1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remove center console lid padded top?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaymoussy, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Feb 27, 2014 at 1:19 AM
    jaymoussy

jaymoussy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA, US
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC Base 2.7l 4a
    My small dog likes to be between us, front legs on the center console lid, which I find too high, and unsafe for her.

Is removing the padded top of lid a big deal, leaving the hinged frame on?
    If easy to do, I could make her a flatter, lower, more rigid platform to stand on.

I did not get a chance to poke at the new-to-me truck much, darn freezing cold out here.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Feb 27, 2014 at 1:57 AM
    elguapotaco

elguapotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OR
    I'm curious why the height of the dog's position is unsafe for her? Are you worried about her flying through the windshield during a collision? My dog is 38lbs and he stands the same way - back legs on backseat, front legs on the center console - and it never occurred to me that it might not be safe. I always figured, since he's not wearing a seatbelt, he's fucked if we get into an accident. It has to be safer than being in the bed anyhow...

3. Feb 27, 2014 at 2:32 AM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    Not sure if that going to make any differance the pad/rubber part is like an 1/8 inch thick.

4. Feb 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    jaymoussy

jaymoussy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA, US
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC Base 2.7l 4a
    I looked to me like it was pretty thick, and with rounded edges, making the "stable", flat part smaller. Maybe the design has changed?

A small drop in height may also help, and I can put on a covering offering more grip. The other family car is an Odyssey, and dog enjoys being on the low, center tray, fitted with a small rug!

5. Feb 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    Jrahn0822

Jrahn0822 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB
    There really isn't going to be any way to make it safer for your pooch bud. It's super thin as is and you won't be able to take height away

Products Discussed in

To Top