1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please HELP, spider/tipod inner CV problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Drakivnsf, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Feb 26, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    Drakivnsf

Drakivnsf [OP] Dance Party Guru

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '12 White Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    TRD Supercharger, URD CAI, BRP pre-axle catback, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, Power Sliding rear window, Glassworks Unlimited Front Fenders, ScS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, 3" All-Pro Std Leafs, 2.0 Fox adj. res. shocks, 2.5 Fox res. Coilovers, All-Pro +2" LT kit, Timbren Bumpstops front and rear, All-Pro U-Bolt flip kit, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front bumper, RCI IFS Skid, RCI Sliders, more to come.....
    I was installing my LT kit today and me and a buddy got stuck on the cv axles. I have them off, got to removing the spider (aka tripod) gear and it just will not come off. Anyone have any tips? If I can't figure it out I will just take them somewhere to have them do it for me. And yes I did remove the c clip before trying to remove them. I tried using a hammer and even a vice. I have read around that a jaw puller will work, but how do you keep the jaws on the tripod without slipping off? or is there a different type of puller they were talking about? I was thinking of going to autozone to rent one and see if that works.

2. Feb 27, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    The inners slide right off if you remove the C clip. Might take a little massaging with a hammer. The outers are a mfer. I cut my stock axles, rolled the joint over, and pressed them out with a 40 ton press. There are better ways to do it, but as I was also installing new LT axles it worked. Try the pipe trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTooPkTAmIk

3. Feb 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, URD CAI, BRP pre-axle catback, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, Power Sliding rear window, Glassworks Unlimited Front Fenders, ScS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, 3" All-Pro Std Leafs, 2.0 Fox adj. res. shocks, 2.5 Fox res. Coilovers, All-Pro +2" LT kit, Timbren Bumpstops front and rear, All-Pro U-Bolt flip kit, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front bumper, RCI IFS Skid, RCI Sliders, more to come.....
    Yeah the inner isn't sliding right off...i dont wanna break it cause i was hitting it pretty hard to no avail.

4. Feb 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    Weird. Maybe soak it in penetrating oil for a while? The good thing is they are cheap, you can get a complete axle for under $100, and just take the inner off of that.

5. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    well i got the tripod off using a press. Cant get outer to release. this is a nightmare lol. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:18 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    Did you try the pipe trick? Use a hi lift handle or something?

7. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
  8. Feb 28, 2014 at 11:36 PM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah we had tried the pipe trick. That thing was stuck in there and would NOT come out for anyone. I took it somewhere and they had to cut it and then press it out. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. This entire install was a nightmare but its finally done. Would I ever do it again? Hell no!

Products Discussed in

To Top