ what he said.

5. Feb 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    2003c5ae

2003c5ae Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    trd sport
    Custom Chrome Running Boards, Black Vinyl Tri Fold Tonneau, Polished Exhaust Tip, Cargo Extender, Glove Box & Console Organizer .
    Agree

6. Feb 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Get a TRD off road 4x4 and be done with it already!

7. Feb 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    I would not buy a 2wd truck unless i had something else to drive when it snows... even with winters and VSC, it is 100x better with 4x4 engaged.

I would go 4x4 - whatever you can afford. Remember the i4 has more power than the V6's from 79-95, and people get around just fine in those.... but i love my 1GR...

8. Feb 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    MJR

MJR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mickey
    Salado, TX & Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 LIMITED 4wd NIGHTSHADE & ‘23 T4R TRD ORP
    Removed factory bed cover and installed UnderCover Elite. Added LOCKERDOWN console safe.
    My two cents.... I was just there a few weeks ago. I am retiring the end on the month and do not own a car (bought two last week). I am the GM of a Toyota store in Texas. For the past 6 months I was only going to buy the 4dr 4 cly (old man truck) as I only drive the TRD's and wanted the lower setting unit to put crap in the back easy. Both my Parts Mgr and Head Service Tech told me I would get less mpg in the 4 cly as to the way I drive (no question they said). I ended up last week with a 4x4 TRD DCSB Off-Road and happy. I will never be off road and live in the middle of Texas but the thoughts of maybe beach and National Parks got me thinking better to have and not need than.....
    photo2_zps96678877_b1b25a79dde55a01496d468669f9b972e8c4f5c6.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. Feb 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    nice truck, and op listen too the wise man.

10. Feb 26, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    Lordaca

Lordaca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPRT DC LB 4x4
    Weathertech floor liners and wind deflector, OEM roof Rack, Wet Okoles seat covers, cb installed
    Like everyone has stated there are no positives having the four cylinder. The ride quality is going to be close to the same. Mileage is going to be marginal. Power is going to be inadequate.

Everyone with the I4 has all wished they had the V6 because the power is there if needed. I have been getting low 20s for gas mileage with a V6 4x4 Double cab long bed trd sport. I drive conservatively and have been trying to get to 24mpg. A good comparison is looking a fuelly.com and just comparing the averages on there.

From looking at that I think that 20.5mpg I4 vs 18.5mpg with the v6 is the answer you are looking for. Several people on here are also stating the v6 with the supercharger getting better mileage than NA. Then you have lots of reserve power.

So go with the TRD offroad v6 4x4 and be done with it. Then get them to add the SC and enjoy.

11. Feb 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    mummel

Member:
    Thank you. One of the best posts I've seen yet! This makes a lot of sense. Which models have the supercharger, or is this something that's aftermarket?

12. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    mummel

Member:
    So no one here with an I4 that has any positive comments :) ?

13. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    I am positive you will want a v6 after you buy the I4.

14. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    peto48

peto48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road Cement 4x4
    Salex Center console organizer, glove box organizer, Husky Xact contour front and rear digital floor liners, OEM black running boards, TRD PRO Sema 4runner wheels black, Blackout badge kit, Bakflip MX4 hard folding tonneau.
    There's your answer.

15. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    TJGARZA84

TJGARZA84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    SAN ANTONIO
    Vehicle:
    2012 TOYOTA TACOMA PRERUNNER SR5 - BLACK
    TINT - 20% FRONT - 5% REAR 3 INCH LIFT PAINT TO MATCH GRILL AND REAR BUMPER REMOVED ALL EMBLEMS
    This topic has been beat to death -- many threads on the topic.

here is a quote from the last thread I commented in,

Ok - alot of talk from alot of people that dont actually drive a 4cylinder Double Cab ---- well I have owned Two of them. both Double Cab 4 cylinder Prerunners.

A 2011 that I put about 25k on and then a Dodge Ram 3500 Dually decided to test the strength of this truck by running into the back of it. Tacoma took the hit like a beast.

It was a great truck so I got the exact same truck in a 2012 Model ..... I just hit 35k on it and it runs great.

I wont lie and say that im going to win any races with it, but it does its job. It is sluggish up hills and when entering the freeway but you cant be scared of it - downshift or press the gas, it will take off and you will feel the power of the 4cyclinder.

i trust this truck and the 4 cyclinder engine under the hood for the simple fact that the 4 cyclinder is the tried and true toyota engine that (knock on wood) refuses to die.

I use it for everything and it does what it needs to do - i have a heavy foot as well. i cant honestly compare it to a v6 since I have never put the miles of a V6 that I have on a 4cyclinder.

just like alot of the guys on this forum cannot compare the V6 to the 4 cyclinder because they simply have not driven both in a double cab

theres my 2 cents for what its worth.
    Best of luck in your decision.

Also both have had lifts and allterrains 265/75/ r16 -

16. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I have an I4, and I'm happy with it. It's a regular cab. :)

If I were getting a double cab "6 lug" (i.e. either 4x4 or PreRunner) it would be a V6 for sure.

The only way I'd consider the I4 for a double cab would be for some business use where there had to be three or four employees in the cab and a bunch of tools in the back, and in that case I'd pick the 5 lug, not the pre runner or 4x4.

The only people who save gas in an I4 are folks who don't drive in heavily urban areas with serious rush hour traffic and drive with knack for an extraordinarily light foot, and who, when finding themselves on a nearly empty two lane road are driving along at 55mph, not 75mph.

Urban rush hour traffic 75mph freeway drivers will see as good of gas mileage with the V6 as they would with the I4.

17. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    adamh1977

adamh1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    arkansas
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4
    any time fog,tinted windows to 5% ,plasti dipped gun metal gray,toytec 5100's eibach coils ,led map and dome lights
    I have a 06dclb Trd sport v64x4 and love it would not think about the i4at all yea people talk about gas but if you drive it rite you will be fine

18. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    Lordaca

Lordaca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPRT DC LB 4x4
    Weathertech floor liners and wind deflector, OEM roof Rack, Wet Okoles seat covers, cb installed
    Its a TRD supercharger and you can get the dealer to add it on. There are other aftermarket SCs like URD. I would stick with the TRD and keep the warranty. This might be my next mod.

19. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    I had the 2.7 i4 in my 2000 standard cab 4x4 tacoma. It was fine I that truck but I did, sometimes, wish for more: towing, anything at all in the bed. It was okay when empty...with the manual transmission. I can't imagine ever being happy with that engine in a 4 door 2nd gen tacoma. It would be crazy underpowered and not much fun to drive. Sounds like you have all kinds of things you like to do that 4wd will allow you to do safely and conveniently. It also sounds like you plan to have it for quite a while. Seems like a quality truck experience along with all of the quality of life experiences would more than make up for any upfront added costs, or maintenance, or gas. Plus, the resale value, if you care about such things, would have to be awful on a 4dr 2x4 I4 tacoma.

20. Feb 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    If you decide to purchase the 2wd, there is going to come a time, I guarantee it, when you wish you had 4X4 capabilities. And when that very moment arises (most likely when your wife and kids are in the truck, and at the most inopportune time imaginable), even if it's only once, you will kick yourself and say, "yup, should have bought the 4X4".

Oh, and do be honest, the I4, friend of the family had one, its was a pup (access cab model, manual). The thing was a dog, no two ways about it. It sucked at hills, when he put a load on it, watch out. Get the V6, there is zero comparison between the two.

Products Discussed in

To Top